Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake Flare Fitting - Part Number Request
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
9146C
I've run into an issue with my brake re-assembly:

When I first bought my car (almost 20 years ago), I installed a set of stainless steel brake hoses at the same time I installed new calipers.

At the time, I do recall that these SS hoses were not DOT approved. Never had an issue in the time I drove them.

For my re-assembly, I've ordered new (DOT approved) SS brake hoses. When I went to install the new hoses, I found that the flare fittings that I have (that have been on the car the last 20 years) fit very loose onto the threads of the replacement hoses.

I initially assumed that the replacement SS hoses may have been manufactured with SAE fittings.

The Parts House informed me that the brake system was changed mid-year 1972...mine rolled down the assembly line in March of that year.

I knew that the front calipers and strut offset were changed late 1972, but, didn't know (and haven't read anything) that the brake lines/fittings were also changed that year.

I went and ordered a set of early (1970/71) FTE Brand rubber hoses. Those just arrived and I'm finding the same loose fit as I found with the replacement SS hoses.

Now that I've tested with two sets of replacement hoses (which are identical fits, btw), I'm starting to think that I must have changed the flare fitting to a metric/SAE adapter when I initially installed my original SS hoses. I don't recall that I did.

I've tried to locate a part number from the Porsche Diagrams...this flare fitting appears to be missing/unlisted from the parts diagram.

Question 1: Does anyone have a part number for the correct flare fitting? (Or a description of the male flare end...I realize the female end is a 10mmx1.0.)

Question 2: Can anyone confirm that the flare fitting was changed mid-year...are there 2 different part numbers for this flare fitting?

Unfortunately, I cannot attach an mp4 file to demonstrate what I'm trying to describe...the first photo is one of the eight flare fittings I have currently...the second photo illustrates what the fit looks like as the flare fitting is snugged up to the replacement FTE (early) rubber hose.

I'm thinking I must have the wrong fitting currently...looking for a part number to order the correct flare fittings that I need.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
cary
We buy them from PMB for our projects. Both early and late.
Have never used an SAE adapter. Fit tight. Pressure tested overnight at 15#s.
Superhawk996
Porsche 914 uses ISO bubble flare.

Looks to me like your trying to use an SAE or AN adapter with an ISO hose.

Here is a primer on SAE vs. AN vs. ISO flares

http://www.fedhillusa.com/?page=flare
9146C
Thanks for the feedback!

Just to reiterate...I'm looking for either a correct part number or a descriptor of the male part of the adapter.

I realize the female is a bubble flare (concave) fitting - 10mmx1.0...based on what I've been able to find on the internet, I'm wondering if the difference for the male end is a 3AN (what I have) vs a 4AN fitting (what I may need)?

I would assume that both ends would be metric...maybe they're not...
Superhawk996
QUOTE(9146C @ Feb 4 2021, 04:48 PM) *

Thanks for the feedback!

Just to reiterate...I'm looking for either a correct part number or a descriptor of the male part of the adapter.

I realize the female is a bubble flare (concave) fitting - 10mmx1.0...based on what I've been able to find on the internet, I'm wondering if the difference for the male end is a 3AN (what I have) vs a 4AN fitting (what I may need)?

You've got some sort of rube goldberg thing going on. Not sure why you are referencing AN fittings. From what I think I see you have a SAE fitting with a 45 degree flare. Probably from old hoses having been SAE as you state.

There are no "adapters" involved in the OEM setup. It is true that brake flex lines changed between early and late. The real question is what are you working with from the caliper to the flex hose and/or from hard line on body side. Ditch the adapters. Adapters are never a good thing in a brake system just more potential leak paths.

Here's the PET diagram.

Click to view attachment

If your mating to some sort of AN fittings somewhere in your system, I have to aplologize for wasting your time, I can't help there.
9146C
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 4 2021, 04:03 PM) *

QUOTE(9146C @ Feb 4 2021, 04:48 PM) *

Thanks for the feedback!

You've got some sort of rube goldberg thing going on. Probably from old hoses having been SAE as you state.

There are no "adapters" involved in the OEM setup.

Here's the PET diagram.

Click to view attachment

Thank you!!!

I'll go back and take another look tomorrow...agree with the Rube Goldberg with the old SS lines...something just didn't look right.

Appreciate your help!
davep
Brake lines on all Porsche that I know of are all 10mm 1.0 pitch; certainly every 914 and 911 into the 1980's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.