Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1974 914 - Tig welding and Metalshaping saved it! Back on the road!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
TRS63
Hello all,

member and owner of a 1974 1,8l since a few months, I still did not introduced myself.. now correcting it smile.gif

First about myself: I am a french guy living in Stuttgart, 32 years old, mechanical engineer but my real passions are metalshaping and aircooled VWs and Porsche biggrin.gif

After dreaming about a 914 since years, I decided end of last year that it was time to fulfill the dream and after seeing a few 914s, I bough that one.

About the car: originally from the US (sadly I know nothing about its history there), it is a 1974 1,8l 914 originally phoenix red. It was sometimes repainted, before 1991 when it was imported to the UK. It ran there until 2009, where it found its way back to Germany. And since october with me!

It is far from perfect but a good driver, which was my goal, as I want to enjoy it on the road during the restoration of my karmann ghia (for the curious: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic...&highlight= ).

my plan:
-drive drive drive drive (made 1000miles the first month with it aktion035.gif )
-in the future: repair the rust, paint it original color back, improve the handling (it still has no sway bars, shocks are quite old, frame stiffener will be ordered,..), some interior modification,.. goal is to keep it usable on the street, while lightening it where possible and putting some more power (I am in love with the sound of a 6 but might keep it a big 4 for weight and legal reasons..).

Some pictures:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

cheers

Antoine
JeffBowlsby
Nice looking 914 Antoine. All those mods are a slippery slope. Maybe just enjoy the car for what it is for awhile after maintaining it to factory spec.
mepstein
welcome.png
TRS63
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Feb 1 2021, 09:34 AM) *

Nice looking 914 Antoine. All those mods are a slippery slope. Maybe just enjoy the car for what it is for awhile after maintaining it to factory spec.

You are so right ! That is why my plan is just as you say : first enjoying it, correcting what is necessary on the way (car was driven maximum 300 miles a year the last 10 years..), learning how it is and what I feel I need in the future.. but let’s first enjoy!

Cheers

Antoine
Shivers
My 72 came without sway bars, and it was fun. Then I joined this group and the next thing I knew I had sway bars, front torsion bars, rear springs, brake mods, and shifting mods. The slope is slippery... But dang, it is a really freaking fun slope.
ndfrigi
Congratulations Antoine @TRS63!
Nice start with 914! Looks nice and clean. Yes just drive it and enjoy while doing some upgrade one at a time!
930cabman
Welcome aboard, another fine craftsman in the ranks. Your work on the Ghia rocks!!
wes
welcome.png yes drive drive drive enjoy!
wonkipop
nice car TRS63

love the bug in the background.

surprised it does not have sway bars.
i once got told all 74 1.8s & 2.0s came with sway bars.
(source my old mechanic way back in the early 90s in chicago).
an old wives tale?

wouldn't worry about the colour. $.
though i do like phoenix red since i got one, same as yours in that colour.

sway bars/shocks make a difference in the here and now.
not too hard to install. front one might need some holes drilled in the wheel wells or they might be already there. just redid all the suspension / sway bar bushings on mine and had the fuel tank out so eyeballed it all again. having all that back in order has made a night and day difference to the car.
TRS63
Thanks to all of you for the kind answers and the warm welcome beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

@930cabman : thanks a lot, that's the kind of feedback that motivates me even more! I am only doing it as a hobby but enjoying it a lot wub.gif wub.gif

@wonkipop : Thanks, the bug was my dailydriver for the last 4 years, and might become it again, well half time with the 914 biggrin.gif
it has no sway bars and no holes for it in the front, so I need to order all the parts and then plan one long weekend to remove the tank, clean everything, weld the sway supports front and back, and then mount everything. But no emergency, I learn to know the car as is and will improve it when time comes!

