Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 914 2.0L hydraulic lifter & pushrods
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MFejsa
Hi, 2 of my hydraulic lifters have failed on my Porsche 914 2.0L (GA engine). When the lifters failed it also bent one of my push rods.

I am going to do an AApiston cylinder / piston replacement but also need / want to replace all the lifters and push rods.

I've measure my push rod and its 10.3 inches long.

Questions below:

1. Are all lifter brands the same length?
2. Can someone recommend a replacement lifter and compatible push rod length? If so, please provide website, brand and length of push rod.

Regards

Michael

Mark Henry
The 914 never had hydraulic lifters, so that's a modification by a PO. The lifters were used in the VW bus (van, kombi) from IIRC 1978-83.
Failing lifters, are often the result of poor tolerances of the lifter bore. This can not be fixed by simply replacing the lifters.

Mechanical lifters are more mantainance (adjustments) but will out last hydraulic lifters.

Personally I'd get a Web camshafts #73, new matching lifters, and stock aluminum
mechanicial pushrods.
914werke
agree.gif its a PO mod. You may also want to scope the piston crowns & determine if you have bus (low compression) pistons also.
Source OE push rods out of a bus & buy new Hydro lifters, set up the lash correctly, and make sure you dont have any oiling problems
Short of splitting the case & replacing the cam & all the associated valve train items
Its your shortest path to getting it back operating.
MFejsa
Thanks for your response Mark. I think I got a dud engine. Im sourcing another replacement engine now as I dont know what else is wrong with it. Will probably rebuilt sometime in the future when I got some time on my hands. Cheers
MFejsa
Appreciate the advise. Will be scrapping this engine as I dont know what else is going with it. Will rebuilt it later. CHeers
VaccaRabite
I wonder if its just a Bus motor that someone swapped in at some point to get the car running.

But, hydraulic lifters were a popular if misguided "upgrade" for decades - until the early 2000s.

The entire engine need not be scrapped. But pull it and see what you have. Taking the motor out and pulling the heads off is only about a day of work, and you need to do that anyway if you are doing a top end rebuild.

Zach
MFejsa
Hi, ive pulled the engine out and taken one of the heads off. Im not sure if the camshaft is suitable for the hydraulic lifter application. I was planning to strip it down completely and refurb the whole motor some time later after I get a new engine in. Dont want to spend money of top end only find problems with the bottom end.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.