Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Classic car insurance - who has used Grundy vs Haggerty
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
I have had them since i bought th3e 914, 12 years, i have agreed coverage of the
914 as $55k, and the Maserati as $25k,
my new premium renewal shows increased to $1500 for the year for the 2.,

Grundy just quoted me same coverages with unlimited mileage for both of those for $900 for the year. , apples to apples and i can add my 04 jag for $150 for the year(only $7500 coverage)

anyone else hear make this switch?

how do you like Grundy?
i do only drive the 914 about 2,000 milse a year now, and the Maserati only has added 4000 in 2 years as well, but i want the flexability and dont want to be limited .

anyway would love to hear from the Grundy or Leland west crowd .( or others too)
ps. i cant use a regular like state farm etc beause i have 2 younger drivers i will be exluding from the policy and those companies will not exclude other drivers. wiht Grundy and Hagerty i can just insure myself and my wife, the kids are on other cars, on the truck and the very old bmw with just liability ( old high mileage vehicles)

Phil
horizontally-opposed
This must be the fourth or fifth complaint I've seen recently about Hagerty raising rates. Been meaning to price classic car insurance again, and appreciate the data point above. What are others seeing? There are several choices, and I've also heard good things about Grundy, Chubb, American Collector's Insurance.

And choice is good.
DRPHIL914
another thing to add to this is my wife and i have clean driving records both are 55yoa,
. both of those vehicles well all 3 can and are stored inside.
Minerva's 914
Hmmm, my Hagerty renewal is not until July so I'll be looking ahead in anticipation of an increase. Btw, the Ingram Collection of Porsches that blew-up in Durham due to the gas leak was covered by Hagerty so I'm sure they need money from the rest of us to cover their loses. Bob Ingram noted that Hagerty has not cancelled his policy but didn't say if they had increased his premium.
mepstein
Get a quote from American Modern. I pay ~$225 for both of my 914's and ~$125 for both my classic motorcycles. 4 or 5 thousand mile a year limit that I can increase for $5 per thousand miles. Need to be stored inside and have a daily driver. $1K deductible. Fine to drive to work, shows, nights, etc. They've never checked mileage in 8 years of ownership.
GregAmy
I use American Modern, through Parish-Heacock. Two race cars ("storage, transportation, and paddock" only, $10k and $20k declared), race car trailer ($10k), and the street 914 ($25k) for about $450/yr. Requires locked garage storage.
brcacti
I use American collectors $196 yr for agreed coverage but I think $1000 deductible. Will check out American modern. Is it common to have the high deductible with this group?
Al Meredith
I have been using American Modern for about 10 years . 74 914, 76 912E, 99 Boxster . I think I have 3000 miles a year and occasional personal use and agreed value. They will even take a Kit Car. My total this year is $400. Call Classic Automobile Insurance Agency, INC. 800-397-0765. AL PS I have thankfully never had a claim
VaccaRabite
I used American Modern and at this point would not touch them with a 10 foot pole.
I am using Grundy now. I met the owner at Amelia Island a few years back and we talked cars for about 30 minutes before I knew who he was. I thought he was just a guy at a booth. Afterwards when I asked for his name in case there were any bonuses they gave for getting people to sign up, he laughed and said something to the effect of: "oh don't worry about that, My last names Grundy. I'm well taken care of."

When I was pricing it out, Grundy was considerably cheaper then Hagerty. I also need to up the value on my 914 this year.

Zach
Cairo94507
Had Haggerty for the first year when my car was actually being assembled as no one else wanted to insure a unfinished project. Haggerty was $700 approx. for $60K value at the time. Then I increased it to $120K coverage when it was a rolling/running project and that increase cost me approx. $1,100 a year. When it came up for renewal, I talked with Haggerty, explained the car was finished and in my locked garage and sent them video and pictures. They wanted to raise my rate a little bit, less than $100 year now that it was home and secure. What? Mind you, I do not live in the big city or urban/problematic areas of the state.

I called Grundy and got $125K coverage with no limitations or deductible for approx. $750 per year. So a tiny bit more coverage for a good amount less than Haggerty. Done deal. beerchug.gif

Oh Yeah, I tried to talk with Haggerty about their rates and they were actually a little rude about it. I "voted" with my wallet.
gandalf_025
I went with Hagerty a number of years ago.
They started off fine but then started raising the price.
There was a Hagerty Salesman at a local Car Show a few years ago and
he had a big sign saying a 350 Slelby Mustang insured for 350.00 a year.
I walked over and asked about that price and he was in full sales mode.
Finally I told him I was paying a whole lot more to Hagerty for a car worth less.
He finally said that the sign was a few years old and not todays rates..

I called Grundy and have never made a claim, so at this point no issues..
Andyrew
Hagerty with 25k declared on the 914 and 15k declared on the 944 turbo is about 500, but im a bit younger than some of you..

They raised it from 275 about 2 years ago, I just dealt with it....
Olympic 914
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Feb 4 2021, 09:27 AM) *

I used American Modern and at this point would not touch them with a 10 foot pole.

Zach

Presently have American Modern on the teener and two vintage Harleys, No claims yet, so of course, no problems.

I would like to hear what your issue is/was, with American Modern, so I know what to look out for.

yellowporky
I went with Leland West and have an agreed value of $46k and pay $330 a year.
Only experience so far is the process was easy and rate seemed good.
Fingers crossed. I also read something about the difference between stated and agreed value. Seemed like an important distinction.
GregAmy
My teammate had American Modern on his race car (storage, transportation, and paddock - "STP"). Parked it overnight in his driveway on his open trailer for our early departure the next morning for the track (remember, they require it be stored in a locked garage).

Of course a large tree fell on it overnight, smashing in the roof, A-pillars, and the windshield.

He had zero issues getting a payout. Said it was a painless process.
rmarx
I am a broker for both Hagerty and Grundy. Hagerty is the leader in the industry and easiest to deal with, they are however rather expensive. I find that Grundy to by about 40 % cheaper in most cases.
TheCabinetmaker
I have Grundy. 160 a year. $25,000 stated value. Includes windshield, towing, and unlimited miles.
Krieger
QUOTE(rmarx @ Feb 4 2021, 09:47 AM) *

I am a broker for both Hagerty and Grundy. Hagerty is the leader in the industry and easiest to deal with, they are however rather expensive. I find that Grundy to by about 40 % cheaper in most cases.

@rmarx Do you any idea on how well Grundy handles claims compared to Hagerty?
Tdskip
I’m still a huge hagerty fan based on how well they took care of me when I needed them.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Feb 4 2021, 04:54 PM) *

I’m still a huge hagerty fan based on how well they took care of me when I needed them.

agree.gif
I’ve had Hagerty for over 30 years with two claims in that time. In both cases they went to great lengths to make sure I was satisfied.
930cabman
JC Taylor, $1,100. for a 1987 turbo cab, 1985 Alfa spider, 1975 911S, 1970 Dodge Power wagon and 1964 356 SC coupe.

Have provided great service for close to 20 years, but I have never had a claim
ahycaramba
I was just doing my research this past weekend. Leaning towards Grundy.Click to view attachment I also checked BBB ratings. Most all are A+ and some are without ratings.
Amphicar770
I can't speak for other companies but I had a claim years ago on one of my vehicles with Hagerty. They went above and beyond to make sure everything was repaired to the highest standard even though it involved multiple shops and multiple parts suppliers for NOS stuff. I am willing to pay a bit more knowing they will be there if needed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.