Speaking of what, I will share what I did in my first 2 months of ownership smile.gif

I had once some water in due to the front seal being in bad condition.. so I changed the seal:
-before:
IPB Image

IPB Image

-and after:
IPB Image

IPB Image

and then I had the suspicion that water came under the "noise isolation" of the floor so startet to check:
IPB Image

and of course water under it:
IPB Image

so I removed it all (was already planned, to save some weight..):
IPB Image

but luckily it was in good condition under it and only with some surface rust. So I just cleaned it, treated where there was surface rust:
IPB Image

IPB Image

and then a fresh coat of paint:
IPB Image

IPB Image

and the last step was removing the engine bay isolation, as it's so heavy and prone to keep humidity. It was indeed not so nice:
IPB Image

so cleaned under it, remove the glue and a fresh coat of paint:
IPB Image

Cheers

Antoine
Arno914
Bonjour Antoine,

welcome.png

Hope to see you on the autobahn this spring! dry.gif

Looks like you have a real solid 914 there.

Arno
jhynesrockmtn
Looks like a great car, congrats!
krazykonrad
welcome.png

A lot of my family lives in Korntal.

Konrad
Root_Werks
Nice find! That is a clean 914 and you are doing well to preserve it.
ValcoOscar
welcome.png

beerchug.gif beer.gif drunk.gif aktion035.gif

Antoine-
To an outsider, you just bought a used car. But to us here on 914World, you bought much more than a car. You bought an addiction. Ask me how I know. idea.gif

Congrats on your new 914, it’s a beauty.

Thrilled when a young fellow like you takes the plunge.

Oscar

FRUNKenstein
Stuttgart? Well, you picked the right town to be a Porsche fan in!

Beautiful car. Congratulations & enjoy!!
brcacti
Looks pretty good congratulations on your purchase mine is also a 74 1.8. driving.gif driving.gif
Camaro Mike
Great looking car! Congratulations!
TRS63
thanks to all of you for the warm welcome!

@Arno914 : sure hope to see you! But I avoid the Autobahn, too boring..you can find me on small curvy roads beerchug.gif

@ValcoOscar : you are right, I already feel it..can't stay one week without driving it.. I am jumping in it every day without salt on the roads driving.gif biggrin.gif

@FRUNKenstein : you are right about the city..and it's not a coincidence goof.gif I actually first moved here when I had to choose a city for the end of my study because of Stuttgart being the city of Porsche laugh.gif

Well, next step on the 914: all shifting bushings, as they all are terribly destroyed/never been changed sad.gif

Antoine
wonkipop
QUOTE(TRS63 @ Feb 3 2021, 03:17 AM) *

thanks to all of you for the warm welcome!

@Arno914 : sure hope to see you! But I avoid the Autobahn, too boring..you can find me on small curvy roads beerchug.gif

@ValcoOscar : you are right, I already feel it..can't stay one week without driving it.. I am jumping in it every day without salt on the roads driving.gif biggrin.gif

@FRUNKenstein : you are right about the city..and it's not a coincidence goof.gif I actually first moved here when I had to choose a city for the end of my study because of Stuttgart being the city of Porsche laugh.gif

Well, next step on the 914: all shifting bushings, as they all are terribly destroyed/never been changed sad.gif

Antoine

interesting you are a mech engineer.

certain cars are engineer's cars i have noticed.
not than i am an engineer, but i sort of wanted to be one a long time back and deviated slightly. so instead i have just collaborated with one in my work for 30 years.

my engineer mate's taste in cars is interesting in a monocular sort of way.
SAAB, SAAB, SAAB, SAAB.......and now he doesn't know what to do since its all over.
he started with a SAAB 99 EMS way back when.

when the renault clio 172s and 182s came out in aus, it was engineers who picked them all up. that was how i found out how good those things were. went to lunch with an engineer in brisbane. that was a great ride to lunch that one. went out and got a 172 straight away. still got it.

a lot of engineers also drove citroens. how i got my intro to those cars.
have a citroen xm v6 stashed away thanks to an engineer.
a 914 is a walk in the park to work on compared to that.
but when it goes,....its an engineering masterpiece.
i've notice these days that a lot of ex mechanics now own the xm in its late middle age phase. you need to be very handy with a spanner and have time to keep one on the road.

as is the 914.
a 1.8 914 in american spec is a radical piece of kit on all fronts.
forward thinking stuff. maybe not fast (in a straight line). but its german thinking at its best.
apart from the rust problem.
(back about 30 years ago when i first had the 914 in australia, the only folks who offered me enthusiast comments were.......engineers - the rest of them were telling me to park my vw somewhere else).

you are going to enjoy this car.
its got everything that is good about a bug and its got everything thats bad about a bug fixed. not that bugs are bad. i had one just like yours as my first car.
powder blue 64.

whats the vintage on your bug mate. beerchug.gif
MM1
welcome.png

Welcome, Antoine, glad you found the Mecca of 914 forums . . . I bet the clean look of that black 914 really "cuts the rug" in Stuttgart!
TRS63
Thanks all for the welcome !

