Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carbon Fiber 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rktmn247
Is that a crazy idea? What would it cost? I would want mine to include GT flares, doors, and lids. Could it be street legal or only track?

wacko.gif
Beebo Kanelle
there may be some folks looking into that.
rktmn247
Maybe just the shell and there is a build you can google called "v8 stealth beetle" for an interesting chassis design. I really like that build just wish it was in 914 instead of a beetle. How hard would it be to create a platform like that for the 914?
rktmn247
Episode 9 "we love aluminum" shows the frame. Could this be done for a 914?
horizontally-opposed
Those stealth Beetles are something else. Super cool, and love the commitment. Wow.

914 unibody in carbon would probably be a seven~ figure deal to engineer and create tooling for—this before producing one—and then would need to be registered as something other than a 914 as you can't transfer the VIN most places.

The good news is the 914 is very light even with its steel unibody. Drivable, full-body race cars—less a roof?—get into the 1600s and 1700s, and a fair bit of the 914's bodywork can already be had in carbon fiber. It would take some work, but I'm guessing a street-legal -4 with Perlon carpeting, Plexi door windows, Plexi rear window, lightweight battery, alloy calipers, etc etc could get into the 1750-1850lb range…
rktmn247
Maybe Tygaboy could comment on the chassis complexities. Putting a body on a solid chassis with no rust issues would be great. If I really liked it I would probably drop 20K just to be able to bolt in my engine. suspension, and .....
Lucky9146
Your dream is real

Saw this 914 at Werks Reunion Amelia Island March 2020 before the whole Covid thing.

Not the entire body but this guy was amazing and he made all these pieces himself I must have talked to him for a half hour he was so interesting. Flares, lids, doors, and street legal because he drove it there! He made a hood without headlights and put them in the bumper. It can be done!

driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Lucky9146
The doors were amazing and as I recall a real challenge and note the window does not roll down.
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rktmn247
Wow! Really interesting. I would want functioning windows though.
maj75
Must be an oven inside.

If you were going to fix the window in place, why not lose the triangle section in the front and make one large window? Filling in that triangle with CF seems like it would create a huge blind spot.
Lucky9146
This was his solution for getting air in the cabin.

driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.