Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Passenger side mirror
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SKL1
Been putting this off for a while (40 or 50 years depending on the car) as I don't want to drill holes in a perfectly good door but finally want to put passenger side rear view mirrors in both cars to make backing up easier.
I've heard you can rotate a driver's side mirror but not sure that really works.

What have people done and what's best source for a OEM mirror?? I'm not a fan of aftermarket mirrors. TIA

Jamie
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Feb 6 2021, 12:50 PM) *

Been putting this off for a while (40 or 50 years depending on the car) as I don't want to drill holes in a perfectly good door but finally want to put passenger side rear view mirrors in both cars to make backing up easier.
I've heard you can rotate a driver's side mirror but not sure that really works.

What have people done and what's best source for a OEM mirror?? I'm not a fan of aftermarket mirrors. TIA

Rotating an original mirror is the easy part, finding the places to drill the 2 holes is the harder part. I had to disassemble the inner door cards, and punch through the original interior nuts to make a ding on the exterior as a guide for drilling. Make sure the mirror comes with the 2 screws for mounting, and be aware there are 2 styles of mirrors to match.
KELTY360
I added a passenger side mirror when My car was getting painted and some collision damage fixed. In retrospect, it was unnecessary. I'm trained to use my mirrors for backing and I don't feel that the passenger mirror adds any more detail than the stock windshield mounted mirror. I don't regret the addition because it balances our the appearance.
DucRS
I too have been hesitant about putting the passenger mirror on. I have purchased a couple of them from th classifieds and I’m still undecided. My concern is, am I taking away from its “originality”. Does this affect value on a car that’s bone stock original (73 2.0, 1 owner)? Thoughts?
BillC
If you go here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2870179 , you can see how I drilled the holes for the passenger side mirror.

And, the driver's side mirror rotates around perfectly to fit the passenger side. Only "drawback" is you'll have flat glass on the passenger side instead of a normal convex mirror.
Jamie
QUOTE(DucRS @ Feb 6 2021, 03:37 PM) *

I too have been hesitant about putting the passenger mirror on. I have purchased a couple of them from th classifieds and I’m still undecided. My concern is, am I taking away from its “originality”. Does this affect value on a car that’s bone stock original (73 2.0, 1 owner)? Thoughts?

My 73 is nearly all stock, but I maintain it as a driver, not a concours queen. The passenger side mirror allows viewing of a blind spot on that side, I consider it a necessity rather than a detriment to originality.
Shivers
I figured that the door wouldn't have the screw bosses for the mirror if the door wasn't intended to have a mirror on it.
windforfun
Keep it stock. Turn your head a little more.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Shivers @ Feb 6 2021, 05:29 PM) *

I figured that the door wouldn't have the screw bosses for the mirror if the door wasn't intended to have a mirror on it.

Or, the engineers didn’t think it was necessary but the marketing people saw an easy opportunity to sell an unneeded option. Rear window defroster also falls in that category.
windforfun
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 6 2021, 05:39 PM) *

Or, the engineers didn’t think it was necessary but the marketing people saw an easy opportunity to sell an unneeded option. Rear window defroster also falls in that category.

Ditto. I went all through my doors. "73 1.7 & nothing there for a passenger SVM.
bkrantz
I opened up the holes in my right door when prepping for new paint. And the inner nuts were there. (Actually I started the holes from the inside out.)

If anyone has an extra mirror (late style, more rounded curve on post), let me know.
raynekat
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Feb 6 2021, 05:58 PM) *

If anyone has an extra mirror (late style, more rounded curve on post), let me know.

Sent you a PM on a mirror Bob.
Cairo94507
I can't imagine not having a passenger side mirror on a car. Of course, nowadays, with warning alarms on cars when someone is in your lane, people (kids) won't bother to look in mirrors when driving. beerchug.gif
GregAmy
I removed my passenger mirror, not useful at all to me. I can see everything out of the corner of my eye or with a glance over my shoulder.

Any ideas on attractively plugging the holes? Might try some anodized black cap head screws.
Shivers
QUOTE(windforfun @ Feb 6 2021, 05:44 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 6 2021, 05:39 PM) *

Ditto. I went all through my doors. "73 1.7 & nothing there for a passenger SVM.

Where the aluminum window support comes into the door from the top, the rear of the two holes is located a 1/2" from the sheet metal out, and in the center (+ or -) of the aluminum support. Second is 1 1/8" forward, also a 1/2" off of the edge of the sheet metal. Never seen one without it, but I have not looked at every door. Factory could have missed a few.
windforfun
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Feb 7 2021, 07:51 AM) *

I removed my passenger mirror, not useful at all to me. I can see everything out of the corner of my eye or with a glance over my shoulder.

Any ideas on attractively plugging the holes? Might try some anodized black cap head screws.

Plastic Caplugs. You used to be able to get a few free samples from them. Maybe you still can. You can paint them too. Black button head screws would be good too.
dcecc1968
I installed a passenger side mirror this past summer. I use that mirror a lot.. for blind spot (yes there is one on the passenger side) detection when changing lanes and to back into a tightly fitting garage. Would convex be better, yes, but flat works fine.

I don’t have good paint and might have been more hesitant had I a $4000 paint job, but I did it by taking off the drivers side mirror and measuring the drivers side holes, measuring again and then 3 more times using calipers. I took the door card off, but after discovering I couldn’t drill for the inside without taking out the glass , etc., I taped the outside, used an awl to tap a divot for the drill and drilled it from the outside first using a small drill bit to make sure I was close to center on the welded nut, then increased the bit size. Was I off a little, yes, was it that big of a deal, no as I was able to work the bit a little to correct. I hit the hole edges with some rattle can paint to prevent rust, and voila!
Front yard mechanic
Measure exactly from the drivers door then pre punch and drill a small 1/8 hole the nuts are welded to the inside have faith they are there . Then when your sure you can drill the hole larger to allow the mirror screws to line up I also hesitated but this was so easy peasy alfred.gif
Midway
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...74&st=9380#
My effort to mount a mirror on the RHS
Arno914
Before putting the right hand side mirror on I would check if the position suits your viewing needs. Since it is in the same space as the drivers side mirror, you might end up looking against the window frame hiding your newly attached mirror.
Jamie
QUOTE(Arno914 @ Feb 8 2021, 06:09 AM) *

Before putting the right hand side mirror on I would check if the position suits your viewing needs. Since it is in the same space as the drivers side mirror, you might end up looking against the window frame hiding your newly attached mirror.

The stock door mount placement with the "rare"stock passenger side mirror works just fine. driving.gif
mark04usa
agree.gif After I bought my car at the Porsche dealer I worked at in 1976, I noticed that the 914 parts manual indicated L/R fitment for the outside mirror, which meant it could be used for left or right side. (The factory parts book also listed the convex right side mirror.) I measured and drilled and found the captive nuts in place and mounted a mirror right up.

Add a 1" convex round mirror to the right side one and you will have an excellent view.
Click to view attachment
Shivers
"No debate at all in fact! They were required equipment to have mirrors on both sides on cars in Sweden back when new `69-76, & a few other countries too (& RHD ones, as Kansas said), plus a factory or dealer supplied option on any 914 when new.

In fact have a brand new Porsche part pass. side mirror - which is slightly convex for pass. side (I bought 2 new L & R a couple of years ago), & AFAIK they're still available from Porsche new .... at a Porsche price of course."

I found this here in another discussion. Some strong points in favor of a factory hand in two mirrors.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.