Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early instrument wiring question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
roundtwo
Hello. Pulling my instrument panel out for refurbishing. 1. I see that there is a missing bulb or something that goes into this female connector On the early model fuel gauge. anyone know what that part is and where I could find it? See yellow highlight.

2. Red wire. This must be a power wire as it continues down to other gauges with multiple connections. I think seven in all. See the second picture. What’s odd is what I open up the dash the connector highlighted wasn’t connected to anything. You would think it would need to power the item in number one above but if it was connected to that it wouldn’t of reached to all the other connectors on the other gauges. Could there be a jumper wire from that red female terminator to the location in picture one?

Thanks. Todd
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
FlacaProductions
Does this help? I know early and later are a little different.
does your gauge just have the red field at the top of it or does it have a temp gauge?

Note that the diagram shows the gauges upside down.

Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
"early" means nothing. What year is your 914...Can we assume its stock?
roundtwo
I was saying it was an early gauge in the sense that the gauge has the silver centers vs the black centers / black at the needle attachment point on the tach. I assumed that was form a later model.

See picture.
Thanks for the diagram with the spreadsheet. That’s fantastic it’s just not quite right for my gauge. It does give me a clue as to what the probable wiring is though.

I took the picture of the back upside down for ease of comparing it to the picture of the gauge you posted in the same position
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
roundtwo
Having a hard time attaching photosClick to view attachment
roundtwo

FlacaProductions
is your BRAKE label on the bottom of the half-moon on the front off-center toward the left? could you have two different warnings being indicated in that space - brake on the left and ??? on the right?

usually that brake symbol is (more) centered.

under the top edge of that gauge - part number: 914 641 102 50 ?

Bruce - early does mean something, no? Silver dot vs. non. In this case, an early/silver dot fuel gauge has separate spades for + and - where the later connections are part of a black, plastic unit....i guess + is + and - is - but....they're a bit different.
Jonathan Livesay
Did the early gauge have separate bulbs for handbrake switch and brake warning light from the master cylinder?
roundtwo
Hey Brian. I don’t know the answer that question. I’ve never had the car running. It’s a 1970 I pulled out of the garage in Oakland California about six months ago. What is stored for 25 years and now I’m going through the instrument panel.

I’m assuming what’s missing had two terminals. I imagine the red with white wire needs to power one of those terminals but the lead is too short. One of the terminals on the red and white wire was unplugged from anything yet all the other gauges were completely wired in series from it. That red wire comes Out of the main harness. It first plugs into the back of the multi gauge then continues Daisy chained to the tach and speedometer.
timothy_nd28
You should put a lamp in that unused light port, and wire it to flash when you hit 88mph
roundtwo
Click to view attachment
roundtwo
That 88 mph will definitely be on a steep downhill at this point
904svo
shine a flashlight in the lamp holder and see what lights up that should tell you what the holder is for.
timothy_nd28
If you shine a light inside that unused lamp holder, the other side of the brake indicator lamp will illuminate.
Click to view attachment

My belief is that the double brown wire with yellow stripe could be separated. So one side of the indicator would illuminate for parking brake, and the other side would illuminate for MC failure. I don't think it ever came to fruition from the factory.
timothy_nd28
Actually what would be pretty cool, if you replace the right side with a blue lens. Then wire each lamp to a small circuit that alternates each lamp back and forth, and finally have it triggered by a radar detector idea.gif
Wish I thought of this when I was driving as a teenager!
roundtwo
Hey Timothy,
Good idea with shining the light through the two holes in the rear of the gauge. It looks like both are for illumination. The one that had the missing lead and obviously I know now it needs the bulb and then the one right next to it. Both are designated for lights.

Now I just have to track down one missing light socket.

I still haven’t figured out the wire however meanwhile I just picked up another 1970. I’ll open up the instrument panel and take a peek at the wiring. How convenient !!!!

Now I can totally justify buying a third 1970 914 smile.gif
FlacaProductions
Is the red field split or one big section?
timothy_nd28
Definitely split, I have a few of these laying around the shop, I'll attach a picture later
FlacaProductions
Interesting - never seen it split.
JeffBowlsby
The issue with the term 'early' is that ther were three silver dot gauges. Maybe there was some wiring differences? The chassis harnesses which include the dash gauge wiring were also different for these 'early' years.

The sketch diagram is for a 1974 gauge...so may not be correct for any other model year.

See here: http://www.p914.org/p914_gauges_fuel-comp_early.htm
FlacaProductions
Wow - ok - i get it. I've never seen the top two before.
timothy_nd28
The majority of combo gauges are like this
Click to view attachment
timothy_nd28
A few unicorns have this style
Click to view attachment
FlacaProductions
so - why the division? what was the 2nd warning supposed to be for? Brake on the left (as labeled) but what on the right?
roundtwo
Yes mine is split.
I tracked down additional silver centered cages for my other 1970 but they have a different wiring configuration on the back for the multi gauge, tach , and speedometer.

Apparently there were multiple versions of the silver center gauges. A bit frustrating trying to find The ones that match my 1970 wiring harness. Most I’ve run across do not. wacko.gif
roundtwo
Very interesting. Check out the comparison. The top row of gauges not in the instrument panel bracket is from the original 1970. The bottom row of gauges are the ones I purchased through the Samba. Note the highlighted yellow differences. It doesn’t matter so much for me about the faces, but the wiring is definitely different except for the tachometer

The gauges on the lower row are in really nice shape but how do I wire them?

Think I need to keep searching for the early model gauges although that might be a misnomer it’s kind of making sense to call them thatClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
roundtwo
Very interesting. Check out the comparison. The top row of gauges not in the instrument panel bracket is from the original 1970. The bottom row of gauges are the ones I purchased through the Samba. Note the highlighted yellow differences. It doesn’t matter so much for me about the faces, but the wiring is definitely different except for the tachometer

The gauges on the lower row are in really nice shape but how do I wire them?

Think I need to keep searching for the early model gauges although that might be a misnomer it’s kind of making sense to call them thatClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
timothy_nd28
I don't think that I've seen a red color lens on the oil warning light before, it's usually green. Same for the generator lamp, its usually red. I think the person who opened up that combo gauge got some things reversed.
You circled the lamp ports on the back side of the combo gauge. Pretty straight forward, the lamp with the blue wire and black stripe goes there
roundtwo
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Feb 16 2021, 12:30 PM) *

I don't think that I've seen a red color lens on the oil warning light before, it's usually green. Same for the generator lamp, its usually red. I think the person who opened up that combo gauge got some things reversed.
You circled the lamp ports on the back side of the combo gauge. Pretty straight forward, the lamp with the blue wire and black stripe goes there

Agreed. I think someone botched the restoration off that gauge. Thanks for the wiring info.
jk76.914
That speedometer looks like it's from an early 911 or a 912, or maybe even a 356. The gauges were held in with hold down brackets from behind that screwed down with knurled nuts onto those two studs......
mark04usa
For 1970, the left half of the red lens is for the handbrake warning. The right half was for the Sportomatic oil temp warning light. This is explained on page 15 of the 1970 model owner's manual. Note that there is no mention of the Sportomatic in 71 and later manuals. So anyway, the right side bulb is supposed to be deleted for a 5 speed car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.