Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WAS Top - " New Saratoga top " project back in the spot light
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Mikey914
So a few of you know we made an initial run of these some time ago (Yes it has been 10 years). We had a large learning curve and made a better product than the Saratoga tops in that they were more crude.

Ours use factory type seals, and will feature a abrasion resistant coating now that will make handling them easier for the end user (not having to be overly cautious on handling).

The tooling has been redone to make the fit and finish better I plan to pull the 1st sample part and assemble mid March on these, just for myself. Thought it may be time to bring these back.

Pricing will be in the $850 range for the roof with all seals and added protective costing that is more durable. This is if we get 10 takers Hardware will be available at $125 for all 4 mounting points in a non stock (custom made version)

Special colors (other than charcoal smoke) will be available but may have an extra charge ($50 ish) these will be available in the initial run without any additional fabrication cost to form as they will be part of the run.
You can see the blue one I did. It's pretty striking with the white interior.

We have been able to make significant improvements
on the original version that I plan to show in March when I can assemble the new prototype.

Do we have 10 takers for the roofs?
I'm your huckleberry.

I didn't understand the bit about the hardware.

Maybe now I won't need a heater.
hcdmueller
I'd be all over this if I wasn't moving to the UK in a few weeks.

Unless you've got a preproduction top sitting around. There's no way I could justify the shipping and import fees for this.
Van914
I am interested in one.
jim_hoyland
I want to replace mine for sure; please add my name to the list. I originally owned #3 top, but sold it to Wes in a time of need.IPB Image
PaulFV8
I’m in for one.

Thanks
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 11 2021, 03:43 AM) *

I want to replace mine for sure; please add my name to the list. I originally owned #3 top, but sold it to Wes in a time of need.

Jim, I see you're in Southern California. I'm curious whether you would use yours all year or if you would switch back to a regular roof in the summer.

I could sure use the (local) greenhouse effect here in Seattle this week.
anglophone1
Not sure if shipping to UK/ Ireland is possible/ affordable- if so would be in!
Steve
QUOTE(98101 @ Feb 11 2021, 04:24 AM) *

I want to replace mine for sure; please add my name to the list. I originally owned #3 top, but sold it to Wes in a time of need.

Jim, I see you're in Southern California. I'm curious whether you would use yours all year or if you would switch back to a regular roof in the summer.

@98101 I have the first gen on my car. Love it!! I was able to modify the stock hardware and make it work. I do switch the top with a stock top in the summer time. Even though it’s tinted and matches my windshield it will still cook you.

I would also be interested in the new top if it’s a significant improvement over the one I have.
BillJ
These look really nice. What are the color ranges? Does the 850ish price include the hardware or is that separate?
eric9144
@Mikey914 heck yeah beerchug.gif
Was on the old list but I'm 100% still in!
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(98101 @ Feb 11 2021, 04:24 AM) *

I used it year around. Never got hot because of the top. It’s kinda like a tinted window effect.
IPB Image
BillJ
Oh and Mike I am almost certainly in. Will be getting interior carpet and seats from you after already getting the dash so might as well show them off
Jett
I’ll take one as well.
Coondog
Yes, I am in...... smile.gif
bdstone914
@Mikey914

How do you adapt to the early and late rear targa latches? The distance between the locating bumps is different. The rubber blocks that fit into them are also different the height and width to match the lower latch.
I know if you put an early top on a tale car it will shift side to side.
Lg914
Count me in for one please
UkonCornelious
Looks great!
JamesM
Count me in. Been waiting for you to re-visit these.

wes
I’m definitely in!
Curbandgutter
Count me in!!!! Those are awesome. beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
Aerostatwv
Dittos, count me in as well.

Thanks,
Chris
Mikey914
QUOTE(BillJ @ Feb 11 2021, 06:25 AM) *

These look really nice. What are the color ranges? Does the 850ish price include the hardware or is that separate?

Well,
The smoke charcoal (same as the ones previously produced is the stock $850 build. I can get green ,Red, yellow a rose smoke color ,and I'm sure there are a few others. What it means is that I have to be able to get the material you want in a reasonable cost Each roof takes a full sheet due to the size. The shipping for the smoke will be divided among the entire lot of them. If I can source the the colored material at the same place them we can add in. The 1st ones for prototype are going to be clear.

The hardware is just that. It can use stock hardware to attach, we did make version of the latch that worked, but it costs to make them so we broke them out to hold the costs down.
Mikey914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Feb 11 2021, 08:05 AM) *

@Mikey914

How do you adapt to the early and late rear targa latches? The distance between the locating bumps is different. The rubber blocks that fit into them are also different the height and width to match the lower latch.
I know if you put an early top on a tale car it will shift side to side.

