Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV Boot Shortcut?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rickso71
Any shortcut to replacing a torn outboard CV boot or do I need to remove the whole drive axle from the hub? The manual mentions using a drift to punch out the shaft but do I also need to "drift" it back in? How do I do that with the whole axle from underneath the car?
Joe Ricard
NOPE.

Just get in there and pull the inside CV from the drive flange. Not really too bad of a job.
Pull the snap ring off the axle pull the CV off and replace the boot. Great time to inspect the CV for wear and throw some new clean grease in it. FLAPS usually sells the grease in single serving packs.

I try to put new CV bolts in each time. Grade 8.8 should not be reused as they torqued to yield.
rickso71
But... I need to replace an OUTBOARD CV boot. If I remove the INBOARD CV, can I get the outboard boot off and slide it off the axle on the inboard side? There's not a lot of room inside the trailing arm so not sure I can access the boot clamps.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.