Two days ago snow was on the fields but the streets were dry and without salt.. so I enjoyed a winter ride:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Cheers

Antoine
jhynesrockmtn
Looks like a great car. My 73 that was converted into a GT Jager tribute by a previous owner started life black and I love this color on a 914.
TRS63
Further on my way to improve it while driving it biggrin.gif
This time I took care of the targa fixation in the trunk:
-before:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

And after:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Stay tuned

Antoine
TRS63
Parallel to driving it, I continue to improve what needs to be done, for example the gearbox mounts:
IPB Image

IPB Image

Shift bushings arrived and are next on the list biggrin.gif

Ah, and that also showed up:
IPB Image

Cheers

Antoine
TRS63
So, I did work more on the car sunglasses.gif

Both (old, porous) gearbox mounts are changed:
IPB Image

Then I starte with the bushings. First the firewall one.. Or what was left of it huh.gif rolleyes.gif yes, it wasn't in the firewall anymore, but hanging on the rod: laugh.gif
IPB Image

It was quite worn laugh.gif :
IPB Image

So I tried to replace it with the one from the set I bought:
IPB Image

But no chance. Boiling, grease, oil, violence,.. Nothing worked. So of course I came back here, made a research and.. Tadaaa:
http://914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=345742

Thanks to @Frankvw I had my answer first.gif so one more order and go:
IPB Image

Boiling, 15sec later it was in aktion035.gif

Then I continued with the next ones:
IPB Image

IPB Image

And the cover that needed a change lol-2.gif
IPB Image

And that was it for the worn parts :
IPB Image

Car is back on the roads, and seems to shift better (but still room for improvements..). Let's enjoy the spring, I took it directly for a small ride with my 5 years old boy that helped for all the changes, giving me the tools or moving things when 2 hands weren't enough :
IPB Image

Cheery

Antoine
Flyingmonkey
The car looks great! I love the red car carpet and nice work on the floors. New mounts will definitely make a difference.
TRS63
Got a nice surprise from a friend:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Some more news are coming soon, as I am making another improvement on the car..

Until then.. I am driving it.. A lot biggrin.gif
IPB Image

Cheers

Antoine
maf914
Welcome Antoine, and congratulations on your new 914.

My 76 did not originally have sway bars. I added front and rear sway bars and Koni shocks. Major improvement in handling. You will really appreciate the front sway bar and good shocks.

In your shift linkage bushing photos I did not see the two shift rod coupler bushings (located just past the firewall). These are very important. Years ago these failed on my car and it was impossible to shift the transmission properly. I hope you check those.

I would love to have a set of the Porsche factory 914 repair manuals, but I would prefer English, as my German is almost nonexistent.
TRS63
Hi Mike,

You're right, I did not change them. I bought them, and there was no play in mine so I did not change them. But I will check them again in a couple miles, as they might fail being now the new "weak point" after changing all the others rolleyes.gif

For the document, I am lucky being able to read them in German..but hey, that was exactly my motivation to move to Germany 10 years ago biggrin.gif

Thanks for the Feedback on the sway bar, I will keep in touch when it's mounted smile.gif

Antoine
maf914
QUOTE(TRS63 @ May 27 2021, 12:17 PM) *

Hi Mike,

You're right, I did not change them. I bought them, and there was no play in mine so I did not change them. But I will check them again in a couple miles, as they might fail being now the new "weak point" after changing all the others rolleyes.gif

When the shift coupler bushings in my car failed, it was as if the black plastic bushing material had disintegrated. The rubber boot was full of black plastic chunks and particles. These were the original factory bushings. At that time my car had about 100,000 miles and was 16 years old. The replacement bushings appeared to be polyurethane.

