Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sebring vs. Bursch exhaust..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Boldylocks
anybody have anything good or bad to say about either of these exhausts.
One is basically 50 bucks less expensive, but that 50 could be used on other things...

- CURRENTLY car will not IDLE right now... and I have a fist sized hole in muffler...
I'm thinking of replacing the head sensor and the pressure sensor to address the idle issue... am I on the right track (points are fine, fuel pump was tested fine, brain is fine...

If engine is HOT you cant even get it to rev.. if engine is cold you can get it to rev, but once car falls under around 1000 rpm.. it starts to sound like its gurgling... and you just may get a few POPS/backfires as well..

Could TIMING be an issue.. car went through a similar problem about 6 months ago and I luckily had a pressure sensor from another engine.. once we replaced it and the brain -just did a wholesale change out..the car 'idled' fine again, but still seemed a little powerless... (trust me I'm not expecting MUCH power from a 1.7 liter.. but it was still rather weak and iffy....

Thought I'd pass this around to the gods..

YOU GUYS WISH Dr. EVIL well on his trek out north to the world of becoming a human mechanic?
Allan
I have a Sebring on my car and I like it.
Joe Ricard
I have a Bursch it works fine but I'm looking at replacing the muffler with something like a Magnaflow.
Cut up a Manta 1.7 / 1.8 to make them little super trap pipes.

Don't know nuthing about a Sebring hope you fine it to be good quality.
Boldylocks
I've gone with Bursch in the past so I'll stick with it. My problem is every photo I've seen of the Seabring doesnt show or indicate a separate supporting 'arm' for the actuall muffler. It just seems that down here in San Diego where, for reasons I'll never understand, we have streets with potholes that would make an east coast street seem ice rink flat, I'd be better off having that additioal support.....

But its good to know that there arent any 'heat' or other performance based discussions when it comes to there usage.. Like no one has had any of these just fall off right?? -Just joking-..
Any ideas on the Idle problem.. does it sound like I'm heading the right direction.. _Cylinder Head Temp Sensor_ Pressure Sensor..
Or should I just check to have the timing done.. Are 914's known for their timing issues???
ematulac
There were a couple of posts in the past regarding the sebring exhaust. I got it, and I'm pretty happy with it, except for 2 things.

As you mentioned, it does not have a support for the muffler itself. I used a metal strap to support the body of the muffler from the heat shield. Crude, but it works fine.

The other thing that I didn't like was that the bolts and washers supplied with the it didn't do a great job of joining the flanges between the collector and the pipe going to the muffler. Get yourself a couple of copper exhaust nuts and some longer bolts instead. Do a search on the forum for 'copper and nuts' to find a supplier.

Otherwise, the Sebring works perfectly fine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.