Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just installed 914 Rubber-Sheridan Spoiler (maybe too low)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
jmz
what say you? Will I be able to race this and not knock it off and trip over the new front spoiler?Click to view attachment

BillJ
couple things that would be helpful here is exactly how much clearance each side and center then what suspension are you running. Would mainly be concerned about body roll and dive under braking conditions (full brake). How stiff is the car? Only then can someone (not me) do the math to determine if it is too low.
jmz
QUOTE(BillJ @ Feb 8 2021, 10:18 AM) *

couple things that would be helpful here is exactly how much clearance each side and center then what suspension are you running. Would mainly be concerned about body roll and dive under braking conditions (full brake). How stiff is the car? Only then can someone (not me) do the math to determine if it is too low.

I hear you. ...I did not lower the car just replaced standard GT valence with 914 Rubber "sheridan" front spoiler.

This is how the car ran for many years prior to my ownership. I was thinking of taking it back to the configuration it ran as well as bringing it back to Irish Green.

I'm afraid with the 15's I run on the car may be too lower the car a bit too much. I still have the 16s... so we'll see.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
slivel
Yes, you are likely to damage the front spoiler if you use the curbs. On some tracks the curbs are several inches tall. Also you will have to use ramps when loading and unloading from a trailer.
Another consideration is that you will be changing the balance of the car especially if the spoiler was added without a corresponding change in the rear of the car. I added a splitter to the front of my car and was surprised at the handling change. You may be correcting an imbalance or you may be aggravating a problem.
I had a nice splitter on my car but it ripped off in a race at Buttonwillow when I got a little too aggressive with the curbs. Never put it back on.
Click to view attachment
wndsrfr
Here's mine with 15's--a bit higher than yours....ran it for years until going agricultural spin out at Roebling last December & ripped it off...putting another one on as we speak....Click to view attachment
jmz
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Feb 8 2021, 04:16 PM) *

Here's mine with 15's--a bit higher than yours....ran it for years until going agricultural spin out at Roebling last December & ripped it off...putting another one on as we speak....Click to view attachment

John, can you share the details of your tow hook? I need to re-engineer that now.
PlaysWithCars
OP ( @jmz ) - sidebar question: looks like you have an 15x8" wheel on front? What size Hoosier is on there? 245 maybe? Looks tight to the fender lip. I'm about to try a set of 245 A7s on 8" wheels on the front of mine and hoping you'll say "no problem. Mine fit fine."
jmz
QUOTE(PlaysWithCars @ Feb 22 2021, 01:43 AM) *

OP ( @jmz ) - sidebar question: looks like you have an 15x8" wheel on front? What size Hoosier is on there? 245 maybe? Looks tight to the fender lip. I'm about to try a set of 245 A7s on 8" wheels on the front of mine and hoping you'll say "no problem. Mine fit fine."

My car has wider than normal GT flares.
jmz
@PlaysWithCars

I will say this. Although my car has what I think some call the nurburgring flares that are a bit wider than normal GT flares, I run a 1" spacer up front behind those 15x8s. ...so even though they look tightly tucked into my fenders there is a bit of room.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(jmz @ Feb 9 2021, 03:40 PM) *

John, can you share the details of your tow hook? I need to re-engineer that now.

Pretty crude but works...Click to view attachment
wndsrfr
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Feb 23 2021, 11:10 AM) *

QUOTE(jmz @ Feb 9 2021, 03:40 PM) *

Pretty crude but works...Click to view attachment

Nother view...Click to view attachment
wndsrfr
I'm at 4 inches....cleared serious corner rumble strip at Sebring...Click to view attachment
jmz
Yep, it was low. Not sure if the video will upload. If not I'll link the whole youtube video.

Had to go off in the grass to avoid contact and the air dam was sacrificed.

PlaysWithCars
Damn. That’s no good. How effective are rubber lipped dams at stopping high speed air? The one I’m running is 3-4” from the ground but it has a rubber lip that flexes so it wouldn’t be as susceptible to damage from an or. I think I bought it from 914rubber.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(jmz @ Mar 2 2021, 02:37 PM) *

Yep, it was low. Not sure if the video will upload. If not I'll link the whole youtube video.

It's a consumable... put on another & choose your agricultural driving spots carefully....
jmz
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Mar 3 2021, 09:59 AM) *

QUOTE(jmz @ Mar 2 2021, 02:37 PM) *

It's a consumable... put on another & choose your agricultural driving spots carefully....

Exactly. Already ordered another and a friend had one to give me as a spare. ...all set. Just need to watch out for those pesky mustangs.
914andy
JMZ. Did that car come out of Colorado? It looks very much like the car I used to compete against 25 years ago. Ran against him in SCCA and PCA. Husband and wife team and she was damn near as fast as he was.
Back then 2.8 was the legal limit and no twin plugs were allowed.
You might have a dickens of a time trying to run 245's on the front.
Great car by the way
Andy York
AZBanks
QUOTE(jmz @ Mar 2 2021, 03:37 PM) *

Click to view attachment
jmz
QUOTE(914andy @ Mar 3 2021, 04:11 PM) *

JMZ. Did that car come out of Colorado? It looks very much like the car I used to compete against 25 years ago. Ran against him in SCCA and PCA. Husband and wife team and she was damn near as fast as he was.
Great car by the way
Andy York

Andy, it is the very same car.
Trekkor
no one runs a lower air dam/splitter than me!

tore it off going backwards through 5 at Laguna later that day...

Click to view attachment
campbellcj
I found with that deep Sheridan spoiler that (a) it's too low for places like SOW with nasty curbs and ruts (b) it blocks nearly all airflow to the brakes, so I have to hookup the ducts to use it. More commonly I've used a different one that is not quite as low.
flat4guy
QUOTE(jmz @ Feb 8 2021, 08:40 AM) *

what say you? Will I be able to race this and not knock it off and trip over the new front spoiler?Click to view attachment

I like the dpoiler, who makes it?
brant
QUOTE(jmz @ Mar 4 2021, 12:08 AM) *

QUOTE(914andy @ Mar 3 2021, 04:11 PM) *

Great car by the way
Andy York

Andy, it is the very same car.

I used to drool over that car back in the day
Dave and Ellen Ferguson
Dave gave me my first ever race rubber in a set of used tires
A big improvement to the p6 tires I was running at the time
They introduced me to drivers ed. around 1988
sixaddict
Sheradin (as in Roger) used to……I thought he retired but seems some one may still be making them.
Need to keep a spare as easy to destroy.
Would like a source as well.

name='flat4guy' date='Apr 14 2023, 08:39 PM' post='3071603']
[quote name='jmz' post='2889408' date='Feb 8 2021, 08:40 AM']
[/quote]
[/quote]
jmz
[quote name='sixaddict' date='Apr 15 2023, 10:03 PM' post='3071749']
Sheradin (as in Roger) used to……I thought he retired but seems some one may still be making them.
Need to keep a spare as easy to destroy.
Would like a source as well.

name='flat4guy' date='Apr 14 2023, 08:39 PM' post='3071603']
[quote name='jmz' post='2889408' date='Feb 8 2021, 08:40 AM']
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

914Rubber bought Roger's molds. I've purchased two Sheridan pieces from him. (one spare as you mentioend)
sixaddict
Didn’t know that.. thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.