Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dry Ice Blasting a 914/6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JmuRiz
I don't think I've seen this listed on here yet, but ran across this video of a 914/6 getting dry ice blasted/cleaned.

Sure beats a toothbrush and APC cleaning the underside. I've been procrastinating that part till I get my 4-post bridge jacks installed.

Other than this, what's the best way to get results like this in a home garage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYtQQBYdMQo
mepstein
It's hard to duplicate. If you use a steam pressure washer on the underside, you are blasting the crud into the cracks and seams and then leaving it mixed with water. Good for a really sloppy car but probably not what you want. The dry ice seems to have better control and I imaging it's freezing the gunk and dropping to the ground and then the CO2 disappears.

If it works well, It will become more popular and easier to get done.
Cairo94507
That works great but it is expensive, no? if you had an original car that was in great shape and you did not want to "restore" it, that is the way to go to get all the 50 years of crud off. beerchug.gif
barnfind9141972
I messaged the people who did this on Instagram and although amazing the cost of this was $2800, hopefully it’ll get more popular and pricing becomes more aggressive
dhuckabay
Well worth it, no residue and no metal damage. We use it on very thin plane skins.
Racer
My dad mentioned that the REVS institute in FL uses the process.. They have priceless cars.. they keep them meticulous... this is one of the tools they use.
Coondog
I watched the Army do this on a Apache Helicopter. No need for oil water separators. Plus they just vacuum up any residue.
Coondog
Click to view attachment
maj75
I watched this being done to the Porsche 907 that won Sebring in ‘68. It isn’t “cheap”. But if you had to pay someone to clean your car as absolutely as dry-ice blasting, you would pay more.

I did it to my 914 project before I started on it. I wanted to see what I was working with and I hate working on oily, greasy stuff.
Dr Evil
I had been wanting to do this for a long time. You can actually blast words off of a page without damaging the page. The cost is in the dry ice, and getting it. You can get machines to make the pellets, way expensive. Some day, I still want to do this.
SKL1
I did this a couple weeks ago to my '71 I've had since new. Pix are on another thread here.
Took off most of the undercoating leaving slightly dull 50 year old silver paint on the undercarriage. Did not damage the paint. Considering I paid for a 1/2 day (I believe it was 500lb of dry ice) it saved me a ton of time removing all that by hand.
raynekat
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Feb 9 2021, 08:08 PM) *

I did this a couple weeks ago to my '71 I've had since new. Pix are on another thread here.
Took off most of the undercoating leaving slightly dull 50 year old silver paint on the undercarriage. Did not damage the paint. Considering I paid for a 1/2 day (I believe it was 500lb of dry ice) it saved me a ton of time removing all that by hand.

The "correct" process should not take off any of the undercoating....it should have been left intact.
Wondering if you used one of the more aggressive dry ice cleaning companies by mistake?
They are not all the same.
SKL1
I wanted the old undercoating removed as a lot of it was already loose. I wanted to go down to the original paint. When I restored my '73 the undercarriage was painted along with the body for a really clean look as the car is only driven in nice weather. Same plan for the '71 when the body is redone in the next couple years.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.