Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clouseau Who Goo Gone
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
forrestkhaag
Does anyone out there have a good experience or method to remove silicone or RTV adhesive from a well seasoned two stage paint system.

In years past, I glued a metal 914 emblem on the rear panel of my ride and now I am in need of eliminating the residual adhesive after removing the emblem - without damaging the paint. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

beerchug.gif

Clouseau: I thought you said your dog did not bite!

Hotel Clerk: That is not my dog.
preach
Goo gone, WD40, plastic razor blade?
Shivers
isopropyl alcohol is probably the safest for paint, that will still soften silicone.
Cairo94507
I have used Goo be Gone on multiple cars with no side effects. I apply it wet and let it sit to soften and rub gently. I reapply wet, let it soften and rub gently, I keep doing that until it is all gone. Then maybe a nice color sand and polish. Should be good as can be.

Red colors are the toughest because they are so soft and easily discolor/fade. That's why I would do the color sand on that panel before polish. beerchug.gif
windforfun
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 5 2021, 03:58 PM) *

I have used Goo be Gone on multiple cars with no side effects. I apply it wet and let it sit to soften and rub gently. I reapply wet, let it soften and rub gently, I keep doing that until it is all gone. Then maybe a nice color sand and polish. Should be good as can be.

Red colors are the toughest because they are so soft and easily discolor/fade. That's why I would do the color sand on that panel before polish. beerchug.gif

Copy that. You might want to warm it up a bit with a hair dryer first & then pull off what you can with a cosmetic tweezers. IPA will work, but it'll take many more applications. BTDT.
infraredcalvin
Heat and goo gone, citrus, microfiber, turned frequently with fresh goo gone...
dhuckabay
Xylene or Xylol, the same, is what is used as tar emover on paint. It is paint safe, no clue if it goes after silicon. Have the feel that the razor option is going to be the choice.
Chris914n6
plastic scraper, like a credit card
mb911
Gas to soften and that should scrape off. Residual you can use peanut butter.
forrestkhaag
Back to Black

Thanks to all for the info. A gentle application of goo and it was soon gone.

beerchug.gif
AZBanks
No affiliation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAa_mf-Gpbs
raynekat
3M adhesive remover
mate914
I like gas and peanut butter.........just not together....
Does it really work?
Matt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.