Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 74 2.0 with holes. Big ones
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RussParker
So I have a 74 2.0 car my dad Gave me. Unfortunately it had been left out and it’s not much more that parts. I drove the car the last time it ran in 1986.

The car has a rebuilt transmission. And a few months before got parked the 2.0 was rebuilt at a local dealership. It was running great and only had about 3000 miles on it when it developed a miss.
I was young had no money and no experience. I got some really bad advice from an “expert” and the car stayed parked.
Fast forward all these years and I get the car or what’s left of it from my dad.

It’s sad! The car has holes in it you can throw a ball through.
I am about to start parting what’s left out.

Here is the big question!
I think, because it’s so far gone, that I should cut the frame forward of the motor mount. Disconnect the clutch speedometer and anything else going the the front of the car and drop out the entire motor trans axle everything as a complete unit??? What do you think. Is there any reason this will not work. I hate to break it all down when it’s all complete and when someone is ready to go thru it it’s all there.

I have a 72 1.7 car that needs restoration. Unfortunately my family has been thru some serious health issues and I don’t know if I will ever get to restore it. It makes me sick to see them sit.

Any advice would be really appreciated.
Thanks
Russ

I will try to get a few photos and post them.
bbrock
welcome.png I've been there myself. Life does get in the way. The first thing to do is post pics of your car. You'd be surprised what can be restored but severe cases usually make sense only for DIY folks who can do welding and fabrication themselves. A 74 2.0L is a desirable car. Post as many pics as you can and folks here will be able to give much better advice.
RussParker
Thanks. I will go get some photos. But it’s really bad!
mb911
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 31 2021, 09:39 AM) *

welcome.png I've been there myself. Life does get in the way. The first thing to do is post pics of your car. You'd be surprised what can be restored but severe cases usually make sense only for DIY folks who can do welding and fabrication themselves. A 74 2.0L is a desirable car. Post as many pics as you can and folks here will be able to give much better advice.

agree.gif

Check out my build thread as well as @bbrock and you will see what is possible.
Shivers
Yes you can drop the engine/ trans as a package.
RussParker
QUOTE(Shivers @ Jan 31 2021, 03:06 PM) *

Yes you can drop the engine/ trans as a package.

Thanks!!! Any tricks? It looked like it was possible!
RussParker
More photos Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
RussParker
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 31 2021, 02:20 PM) *

agree.gif

Thanks. I am trying to check it out and only seem to get to your profile. How do I see your post
bbrock
Believe it or not, your car doesn't look terribly different than mine did when I started my resto. Still can't say from your pics what it will take to bring the car back to the living though. My advice would be to pull it out of the dirt and clean all the leaves and snakes out (and take pics of those snakes because I like seeing them smile.gif ).

Then take a look at the vid and get pictures of the trouble spots Ian highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N_i7l0vhr4

Even if your car is salvageable, it might be the right decision for you if you aren't itching for a 5-year project, but it will give a clearer picture of what is possible for your car and what will give you the best value among keeping, selling as a project, or selling parts.

For dropping the engine and trans. Ian has a great video for that too! beerchug.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMesGrjgcvg
mb911
QUOTE(RussParker @ Jan 31 2021, 12:26 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 31 2021, 02:20 PM) *

agree.gif

Thanks. I am trying to check it out and only seem to get to your profile. How do I see your post

Here you go
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=269606&hl=
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.