Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1971 with electrical problemas
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
QROtarga
About 3 years ago I purchased a 1971 914 that was converted to electrical. This works very well, but during the conversion some electrical details went wrong. These are the following:
1) The horn does not work. I installed the missing contact ring on top of the directional switch, but I do not know where this has to be connected to; in the Porsche workshop manual there is a cable going to somewhere but where??? This is complicated by the fact that in my car there are 2 horns, possibly requiring the use of a relay like for a 914-6? Not described in the workshop manual... Without a relay, horns should be connected to 12V and actuating the horn switch on the steering wheel to ground it should make noise. With a relay, things are quite different. Anyway, I guess that "normally" the contact ring is connected to a specific connector or contact?
2) The accessory lights do not work. This is more simple and I can probably find out how to activate them...
3) The ventilation system does not work. Maybe it is just not connected? The manual shows the cables, but not how they look in real life, like a connector.

Any comments and suggestions to deal with these problems would be very welcome!

Cheers, Harald
windforfun
You've purchased a "one-off" & I hope someone here can help you.

Without a schematic of the new electrical system, it might be very difficult to help you.

I recommend you contact the previous owner. Good luck.
914e
QUOTE(QROtarga @ Feb 1 2021, 07:45 PM) *

About 3 years ago I purchased a 1971 914 that was converted to electrical. This works very well, but during the conversion some electrical details went wrong. These are the following:
1) The horn does not work. I installed the missing contact ring on top of the directional switch, but I do not know where this has to be connected to; in the Porsche workshop manual there is a cable going to somewhere but where??? This is complicated by the fact that in my car there are 2 horns, possibly requiring the use of a relay like for a 914-6? Not described in the workshop manual... Without a relay, horns should be connected to 12V and actuating the horn switch on the steering wheel to ground it should make noise. With a relay, things are quite different. Anyway, I guess that "normally" the contact ring is connected to a specific connector or contact?
2) The accessory lights do not work. This is more simple and I can probably find out how to activate them...
3) The ventilation system does not work. Maybe it is just not connected? The manual shows the cables, but not how they look in real life, like a connector.

Any comments and suggestions to deal with these problems would be very welcome!

Cheers, Harald

Do you have power at fuse 9? The blower and the horn are on the same fuse. Is it a US model? if not they would be on fuse 8.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.