Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tight fuel hose
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andrewck
I bought the AA lower fuel line kit for my ‘75. The short return hose in front that runs from the thicker return line to the tank I cannot get on the line for the life of me. Any tips or tricks to get the fuel hose over the metal nipples?
windforfun
QUOTE(andrewck @ Jan 28 2021, 08:28 PM) *

I bought the AA lower fuel line kit for my ‘75. The short return hose in front that runs from the thicker return line to the tank I cannot get on the line for the life of me. Any tips or tricks to get the fuel hose over the metal nipples?

Call George at AA. He's at 800-792-4944. He'll help you out.
ndfrigi
I believed return lines is always smaller diameter than the supply line.
andrewck
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jan 28 2021, 11:42 PM) *

I believed return lines is always smaller diameter than the supply line.

Hmm, Good to know. In either case, both hoses up front are 7mm so it is a problem regardless.
bdstone914
QUOTE(andrewck @ Jan 28 2021, 10:28 PM) *

@andrewck
If the hose is the correct size put the end in very hot water for a minute to soften. Lube the outside of the nipple it goes onto .
ndfrigi
Click to view attachment
andrewck
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jan 29 2021, 12:28 AM) *

Yes, this is the exact graphic I was using while installing my setup. If the supply line is larger, I have the stainless steel lines running through the car reversed.
JFJ914
QUOTE(andrewck @ Jan 29 2021, 10:25 AM) *

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jan 29 2021, 12:28 AM) *

Yes, this is the exact graphic I was using while installing my setup. If the supply line is larger, I have the stainless steel lines running through the car reversed.

If you have a '75 and you installed a large & small metal through tunnel line kit you put in the early 70 -74 kit. You should have 2 small metal lines in a 75-76 per the posted diagram.
andrewck
I installed the thin fuel line through the tunnel and it now fits well. I tried to install the tank this evening and the rear (supply) hard line from the tank is also larger diameter, thus I cannot get the rubber hose on. Is there a difference between early and late tanks? Is there a way to swap out the hard line from the tank for a thinner hard line? This car has been pure suffering the last couple of months and I’m beginning to feel defeated.

Click to view attachment
914sgofast2
Do not use braided fuel hose, it's not ethanol resistant. The bigger supply line is 3/8" and the smaller return line is 5/16" inside diameter. Buy some Gates Barrier Hose that is safe for use with ethanol and use that.

Let's the flames begin for saying not to use the old school German braided fuel hose.
andrewck
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Jun 26 2021, 10:23 PM) *

Do not use braided fuel hose, it's not ethanol resistant. The bigger supply line is 3/8" and the smaller return line is 5/16" inside diameter. Buy some Gates Barrier Hose that is safe for use with ethanol and use that.

Let's the flames begin for saying not to use the old school German braided fuel hose.

Thanks for the reply, but it still seems a little odd since the fuel line from the tank is 3/8, and the fuel filter is 7 mm. How do you other people handle this conversion? Would I run a reducer that is nipple by on both sides? I called AA, but they’re closed for the weekend
mepstein
I go to my local autozone and buy fuel injection hose by the foot. It’s a dollar or 2 per foot. I just walk in their back room with the fitting and buy the size that works. Takes 5 minutes.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(andrewck @ Jun 26 2021, 10:42 PM) *

I installed the thin fuel line through the tunnel and it now fits well. I tried to install the tank this evening and the rear (supply) hard line from the tank is also larger diameter, thus I cannot get the rubber hose on. Is there a difference between early and late tanks? Is there a way to swap out the hard line from the tank for a thinner hard line? This car has been pure suffering the last couple of months and I’m beginning to feel defeated.

Click to view attachment

agree.gif DON'T use the braided hose. Only use SAE 30R7 or higher rated fuel injection hose.

Yes I know it's not the correct look, but neither is a smoking burnt out pile of scrap metal that was your 914.
Suck it up.
andrewck
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 27 2021, 12:41 PM) *

QUOTE(andrewck @ Jun 26 2021, 10:42 PM) *

Click to view attachment

agree.gif DON'T use the braided hose. Only use SAE 30R7 or higher rated fuel injection hose.

Yes I know it's not the correct look, but neither is a smoking burnt out pile of scrap metal that was your 914.
Suck it up.

Noted and thanks all. Wish I hadn’t bought the stuff from AA and will get some other fuel line. I did buy a coupler to go from 3/8 to 1/4 so I can size down to my due filter

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Don’t use worm drive clamps. Use proper fuel line clamps available at flaps.
930cabman
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 27 2021, 11:05 AM) *

I go to my local autozone and buy fuel injection hose by the foot. It’s a dollar or 2 per foot. I just walk in their back room with the fitting and buy the size that works. Takes 5 minutes.

+1, much less expensive/easier to acquire than cloth braid and sounds as though much safer also.
ChrisFoley
On a '75 the two fittings on the tank and the two tunnel hard lines should be all the same size. 8mm hose is correct. Disregard any instructions to use 7mm hose.
The hose between filter and pump is 12mm id.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 27 2021, 01:05 PM) *

If its under $4 per foot it probably isn't high pressure FI hose.
andrewck
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Jun 27 2021, 03:32 PM) *

On a '75 the two fittings on the tank and the two tunnel hard lines should be all the same size. 8mm hose is correct. Disregard any instructions to use 7mm hose.
The hose between filter and pump is 12mm id.

This was one of my worries, that i had the incorrect size hard line inserts. I will try to do a search for 1975 lines and hopefully can turn something up
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.