Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why the clutch disk was fouled: NOT the engine-to-transmission ("rear main") seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BACKGROUND: I bought a car built by a confused retiree in SoCal. It had a big engine with the wrong camshaft for its displacement. The Dellorto carbs were sort of randomly attached. The clutch slipped a lot, despite it being pretty new. I theorized that the clutch had been contaminated by engine oil leaking past the engine-to-transmission seal, which VW guys call "rear main seal" because they put their engines on backwards.

It turns out the clutch was fouled, but not from the engine. It looks like someone had used a transaxle on its last legs, and that had leaked its fluid into the spinning clutch and pressure plate.

If you examine the right side of the photo you may see the radial lines the transmission fluid left on its way to ruin the clutch surfaces.

Click to view attachment

Spoke
Bummer. Besides the transaxle seal and clutch, what other "while you're in there" items are you going to address?
QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 11 2021, 06:50 PM) *

Bummer. Besides the transaxle seal and clutch, what other "while you're in there" items are you going to address?

We're installing a Dr. Evil tranny and Tangerine Racing linkage.

If practical we'll get at the pushrod tube seals leaking some oil.

It would have been much cheaper to buy a car that's already been done right.
brant
I’ve actually had more leaks and wet clutch discs from tranny output shaft seals than I’ve had from engine rear main seals over the last 30 years. Although I’ve had both

That trans seal is a maintenance item
914Sixer
The new replacement seals for the transmission and engine are NOT made the same way as the factory ones. It is an item that has been addressed in years past.
rgalla9146
You may have a flywheel problem too.
It may be the angle of the picture but it appears there is greater wear at the
perimeter of the disc than there is towards the center.
Has the flywheel been machined ? properly ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.