Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 with a acura motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeepguy06
hey everyone,

looking at doing a different swap then normal. i have heard of people doing the Honda motors in the 914 but i like the Acura Ls 1.8l dohc motors, build them when i was younger and even did a ls/Vtech back in the late 90s. so that is the way i want to go. i have been looking at doing the swap to the Porsche trans but someone told me i should do the Acura motor trans, and keep it as it is in the car and just mod it to go in the Porsche that way.. so it got me thinking what way would be better. i already have the donor car for the Acura and i have the Porsche and will be starting the process in the next couple weeks. i do have some rust to deal with in the lower side skirts and jack points, floor pan. any ideas or thoughts would be great.

items from acura i want to put in...

motor, trans, wiring harness, cluster, brakes, master clyinder and brake booster, 4x100 rims, seats steering wheel..

Thanks justin

Click to view attachment
GregAmy
Not that I support the idea or anything...but I want to ensure you know what you're getting into.

If you're going to transverse-mount a B-series* into the 914 chassis, you're pretty much going to be working solo; I doubt there's many - if any - persons on this forum that have done such a thing. You're going to have to fundamentally redesign the rear frame and chassis of the car, especially given that the B-series turns "the wrong way"...and let's not forget adding a water cooling system.

Certainly not impossible, but it's going to take some good engineering and fabrication skillz.

I'd start by removing the drivetrain and doing some basic measurements to see if it'll even fit. And if not, what you'll need to cut away to make it fit. Don't forget that the driveaxle centerline is below the rear trunk.

Watching with interest. - GA

*I'm a long-time HondAcura guy. I've been racing Hondas for a while. D-Series (Civics), B-Series (GSR and Type R - yo!), now K-series (K24 Super Touring Civic Si with 300 fwhp and a sequential transaxle.)

I also have two 914s, one street, one race. You be cray-cray yo. wink.gif
mgp4591
I understand you wanting to use as much of the Acura as possible. I thought about a B16, B18, or a K series with the trans as well but the width is an issue as well as the engine/trans assy having to be further back in the 914 so that the axles line up. You'd almost have to tube frame the back end to make everything fit as you describe. You're really further ahead if you use an adapter plate to mate the B18 with the Porsche 901 trans. It'd be a great match as the Acura engine doesn't have a lot of torque and probably won't blow up the trans and you'd match your axles perfectly. I'd also recommend that you use the existing brakes and wheels... you'll keep your build costs way down and it's easier to get great results by keeping the existing equipment. You'll likely be replacing the m/c and hoses; all other brake parts should be inspected and replaced as needed but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the performance of that engine with your existing platform. Good luck with your build and... welcome.png
BIGKAT_83
Think if I was going to do another 914 I'd use a Honda V6. I see that Subarugears makes a adapter for a Honda engine to a Subaru transaxle. This would be the ticket.
jeepguy06
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Feb 2 2021, 01:52 PM) *

I understand you wanting to use as much of the Acura as possible. I thought about a B16, B18, or a K series with the trans as well but the width is an issue as well as the engine/trans assy having to be further back in the 914 so that the axles line up. You'd almost have to tube frame the back end to make everything fit as you describe. You're really further ahead if you use an adapter plate to mate the B18 with the Porsche 901 trans. It'd be a great match as the Acura engine doesn't have a lot of torque and probably won't blow up the trans and you'd match your axles perfectly. I'd also recommend that you use the existing brakes and wheels... you'll keep your build costs way down and it's easier to get great results by keeping the existing equipment. You'll likely be replacing the m/c and hoses; all other brake parts should be inspected and replaced as needed but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the performance of that engine with your existing platform. Good luck with your build and... welcome.png

this was my first thought of doing the 901 trans but i also dont want to pay 1200 for a trans, i dont have one with the car as my buddy is taking the motor2.0l and trans that was in the car and putting into another 914 he is building. also it will be another 800 for the adapter plate and starter. if i can find a trans cheap i might go back to the 901 trans, but still want to use the integra brakes as i feel they will stop better then the stock porsche brakes
mepstein
Fix the rust first. Good luck with your project.

welcome.png
GregAmy
Note that if using the 901 transaxle, you'll either need to flip the ring gear or maybe use the 911 (the car) transaxle.

