Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Part Number Info: 280 ohm Resistor for 017 Head Temp Sender
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
Porsche is now showing them available again in PET. Cost is around $35 depending where you shop
Superhawk996
drooley.gif but barf.gif

Come on. $35 for a $2.00 component assembly? I'm all for OEM parts when resonable but that one is really pushing it. Doesn't even look like the orginal. The one I have is fatter and some sort of Red/Brown puke color and the end connections aren't period correct either. I might have been game if the details were correct. On second though - who am I kidding . . . still too much!

I know Radio Shack is out of business now but I guess they figure most people don't know about DigiKey, Mouser, etc.

Totally appreciate the heads up though! Thanks Mark!
914Sixer
When I started out at the phone company in the 80's we used resistors like this to set up party line ringers
Mikey914
Let me know I'll bring them in in bulk and sell at $3
Morph914
I was just going to ask for help identifying this piece, it was in one of the boxes containing all the parts to the 2.0 L engine that I purchased. Is this correct for a ‘73 2.0?
And where is it connected.

Thank you,
John

Click to view attachment
davep
Normally the resistor is connected to the cylinder head temperature sensor. It acts as a fixed resistance to modify the variable resistance of the sensor. I am not sure what the wattage of the device is, but from the size it may be 10 to 20 watts. Also very rugged for use in a hostile environment. If I remember correctly, it is used for the 1973 2.0 only. It kind of converts the FI components of a 1.7 to work with the 2.0 engine IIRC.
Morph914
QUOTE(davep @ Jan 30 2021, 12:38 AM) *

Normally the resistor is connected to the cylinder head temperature sensor. It acts as a fixed resistance to modify the variable resistance of the sensor. I am not sure what the wattage of the device is, but from the size it may be 10 to 20 watts. Also very rugged for use in a hostile environment. If I remember correctly, it is used for the 1973 2.0 only. It kind of converts the FI components of a 1.7 to work with the 2.0 engine IIRC.

Thank you
Superhawk996

I don't think it was your intention, but, beware of the temptation to imply the 1.7L FI components can work for the 1973 2.0L FI

ECU is unique to 73' - not shared with 1.7L
MPS is unique to 73 and not shared with 1.7L
TPS is unique to 2.0L
Injectors are unique to 2.0L

CHT sensor is unique + resistor in series that adds 270 ohms to whatever the sensor outputs. These CHT resistors are unique to 73' 2.0L setup. There is another thread currently being developed to show difference between the 1973 017 CHT sensor and the 012 sensor. The difference is substantial at lower temperatures during warm up.

Note the resistor is no where near 10W-20W which would require a heavy ceramic housing to dissapate that kind of heat. That plastic cigar housing is just there to protect the resistor from weather, chemicials, etc. There is no significant current flow though the CHT resistor. Any current would be on the order of milli-amps.

Brad Anders site lists it as 1/4W - 1/2W, which seems resonable. Personally, I'd go 1/2 watt but I'm sure that is overkill by a large margin.

Here's picture of the resitor in my parts intended to build up a 73' FI system to match my vehicle's build year. Slightly different that the other two posted in color, size and connectors but same function. From picture from @Morph914 it does appear there was significant variation in them.

Click to view attachment
Olympic 914
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jan 30 2021, 11:24 AM) *

I don't think it was your intention, but, beware of the temptation to imply the 1.7L FI components can work for the 1973 2.0L FI

ECU is unique to 73' - not shared with 1.7L 037 ECU is used on Both the 2.0 and 1.7 in '73
MPS is unique to 73 and not shared with 1.7L
TPS is unique to 2.0L
Injectors are unique to 2.0L

CHT sensor is unique + resistor in series that adds 270 ohms to whatever the sensor outputs. These CHT resistors are unique to 73' 2.0L setup. There is another thread currently being developed to show difference between the 1973 017 CHT sensor and the 012 sensor. The difference is substantial at lower temperatures during warm up.

Note the resistor is no where near 10W-20W which would require a heavy ceramic housing to dissapate that kind of heat. That plastic cigar housing is just there to protect the resistor from weather, chemicials, etc. There is no significant current flow though the CHT resistor. Any current would be on the order of milli-amps.

Brad Anders site lists it as 1/4W - 1/2W, which seems resonable. Personally, I'd go 1/2 watt but I'm sure that is overkill by a large margin.

Here's picture of the resitor in my parts intended to build up a 73' FI system to match my vehicle's build year. Slightly different that the other two posted in color, size and connectors but same function. From picture from @Morph914 it does appear there was significant variation in them.

Click to view attachment

[
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Jan 30 2021, 12:19 PM) *

ECU is unique to 73' - not shared with 1.7L 037 ECU is used on Both the 2.0 and 1.7 in '73

@"Olympic_914"
Good catch.

I should have just copied Anders verbatim

"Note: Use only the CU13X or the 022 906 021 E (Bosch 0 280 000 037) ECU with the 1973 2.0L engine."

So the inference is that although that ECU can be used by the 1.7L's, the 2.0L must use a particular ECU to work with the 1973 Unique MPS and CHT.
davep
The same ECU was used with both 1.7 & 2.0 was my recollection also although I have not looked at the tables for a decade or so. So the resistor does fudge the temp sensor to work with the ECU and feed the 2.0. The new ECU for 74 had the addition resistance built in, and the separate component was no longer required. I stand corrected on the wattage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.