Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Q: Tranny lubrication.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr. Roger
"Bebe" the 914 is about ready to be run and the tranny is still dry.

Little shock loading but run hard, none the less.

I'm guessing somethinglike Redline synth but what are you racers using?

Thanks. Roger
smg914
In my 914-6 race car I've always used SWEPCO 201 Multi-Purpose Gear Lube with great success.
john rogers
I use Swepco also and this year went to using a lube pump and cooler. For auto-x and even some DE's that would not be necessary but for road racing it will save all those expensive gears.
TimT
Swepco 201 in the 901/914/915 boxes

Mobil 1 in the G50s
ws91420
I just saw that Lucas oil is making a gear oil now. Thinking about using that when I out mine back together.
brant
I'm going to be the LONE person to say this...
but I have always used mobil 1 in my race trannys.
I do it because my builder tells me too.
he built my last 3 race trannys...

I know EVERYONE else will tell you this is a bad idea but I have NOT had problems doing this for 10+ years.

brant
Dr. Roger
OK,

read some great articles on Swepco and it sounds really great.

Anyone know where to buy it in the North Bay Area?

SF Bay area?

tat2dphreak
QUOTE (ws91420 @ Jul 18 2005, 02:00 PM)
I just saw that Lucas oil is making a gear oil now. Thinking about using that when I out mine back together.

I thought the lucas stuff was snake oil?!
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jul 18 2005, 12:23 PM)

Their cute little display's showing how their gear oil clings to gears better than the competition almost has me sold...

but I thought it better to ask the old timers/racers on this board who know what's up. =-)

Maybe even save a few bucks on locating a cheaper place to procure it.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Jul 18 2005, 03:40 PM)

Their cute little display's showing how their gear oil clings to gears better than the competition almost has me sold...

but I thought it better to ask the old timers/racers on this board who know what's up. =-)

I asked about the motor oil additive here when I saw that display... search for it... no one liked the idea of using it
bondo
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Jul 18 2005, 01:20 PM)
OK,

read some great articles on Swepco and it sounds really great.

Anyone know where to buy it in the North Bay Area?

SF Bay area?

Partsheaven carries it.
ws91420
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jul 18 2005, 04:45 PM)
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Jul 18 2005, 03:40 PM)

I asked about the motor oil additive here when I saw that display... search for it... no one liked the idea of using it

Lucas is the real deal from what I have heard it has been around for years. Now what has been proven not to work is this stuff made (yeah right) by a company partially owned by a company thats owns some southern racetracks. The product is Zmax.

Lucas is a primary sponsor in drag racing now.
SirAndy
QUOTE (smg914 @ Jul 18 2005, 11:22 AM)
In my 914-6 race car I've always used SWEPCO 201 Multi-Purpose Gear Lube with great success.

i second SWEPCO ... we even have it in the club-store ...

wink.gif Andy
TimT
I used to use Mobil 1 in my 901 boxes, used it for years with no problems.

I basically now use Swepco cuz we sell it wink.gif
BIGKAT_83
I've been using 80W90 gear oil for the last 19 years in my 914 and its worked great. Its cheap at $4.97 a gallon at Wal-Mart

Bob wink.gif
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (BIGKAT_83 @ Jul 19 2005, 04:26 PM)
I've been using 80W90 gear oil for the last 19 years in my 914 and its worked great. Its cheap at $4.97 a gallon at Wal-Mart

Bob wink.gif

Hey Bob,

How's that Green bad boy of yours coming along?

I keep expecting progress pics.. =-)

Roger
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.