The Honda B-Series turns "backwards": looking at the front (timing belt) end of the engine, it turns counterclockwise. That's why the timing belt side of the engine is on the driver's side of the car, not the passenger side.

The K-series turns clockwise.
jeepguy06
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Feb 2 2021, 02:50 PM) *

Note that if using the 901 transaxle, you'll either need to flip the ring gear or maybe use the 911 (the car) transaxle.

The Honda B-Series turns "backwards": looking at the front (timing belt) end of the engine, it turns counterclockwise. That's why the timing belt side of the engine is on the driver's side of the car, not the passenger side.

If i went with the 901 trans then i would flip the ring gear, i have been looking at going that direction but cant seem to find a trans that's not crazy priced or someone that has a lower cost trans to message me back.
Chris914n6
The problem with a sideways eng/trans is the inner susp mounts are in the way and the shock towers.

There is nothing wrong with stock 914 brakes if all the parts are new/rebuilt. Trying to get the Acura brakes to fit and be balanced will be a huge waste of time. You will have to swap the pedal assm to get power brakes and cut the gas tank to fit the booster.
911 front susp/brake swap is a little spendy but they bolt on.
r_towle
Jeepguy wants to put Acura motor in 914....I’m subscribed!
r_towle
Engine, trans, suspension sub assembly.
Remove shock towers.
Look at a Tesla rear motor/trans and suspension for reference...

abes914
sawzall-smiley.gif popcorn[1].gif
abes914
i love honda

if i have the money and more money, i would like to do a s2000 engine on my 914.

someone here have an s2000 engine in their 914. i forgot who it was. idea.gif
Front yard mechanic
Be a rebel and put a 1.8 Porsche motor in it beer.gif
windforfun
QUOTE(abes914 @ Feb 2 2021, 05:55 PM) *

i love honda

if i have the money and more money, i would like to do a s2000 engine on my 914.

someone here have an s2000 engine in their 914. i forgot who it was. idea.gif

Most of them are blown. It's a "motorcycle" engine with no low end torque. BTDT.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(jeepguy06 @ Feb 2 2021, 03:10 PM) *

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Feb 2 2021, 02:50 PM) *

If i went with the 901 trans then i would flip the ring gear, i have been looking at going that direction but cant seem to find a trans that's not crazy priced or someone that has a lower cost trans to message me back.

I would suggest that you DO NOT do this. The Honda B-Series engines turn the wrong way. Yes, flipping the ring and pinion will result in a car that moves forward. But spinning the input shaft backwards on a 901 will put the thrust forces on surfaces in the 901 that were never designed to be a thrust bearing surface. You will end up with premature transmission wear and a reduced transmission lifetime.

Clay
Mueller
Welcome to the madness.

A few comments if I may.

Years ago I converted a 914 to the Honda 4x100 bolt pattern. The hubs front and rear had been redrilled on a mill.

The problem with the rear is that the 4x100 pattern goes into the large center hole for the rotor with not enough meat surrounding the new holes. Honda/Acura rotors will not easily fit without machining the stock 914 hub OD.

I'm running a Honda J35A 3.5 V6 in my 914 right now, if I was to do it again I'd go with a K20/K24 series.
GregAmy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 3 2021, 12:18 PM) *
I'd go with a K20/K24 series.

Ditto.

But my experience with the various "communities" is that everyone draws a line in the sand. The D-series guys (like my bro-in-law) will argue you to the death that it's a far better engine than the B-series. And so goes the B-series guys against the Ks.

Nobody likes the Fs except the S2k guys that like to make a lot of noise with the top down, kinda like the crotch rocket guys that drive along the highway in 3rd gear.

