Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone recognize these four bolt valve covers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
I know everyone hates these, but they came with my car.

I'd like to find replacement bolt seals but I can't even tell who made these things. They look different than the ones currently sold online.

Can anyone help?
Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Never seen that version of cover before. Looks like valve cover holes are too large. Maybe some kind of s sleeve to fill gap? Thinking viton seal or maybe aluminun crush washer used on oil drain plug
Superhawk996
Not everyone hates them. I'm sort of partial to them.

Ran EMPI covers on my 1st 914 after I once had a massive leak with the OEM bail springs and lost all my oil on the highway. Put EMPI covers on and probably had in excess of 80,000 miles on them, no problem.

But like Mark, I've never seen the 4 bolt version.
brant
I have not seen the 4 bolt version either

But ran the 2 bolt version in a race car for years and they are great for that
bdstone914
I have not seen the four bolt either. I like Marks idea of a crush washer. Those look like 8mm bolt heads. Pull one out and measure it.

I would start looking here:

https://www.mcmaster.com/washers/sealing-wa...urement~metric/
Mark Henry
A crush washer won't work, it expands and contracts too much. It has to be a rubber O-ring of some type.
jd74914
How about a bonded seal washer? You can torque which isn't 'possible' with a pure rubber o-ring but still can tolerate some movement.

Example:
https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/9500-...EwaAgPWEALw_wcB
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 11 2021, 02:36 PM) *

A crush washer won't work, it expands and contracts too much. It has to be a rubber O-ring of some type.

agree.gif

If I recall, they initially came with rubber O-rings that went under the washers into a slight chamfer. Mine eventually tore and I was left empty handed.

Back in the day when I was broke, I used to cut a 1/8" to 1/4" piece of rubber hose with a reasonable ID to fit the M8 bolt and put it under the washer and it sort of got forced down into the chamfer of the valve cover bolt.

Not going to lie, sometimes I would get very minor weepage past that homebrew seal.

When I use these type valve covers again in the future, I'll probably custom machine a bobbin or washer arrancement with an O-ring but it will probably also involve some machine work to the cover itself to make it work.
zig-n-zag
They look like Saco covers.
914Sixer
I like the bonded seal washer.
hcdmueller
Try CIS/K-jet injector seals. They're viton and hold up in pretty terrible conditions.

Something like this

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=...47TtFShDi6kRBbR
914-Kazoo
QUOTE(98101 @ Feb 11 2021, 03:03 AM) *

I know everyone hates these, but they came with my car.

I'd like to find replacement bolt seals but I can't even tell who made these things. They look different than the ones currently sold online.

Can anyone help?
Click to view attachment

Kind of look like these?

LN Engineering Billet VW Type 4 Porsche 914
maf914
LN Engineering Billet VW Type 4 Porsche 914

Wow! The LN Engineering valve covers are a bit pricey at $769.

https://lnengineering.com/type-4-store/type...lve-covers.html

Photos are from the LN Type 4 website.

Superhawk996
new_shocked.gif
zig-n-zag
FAT sells replacement valve cover o-rings for their bolt-on Valve Cover Kit.
Freezin 914
Hopefully for that much money, the LN covers would have a lifetime warranty and wouldn’t warp and leak. confused24.gif
mate914
Yea... Why so dam expensive?

Matt flag.gif
Front yard mechanic
Try the Toyota 22r seals the have a nice washer bonded to the seal and don't leak...often
Shivers
QUOTE(mate914 @ Feb 16 2022, 05:13 AM) *

Yea... Why so dam expensive?

Matt flag.gif

After the prices went crazy on 914's, I saw a lot of parts prices that went crazy with right along with them. I'd bet he is REALLY attached to those valve covers and put an absolute insane freaking price on them because the wife wants them gone. confused24.gif
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Feb 16 2022, 04:43 AM) *

Hopefully for that much money, the LN covers would have a lifetime warranty and wouldn’t warp and leak. confused24.gif

For that much they should come with heads.
maf914
QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Feb 16 2022, 08:15 AM) *

For that much they should come with heads.

That's good! laugh.gif
ChrisFoley
The rocker studs are not perpendicular to the valve cover face. So if the bolt surfaces are not faced to the same angle as the studs it's nearly impossible to create a good seal.
None of the 2 bolt covers I've seen were faced at the proper angle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.