Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ***Recent Scammer Alert***
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Eric_Shea
Hi Gang,

Be careful of any private replies to your want to buy ads. We’ve seen activity from a newbie who is directing people to an email offsite. Zero posts from this person so, zero credibility. Only purchase through reputable channels and with people who will discuss openly with a new thread.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 2 2021, 11:37 AM) *

Hi Gang,

Be careful of any private replies to your want to buy ads. We’ve seen activity from a newbie who is directing people to an email offsite. Zero posts from this person so, zero credibility. Only purchase through reputable channels and with people who will discuss openly with a new thread.

I just got one yesterday from out of the USA, 0 previous posts, responding to one of my current ads.

Its real, people.
mepstein
Lots of guys on Pelican getting scammed off the WTB ads for the past year or so. Scammer, or their friend at xxx-email, have just what you need, at a good price, with a picture stolen from the internet. Be careful out there.
914werke
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 2 2021, 11:37 AM) *
Hi Gang, Be careful of any private replies to your want to buy ads. <snip> Only purchase through reputable channels and with people who will discuss openly with a new thread.

Thanks Eric for what you do, but one critique.
While the last thing we need is a nanny Im affraifd unless you (& other admins) enforce your own policies POST, folks will continue to PM buyers/sellers to avoid the occasional asshat or well meaning member, who cant help but "contribute" to a classified listing.
Perhaps its time to again address applying limits to 0 posting users?
cpavlenko
Thanks for the info Eric.
Pcarinventory
One thing that might help in the future if if classified threads count toward post count.

I do understand that it takes storage space to retain classified adds beyond 30 days but its kind of a shame because all of the discourse between a seller and folks that post in the thread is lost. That is good information that a buyer can use to ascertain a sellers overall demeanor when considering PMing that seller who is selling something. Probably a PITA to hang on to all that data/storage though so I get it.

If there was a way to clock post counts from ads posted though, that would help the users here get a feel for somebody. I have sold things here periodically and have always had great experiences with folks. After one too many "zero post count, I am suspicious" responses to my ads though, I finally added a post to the general forum just to make the zero go away.

My situation is unusual in that I am selling off stuff from my parents house, I have been out of Porsche ownership for quite a while so I don't really participate in the forums, just getting rid of residual parts. The stuff I have up currently is the last of my parts.

TLDR - I don't have a dog in the race, but it might be useful to the members here if classified ads counted toward post count.

mepstein
Classified ads are saved. They only show 30 days or whatever on the site but if you do a search you can go back years.

And welcome.png
EdwardBlume
Appreciate the heads up!
Eric_Shea
Thanks to PCH for the heads up. Thanks to SirAndy for the complete removal of said slime ball. Scammer was doing exactly what Mark stated in post #3. Zero posters cannot participate in the FS/WTB forum but they can PM other members.
rbzymek
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 3 2021, 11:36 AM) *

Thanks to PCH for the heads up. Thanks to SirAndy for the complete removal of said slime ball. Scammer was doing exactly what Mark stated in post #3. Zero posters cannot participate in the FS/WTB forum but they can PM other members.

Eric,
Was that the banana muffler for $275. Seemed too good...
Thanks,
Ray
SirAndy
QUOTE(Pcarinventory @ Feb 2 2021, 03:29 PM) *
I do understand that it takes storage space to retain classified adds beyond 30 days but its kind of a shame because all of the discourse between a seller and folks that post in the thread is lost. That is good information that a buyer can use to ascertain a sellers overall demeanor when considering PMing that seller who is selling something. Probably a PITA to hang on to all that data/storage though so I get it.

@Pcarinventory

Nothing is deleted. Like ever. The default *display* cuts off at 30 days to manage the sheer amount of Ads per month but there is a dropdown on the bottom that lets you decide how far back you want to go and as has been mentioned above, the search always takes all ads into account.
shades.gif

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.