Since you probably don't know how old your bushings are, you may want to replace yours as a precaution while your shift linkage is apart.
Ansbacher
I see Ludwigsburg plates on the car. Are you there or in Stuttgart proper?

Ansbacher
TRS63
Mike that's a good advice smile.gif

Ansbacher: both biggrin.gif I live near Ludwigsburg, but my (hobby-) shop is in Stuttgart biggrin.gif

Antoine
TRS63
Well, my shift coupler bushings seems quite recent, maybe done by the PO? smile.gif

Anyway, I finally took the big step and made an order by Martin Bott for its short shifter. It is now mounted, and I did in the same time repaint the tunnel and removed some more isolations/carpet.. I am a lover of the "light is right" philosophy" and this car will be such a built. Radio delete will follow when I will apply some more plans I have for the car. But enough talk, here the pictures:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Feedback : I don't think I can be positive enough about it. Shifting is now precise, easy, fast, it took away the only big issue I had to appreciate fully the car.. Now I am 100% in love. I took it on tuesday for a spirited drive on small curvy roads and had a hard time coming back home.. aktion035.gif wub.gif I really love this little car wub.gif

Antoine
TRS63
Nothing special here but I am enjoying it a lot on secondary roads with lots of curves.. What a car wub.gif wub.gif (and yes I know slippery slope.. I am starting to collect parts during this driving time.. Stiffening parts, suspensions,.. Let's see ! biggrin.gif )
Couple pictures:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Cheers

Antoine
Cairo94507
@TRS63 So glad to see you enjoying your car and doing what they love doing- driving. beerchug.gif
TRS63
Thanks a lot beerchug.gif

Took it out yesterday for a local Cars&coffee with my 5 years old boy, enjoyable time with him sunglasses.gif
IPB Image

IPB Image

Cheers

Antoine
JOEPROPER
Only the best cars are allowed to park on the brick pavers! Nice car! beerchug.gif
wonkipop
the white wart look is pretty good.
beerchug.gif

is that a 912 plain shifter knob?
i think i might have to copy you (except i'm sticking with the peterbilt truck gear shift).
beer.gif
TRS63
Thanks guys!
No 912 shift knob, it's the one delivered with the short shifter from Bott biggrin.gif but that will change soon with a surprise there shades.gif

Antoine
TRS63
Well, nothing really new here.. Just driving it a lot smile.gif
IPB Image

And got myself a nice book for inspiration.. I know slippery slope.. rolleyes.gif smash.gif
IPB Image

But no big work yet, I need to move forward on my crazy ghia project!

Cheers

Antoine
djway
I just figured out the Ghia in the old stone and timber garage on the Samba is you smile.gif
Some great metal fabrication.
TRS63
QUOTE(djway @ Jul 24 2021, 10:55 PM) *

I just figured out the Ghia in the old stone and timber garage on the Samba is you smile.gif
Some great metal fabrication.

Yes it's me, thanks! biggrin.gif

About metalwork.. Well, looks like the slippery slope is about to start rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

The previous owner had the car more than 10 years, but drove it 100 miles a year, only with perfect weather and always garaged. The black paint (at least 20 years old) was not perfect but not bad too..and it's normally a good sign after so many years.. rolleyes.gif

Then I came.. And what did I do.. driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif and driving.gif driving.gif
Which revealed some not so nice things.. Paint is showing some bubbles in some places.. And on some places more than just bubbles.. headbang.gif Small examples:
IPB Image

IPB Image

So... Let's remove the rockers rolleyes.gif

Driver's side:
IPB Image

And under it no surprises, looks good aktion035.gif
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

And the passenger side..
IPB Image

Well, under the door sill is not that bad:
IPB Image

But under the long.. Well fiberglass was well hidden: sad.gif sad.gif icon8.gif
IPB Image

IPB Image

And on the inside under the belt fixation was also nicely fiberglassed headbang.gif chair.gif icon8.gif
IPB Image

Due to the access I have no pictures but of course the hell hole is with fiberglass..

So... I have no choice than taking care of it seriously, I love metalwork and I am not the type doing things halfway/hiding stuff..