I do like my torquey all-motor K24. 300 whp and it's not all up top, either...
jeepguy06
QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 3 2021, 11:18 AM) *

Welcome to the madness.

A few comments if I may.

Years ago I converted a 914 to the Honda 4x100 bolt pattern. The hubs front and rear had been redrilled on a mill.

The problem with the rear is that the 4x100 pattern goes into the large center hole for the rotor with not enough meat surrounding the new holes. Honda/Acura rotors will not easily fit without machining the stock 914 hub OD.

I'm running a Honda J35A 3.5 V6 in my 914 right now, if I was to do it again I'd go with a K20/K24 series.

where you able to use the 901 trans with the V6 and knowing that with the rotors and brakes might have to stick to the stock on back and go with some 911 on front.
jeepguy06
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Feb 3 2021, 11:41 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 3 2021, 12:18 PM) *
I'd go with a K20/K24 series.

Ditto.

But my experience with the various "communities" is that everyone draws a line in the sand. The D-series guys (like my bro-in-law) will argue you to the death that it's a far better engine than the B-series. And so goes the B-series guys against the Ks.

Nobody likes the Fs except the S2k guys that like to make a lot of noise with the top down, kinda like the crotch rocket guys that drive along the highway in 3rd gear.

I do like my torquey all-motor K24. 300 whp and it's not all up top, either...

im not set 100% on the b18 just know what it could do so thats why i went with it. i guess i can look and see if i can find a k20 for cheap. does that motor still turn back wards to what the trans likes?
Mueller
I have the stock 914 transmission, I do have a WRX 5 speed gearbox sitting in the corner that I'd like to put in one of these days.

The K20/K24 spin the correct direction to use the stock 914 transmission (as does the J30/J35 motors)

jeepguy06
QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 3 2021, 01:05 PM) *

I have the stock 914 transmission, I do have a WRX 5 speed gearbox sitting in the corner that I'd like to put in one of these days.

The K20/K24 spin the correct direction to use the stock 914 transmission (as does the J30/J35 motors)

i was just reading that the 911 905 915 trans spins the right direction. could i use that trans instead and be ok?

also have read a few that say u can run it back wards fine and some say no.. so confusing out there.
Mueller
QUOTE(jeepguy06 @ Feb 3 2021, 11:23 AM) *

i was just reading that the 911 905 915 trans spins the right direction. could i use that trans instead and be ok?

also have read a few that say u can run it back wards fine and some say no.. so confusing out there.

All 911 engines spin the same as a 914 engine. If you used the old Honda engine the transmission is still turning the opposite direction that it was designed for. Once you price a known good 915 transmission you will change your mind. Not cheap.
GregAmy
No.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(jeepguy06 @ Feb 3 2021, 01:23 PM) *

The 915 transmission is setup to spin the same direction as a 901. And it doesn't have the proper thrust surfaces to spin it backward either.

Clay
jeepguy06
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 3 2021, 02:49 PM) *

The 915 transmission is setup to spin the same direction as a 901. And it doesn't have the proper thrust surfaces to spin it backward either.

Clay

ok so after looking things over i am going to go with a 901 and spin it backwards. now to just find a transmission.
Mueller

ok so after looking things over i am going to go with a 901 and spin it backwards. now to just find a transmission.

Have you priced the adapter, special flywheel and clutch assembly yet?
jeepguy06
QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 3 2021, 04:43 PM) *

Have you priced the adapter, special flywheel and clutch assembly yet?

yes it is 550 for the adapter plate and 250 for the starter. from Kennedy engineering.
TargaToy
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=45&t=97897

This was always one of my favorite threads in the Paddock.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(jeepguy06 @ Feb 3 2021, 03:52 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 3 2021, 02:49 PM) *

Clay

Contact Aaron ( @partsguy22 ) at WWW.ALLZIM.COM. They bought 5 huge crates of 914 transmissions. But I suggest you buy more than one. You are going to be replacing it on a regular basis, and buying more than one will save you money on shipping.

Clay
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.