Shims and foam block, can be as easy as big washers. It's not much.
BillJ
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 11 2021, 05:07 PM) *

QUOTE(BillJ @ Feb 11 2021, 06:25 AM) *

Well,
The smoke charcoal (same as the ones previously produced is the stock $850 build. I can get green ,Red, yellow a rose smoke color ,and I'm sure there are a few others. What it means is that I have to be able to get the material you want in a reasonable cost Each roof takes a full sheet due to the size. The shipping for the smoke will be divided among the entire lot of them. If I can source the the colored material at the same place them we can add in. The 1st ones for prototype are going to be clear.

The hardware is just that. It can use stock hardware to attach, we did make version of the latch that worked, but it costs to make them so we broke them out to hold the costs down.

Thanks for clarifying and sounds really cool. I have a silver car so smoke is probably the right one unless there is a silver version! Really glad you are making these.
SO.O.C914er
Put me down for a smokie one......thanks Paul
Steve
How about Alaska blue?
Villemi
I'm ok for one too !!! For the color I don't Know
nditiz1
I'm pretty sure I'd be game for this.

How do I get you to make one for the 911 targa idea.gif
wes
If smoke - charcoal was the original that’ll be my order with hardware, And thanks!
IDEFIX63
Will you be able to ship to france or at least south carolina (I have a friend there who can help me if shipping to france is too costly...)?

Anyway, you can count me in! this top would be really nice under the sun of france!
DucRS
I’d like a smoked/charcoal original colored one.
drem914
QUOTE(wes @ Feb 12 2021, 11:17 AM) *

If smoke - charcoal was the original that’ll be my order, And thanks!

I think I will do one also, if you can squeeze one more in?
I have to to empty out my gift card some how. piratenanner.gif
ahycaramba
Count Me in for a smoked one. piratenanner.gif
ValcoOscar
YES....put me on the list.

CHARCOAL GRAY, SMOKE

O
Mikey914
QUOTE(wes @ Feb 12 2021, 11:17 AM) *

If smoke - charcoal was the original that’ll be my order, And thanks!

Smoke charcoal was the original way we made them the somke amber is what the other company used. We chose the charcoal as it was able to look better with more colors. Think clear black.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 11 2021, 06:55 PM) *

How about Alaska blue?

Yes see the one on my Alaska Blue. With white interior.
If you look at the seats you can see the light coming through make the white have a blue tint.
Mikey914
QUOTE(IDEFIX63 @ Feb 12 2021, 02:42 PM) *

Will you be able to ship to france or at least south carolina (I have a friend there who can help me if shipping to france is too costly...)?

Anyway, you can count me in! this top would be really nice under the sun of france!

Yes we can, they are a decent size so shipping isn't super cheap. If you visit your friend I'd use some silk tape to make handles on the box and call it a checked bag.
Either way I'm sure we can ship, as we have sent one to Germany last round.
Mark
zfisher6164
I would be in for a charcoal top
Rob914
Mark,

I'm undecided on color but I'm in for one with hardware.
IDEFIX63
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 13 2021, 10:51 AM) *

QUOTE(IDEFIX63 @ Feb 12 2021, 02:42 PM) *

Yes we can, they are a decent size so shipping isn't super cheap. If you visit your friend I'd use some silk tape to make handles on the box and call it a checked bag.
Either way I'm sure we can ship, as we have sent one to Germany last round.
Mark

Thanks! I'm definitely in (charcoal one), as you said, worst case i will use my friend's south carolina adress

let me know for the next steps!
gkk
I’m in too. Shipping to Ontario Canada if that is possible

George Kerhoulas
djway
In smile.gif
Pappy1975
I am in for a charcoal one.
Thanks
fasthonda
I'm in for one.

Michael

Cornerlot
I'd like to see an example of what a green shaded one looks like from the inside and outside. The 1950's Ford Skyliner's had a green shaded Plexiglas top, will this be similar?
BillJ
How are these coming along Mike?
Mikey914
Well I'm clearing off my plate of one big project right now. The roll bar pad. It is the next one on my plate so the time line still is good for May-June. Some of the challenge will be the material availability. I'm working on it now. As you know with Covid everyone is putting up barriers and production from the manufacturers is on the clear product. Good news is we have a jump on locating material.
-Mark
BillJ
Thanks Mike - about to call your order line for carpet, seats covers and hardware, and the roll bar pad so wondering if i should wait to do one big purchase with the roof as well. Looks like there is no need to wait.
Mikey914
Would love to, but until it's ready (in inventory) I can't sell it. Part of the new accounting system. DO get the roll by while the discount price is good. You can email scott@914R...... to hold the order and combine.
Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.