Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mystery Engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lapuwali
So, I just bought a nice running engine from nine14cats, who'd bought the whole car with engine from Craig Laughlin, who'd gotten at least the engine from someone else. We'd been told it was a 2.2, and it has carbs (Weber IDFs, not Dells, as previously thought), but that's pretty much the extent known. Has three-bolt heads on it, but no engine number I can find.

I measured the stroke down the plug hole with a welding rod (works better than a chopstick...), and it comes up 76mm. With a 96mm bore, that would be exactly 2200cc, so it looks like it really is a 2.2.

Before installing the engine, since I'm going to do one easy valve adjustment, anyway, I'd figure I'd trying to measure the cam by just measuring the height of the rockers when open and closed. What's the lift on the stock cam? I don't have a degree wheel, so I doubt I could do better than +/- 5 degrees trying to measure duration.
rhodyguy
james, contact craig. he may have firm data on the specs for that engine.

k
boxstr
James, Kevin has a friend in Costa Mesa that he will put you in touch with.
CCLINSS
Joe Ricard
I say use the Butt dyno. If the motor pulls like a frieght train above 3500 RPMs I would say you got a good one.
Enjoy!
nine14cats
Hi James,

Glad to hear it really is a 2.2!....Something different than the normal 2.0....

I'm betting that the cam is pretty mild. The car seems to have a decent torque band through the range and idles fine. Hmmm... idea.gif

I like the welder rod bit....safer... laugh.gif

Webers instead of Dells? Damn....

Can't wait to see/hear the motor in your car...

Bill P.
lapuwali
It's mostly a curiousity problem right now. The engine ran great in JLO, and I have every expectation it will in my car, too. Just wondering what's in there, and I don't really want to tear it down to find out. The last few cars I've gotten have required some detective work, and I rather enjoy it, really.

I figure, at worst, it makes about 110hp (50hp/liter, which is what the stock 1.7 and 2.0 make), which is a lot better than the maybe 75hp my cranky 1.7 makes.

Anyone know of a site with cam specs?

rhodyguy
it won't be turning those big ass wheels and tires that were on jlo either. my guess it's gonna run for you pretty good.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.