Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Texas to San Francisco trip to get 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JWest
Hey guys, I am coming out to buy "Jeffs74~914"'s old car (if you remember the thread he just got a /6 and the 74 has to go).

I would like to get together with anyone in that area for dinner on Thursday July 31st if possible. Brad, will you be around? I know nothing out there, so if interested how about suggesting a place? chowtime.gif

I will be driving the teener back to Fort Worth over the Aug 1st weekend driving.gif , so if anyone wants to send me a phone number in case I need it on the way - please feel free!
Brad Roberts
Bad timing.

I'll be leaving for the Oregon get together (JRust) July 31st.

Damn.

B
brant
Mr. Adams,

what is your route between?
brant
JWest
Brad, that sucks. Will I see you at the MUSR at least?

brant, I think the route will be south of you. The mapping programs tell me to go through New Mexico, either north through Albuquerque or south near the border.

If anyone knows better I'm open to suggestions.
Aaron Cox
go thru so-cal lol lol2.gif
Brad Roberts
Sorry about that. I had already committed to the Oregon gathering.

I will make the MUSR.

If you could come in a day earlier... we would be all set.

We could do a "Tied House" dinner like we do for other "out of towners".

B
elmonte
If you are looking for a scenic route through calif then take 580 out of livermore
205 to manteca 120 to YOSEMITE over TIOGA PASS the most beautiful place on earth
to 395 south to barstow. A little longer than hwy 5 or 99 south but much much nicer drive
if you have the time. It's a route you won't soon forget!!!!!
JWest
Ok, Brad, to show how much I really like you I am seeing about flying rather than driving out.

My biggest concern would be taking my tools and parts on the plane - what are people's experience with checking bags with "scary" tools in them? I know I would not be carrying my meters, cables, and hand tools on the plane. ohmy.gif
Brad Roberts
Just check them as lugage (sp?) wont be a problem.

Let me know when and where... I would assume flying into Oakland would be your best bet. Its a toss between Oakland and San Jose airports.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(James Adams @ Jul 21 2003, 01:13 PM)
what are people's experience with checking bags with "scary" tools in them? I know I would not be carrying my meters, cables, and hand tools on the plane. ohmy.gif

check-in should be fine. it's the carry on that has them freaked out ...

Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 21 2003, 12:57 PM)
We could do a "Tied House" dinner like we do for other "out of towners".

hooters?
Brad Roberts
Is it open yet ??

He is semi "against" the Hooters chain (how about: not fond of ?)

B
Jenny
Hooters has been open for about a month already. But there's about a 2-3hr wait. bs.gif

I know a girl that's working there.

Jen
Brad Roberts
They where slated to open in June (the SF store)

I need directions... the Hooters sight hasnt been updated.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jenny @ Jul 21 2003, 01:25 PM)
Hooters has been open for about a month already. But there's about a 2-3hr wait. bs.gif

2 hour wait? wtf? they're not THAT good wink.gif ...

i guess it is "Tied House" then.

Andy
JWest
Brad - you have a good memory. Not too fond of would be the best way to put it. Don't worry, I'm not a "hollier than thou" type rolleyes.gif

The good airfare is to SFO. I'll pick up a rental there and I'll be able to get anywhere. My dad is retired and was coming to see us (well the grandkids anyway) in August, so I had him back up the trip to co-drive with me.

So, we can plan it for the Tied House on the Wednesday the 30th?
Brad Roberts
Plan it.. Done

Tied House on the 30th.

I'll start a another thread...

I have a very very good memory.. just cant speel.

B
JWest
Ok, next item. I'll be coming in on the night of the 29th (actually the morning of the 30th) at 1:30 AM. Where should I stay? Is there a cheap hotel you can direct me to?

How about a bed for me and my dad on the night of the 30th after we do dinner? Anybody got a place to sleep?

Thanks!
Brad Roberts
You can stay with me... problem is: I'm 1.5 hours from Tied House. I'm about 45 minutes north of the SF airport... Tied House is 45 minutes south of the airport. It would make for some "windshield time"..drive to my place when you arrive... then drive back down to Tied House later on that day.

The best bet would be to get you into a Hotel near the Tied House in Mountain View.

Problem is: they will 80-100$ a night rooms...

B
SirAndy
ok, i know all you guys don't like hooters, but just in case you couldn't find the SF hooters, here's a link with directions ...

Hooters in SF
Brad Roberts
Figures. I checked 2 weeks ago and they didnt have a listing for it.

B
nebreitling
QUOTE(Jenny @ Jul 21 2003, 12:25 PM)

Jen

jen,

is she single? does she like red 914's?

-nathan
TheCabinetmaker
James.
The trip back through southern Ar and Nm will be brutal this time of year(and as boring as I 40). Try a route through north Ar and nm or southern Utah and Colo. if you have time. Lots of curvies.

Have a good trip and remember an extra set of points and dwell meter in the mountains.
seanery
I agree,

I've driven from LA to Indy in the summer and it's hot. Southern Colorado has some great roads.
Go through Ouray. It's my favorite town in the US.
Brad Roberts
Yeah James ???

What are you thinking dragging your DAD on a 1600 mile roadtrip during the hottest month of the year for the south ?? (August for you Yankees)

You wont find a single HWY btw here and Ft.Worth that wont be over 100deg. during the day.

HWY5 is brutal this time of year... Death valley out on HWY40... scary.

B
VegasRacer
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 21 2003, 11:39 AM)
Mr. Adams,

what is your route between?

Lemme know if yer commin thru Vegas on the way home.
JWest
My Dad's a former Navy fighter pilot and long time hot rodder. He can take it.

I'm going to grab hotel near SFO on the 29th, and Jeff will put me up on the 30th. Thanks for the offer of a place to sleep anyway, Brad.

I'll look into to some more northern routes and run it by you guys.
Gint
Let us know if you end up coming through Denver (I doubt it, but...).
JWest
Looks like I-40 is the only option. If I go north (I-80) then it adds 400 miles to the trip.
Jenny
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Jul 21 2003, 07:14 PM)
is she single? does she like red 914's?

-nathan

Nathan, I *think* she's single. She lives in a house in SF with three other girls. Sounds like she likes being single though. I don't know her too well, but she comes off as being really high maintenance, not unlike our little cars. But our cars don't whine as much. laugh.gif

Jen
rhodyguy
brad, you think 80 to 100 is steep? i paid that for a motel 6 with crappy coffee in arcata last month ($84). james, you could speed run up to monmouth in a day. return thru the 4 corners region, mesa verde, very cool.

kevin
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jenny @ Jul 22 2003, 08:37 AM)
She lives in a house in SF with three other girls. Sounds like she likes being single though. I don't know her too well, but she comes off as being really high maintenance, not unlike our little cars. But our cars don't whine as much. laugh.gif

do they have another room for rent?
Jenny
I don't think so. Why? You looking to move out? blink.gif

Jen
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jenny @ Jul 22 2003, 10:03 AM)
I don't think so. Why? You looking to move out? blink.gif

haha, nope, no worries, i just love girlzzz ...

Andy
Brad Roberts
Come on Andy..you know the type.

Act like a bad boy down on his luck and they will let you stay there for free. clap56.gif

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.