Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Backdating bumper
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
Is it true ? That the lip across the front does not require removal. Only the rubber front bumper tops require removal of the lop

Root_Werks
Correct, it actually helps support the FG.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Feb 2 2021, 01:03 PM) *

Correct, it actually helps support the FG.

Given your experience, which do you like ? Pros and Cons....
Root_Werks
Rubber hands down for a driver. Offers more protection than people think.
Steve
I had black AIR fiberglass bumpers front and rear on my 75 914 and I did not remove any metal. Just drilled the four holes front and rear. A rubber bumper top will not sit on top of the 75 front clip. I don’t know about the separate fiberglass bumper top. Metal bumpers will not clear the side metal rubber holders.
Root_Werks
Correct, FG you can leave all the metal tabs (even the side ones I believe). You'll want to leave the front metal support for the late bumper alone. It offers a support for both the FG bumper top and trunk seal.

I once really liked FG bumpers. Cheap, easy to paint etc. until one of the 914's I had needed some manual moving via people power. Buddy who wanted to help put hands on the front bumper and gave a shove. You can imaging what happened. FG bumpers are for looks only.
jim_hoyland
Thanks for the info and tips. I was tempted to go FG so I wouldn’t have to cut the front lip and side clips.
I have the shiner front bumper and rubber top!; I’ll stick with those.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.