Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is the right coil for our 75 2.0?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jett
We are looking for the right coil for our stock 75 2.0 that was recently restored. We have a Bosch unit that is blue smile.gif. Do Bosch still make a correct “looking” black unit?
914Sixer
NOS, click to open. NOT German but as close as you will find.
914Sixer
Option #2 in Cyprus but German
Jett
Thanks! Let you know what happens smile.gif
Jett
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 7 2021, 03:42 PM) *

NOS, click to open. NOT German but as close as you will find.

I ended up buying this one, the other is awaiting response.

Thanks for the pointer!
Jett
looks good, will install tomorrow
914Sixer
Make sure you swap the bracket for the OEM look. Stock bracket is a little different.
Jett
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 13 2021, 05:22 AM) *

Make sure you swap the bracket for the OEM look. Stock bracket is a little different.

Roger that
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Jett @ Feb 13 2021, 09:59 AM) *

Roger that

I'll caution you that there is a version of the OEM coil bracket that IMHO leads to or at least significantly contributes to tin cracking.

Rather than being a Omega shape with perfectly flat feet on both sides of the coil, one side has a downward turned 90 degree bend. This bend is a sort of "snubber" that is SUPPOSED to prevent the braket from being over tightened. But instead, it encourages overtightening, and concentrates the stress on one side of the coil in a very small footprint. That leads to tin cracking.

I don't have a picture of this style bracket at right at my fingertips. Can dig one out if you're not sure what I'm referring to.

Unless you're going for Concours, I'd personally stay away from that style OEM bracket.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 13 2021, 09:13 AM) *

Roger that

I'll caution you that there is a version of the OEM coil bracket that IMHO leads to or at least significantly contributes to tin cracking.

Rather than being a Omega shape with perfectly flat feet on both sides of the coil, one side has a downward turned 90 degree bend. This bend is a sort of "snubber" that is SUPPOSED to prevent the braket from being over tightened. But instead, it encourages overtightening, and concentrates the stress on one side of the coil in a very small footprint. That leads to tin cracking.

I don't have a picture of this style bracket at right at my fingertips. Can dig one out if you're not sure what I'm referring to.

Unless you're going for Concours, I'd personally stay away from that style OEM bracket.

I think that mounting the coil on the tin results in cracking the tin regardless of the bracket used. I have about 20 cracked tins that support that. An over hung weight on a shaking engine is not a goid setup.
The better location in on the fan shroud where the Buses mounted them. The mountong hole is blind and sometines has a plastic pkug. The original coil strap can be used if the end is rebent. It may require a longer coil to distributor ( the big one ) wire.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Feb 13 2021, 10:25 AM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 13 2021, 09:13 AM) *

Roger that

I think that mounting the coil on the tin results in cracking the tin regardless of the bracket used. I have about 20 cracked tins that support that. An over hung weight on a shaking engine is not a goid setup.
The better location in on the fan shroud where the Buses mounted them. The mountong hole is blind and sometines has a plastic pkug. The original coil strap can be used if the end is rebent. It may require a longer coil to distributor ( the big one ) wire.

Don't disagree that the bus setup looks appealing. I'm investigating for myself but Bus brackets seem to be in short supply for some reason. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

However, I also had an original 1.7L with the coil that was was uncracked after 100K miles with the type of flat footed omega bracket that I describe.

Correlation doesn't mean causation. Without knowing what bracket was associated with your cracked tins (Trust me, I've seen them too smile.gif ), and how they were torqued up, it really isn't fair to just make a blanket statement that a coil mounted to the tin causes the cracks.

Don't get me wrong, I wish VW had put a doubler under the tin in that area rather than the simple weld nuts, it would have gone a long way toward preventing tin cracking.

The flip side is that most of these 914's are well beyond their intended design service life so tin cracking isn't some sort of inherent defect that occurs in just a few miles regardless of what coil bracket was used.

Just food for thought.
bbrock
I cheated on the black coil. I installed a Pertronix so also got one of their flamethrower coils

IPB Image

Rolled it 180 degrees and slapped an ebay stickler on it to create a fake. Not concours but creates the right vibe for me smile.gif

IPB Image

Oh, and there's the problem bracket @Superhawk996 mentioned. My tin was cracked like they all are and I reinforced the area when I welded up for repair. I also plan to add some rubber pads to spread the stress of the bracket out. Bottom line is that if the cracks after 10 years or more of use, I don't care. It is not a difficult repair.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.