So the plan:
-first finishing the heater channel I started on my ghia to avoid stopping something in the middle of it and moving it again in the back of my shop

-repairing the necessary on the Porsche. No extra fancy stuff (I want to have it on the road as fast as possible again to enjoy it and work again on the ghia) but all the necessary: frunk sealing channel, sail panel on both sides, hell hole and right long. What is open is if I am doing in the same time the inner long stiffening/GT stiffening/outside repaint. We'll see biggrin.gif

I read a lot here on the forum to get it as good and efficient as possible.
I will have a lot of questions but for now:
-I will put of course doors bracing, but how do I handle the tube for the hell hole welding? On the lift, without all suspensions, wheels,..? On the floor on its wheels ? On jackstand but positioned where ? I would love to hear your advices here!
-would you build a "frame jig" or with the door braces and if necessary a couple other braces/jig (like trailing arm mount to get the position if rusted) that should be OK ?

Thanks a lot and stay tuned, things will move here!

Antoine
TRS63
Hi guys,

What do you recommand for my repair on the long/hell hole?
-door braces and Body Dolly like the one from Jeff Hail ?
If so, how do you put it on the Dolly ? I don't own a 2 post lift, "only" a scissor lift, which means no way to get it up with it and put the dolly under it.. If with jackstand, where would it be safe to position them to have the car high enough to be put on the dolly but not in the way?

I want to prepare it the best I can and look forward to your advices!

Thanks

Antoine
TRS63
I thought a lot about it yesterday.. I think I will do it like that :
-put door braces
-remove the engine, tank,..
-put the car on jackstands using long wood to get the jackstands out of the way
-remove the front and back axles
-make a frame like this one (it's my ghia) :
IPB Image

IPB Image

that will be fixed to as many points as possible (front suspensions points, engine mount, gearbox mount,... to be both stable and usable as a jig for the long/eventually suspension console. Bonus will be to be able to mount it on my rotisserie biggrin.gif

Sounds like a plan or ?

Antoine
Arno914
Hello Antoine,

depending on the amount of welding necessary on your 914 you might want to borrow my "Celette".

I wish you success

Arno

wonkipop
thats a plan.
you are going to need to spin it.
good luck and you did the right thing driving it and enjoying it first.

TRS63
Thanks a lot beerchug.gif I started to measure everything to make my frame jig. smile.gif

Arno you've got a PM biggrin.gif

Antoine
Tenner
Hey Antoine, I‘am realy sorry about to see the issues on your car. These are nearly the same issues then my car had. In dont think there is a way for a quick repair
In your case I would make a patch to the rustholes at the long big enough to stiffen the area and Drive the car until your Karmann is back to road.
I'm pretty sure you'll find more to do at the 914 while your're at work on it.
For a propper repair you have to build a frame like that
Click to view attachment
This is combined with a rotisserie. I dont think there is a need for a celette bench.

You‘ll need to replace the inner long in the enginebay and as far I can see also the outer long. If you have to repair both, this can be done without cutting or removing the quaterpanel. But you have to remove the engine mount and the suspension console.
The panels from Restoration Design (they do a great Job for the 914 community) are a good startingpoint. I have highly modified them to meet my requirements.
If you have to replace the inner long in the passenger bay, Mittelmotor is a good source. They made good panel with the right dimensions for a reasonable price.

Tenner
TRS63
Hi Tenner,

Thanks a lot for your answer!

The frame you made is exactly what I had in mind.. Thanks for confirming it!

About the strategy: that is more or less my plan idea.gif I want the car to drive safely but would love to wait after the ghia to restore it fully.. So that's how I will proceed:
-bring the car in my shop, remove the interior/the engine/gearbox, scrape where it seems rusted to get a good overview of the damages.
-if it can be safely made as you said, means patching the long+seat Belt mount+hell hole, then I will do it after bracing the doors and put it back on the street, driving until I am done with the ghia. Then it will be fully restored
-if damages are too important, like suspension consoles,..Well, the ghia will have a longer break and I will have to go deeper on the 914..

Let's see, I will keep you all in touch!

Cheers

Antoine [b]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.