Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More Transmission Woes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iiibdsiil
Aight, so I got my trans in my 914 today. The rod for whatever reason is hitting the firewall. The shop that built the car for the PO for some reason needed to adjust the length on the rod, as I can tell because it is all welded up and whatnot. The rod hits the firewall for 1st and 3rd. 5th, I can manage to get in. I couldn't find any adjustments, so I am headbang.gif right now. I am not sure why there is now this problem. I am get it into 1st on the floor and it is fine. My shifter has always gone wayyyyyy far forward, and not that far back. Like, if I get too exuberant with my shift, I can hit my hand on the dash. So, what I am thinking is to pull the rod, and shorten it like 1/2" and see if that fixes the problem. Any ideas?

Motor = 3.2
Trans = 901 Side shift
Rod = Section between firewall and shift linkage on trans
Joe Ricard
Uh better yet you might wantto get a measurement of a known good rod. I'll try and remember tonight but I'm already pretty busy. Anyone help with a measurement?
iiibdsiil
Well, if I shorten the rod, won't it just recipricate to my shift throw being less?
lapuwali
There's a pinch bolt that holds the clevis to the rod just under the shift lever. This allows adjustment of the shift lever relative to the rod, so you can push the rod back.

However, if the car isn't actually going into gear before the coupler hits the firewall, then the rod from the coupler to the shift ball on the tranny is the problem. It's too long, or the ball cup at the shift console it all worn out or missing, or there's a linkage problem inside the gearbox itself. The coupler is held to the each rod with cone screws, and the ball cup piece is also held on that way, so there's no way for those to be misaligned. If the rear rod has been lengthened for some reason (V8 conversion?), then you can drill a new hole in the rod for the ball cup's cone screw that effectively shortens the rod.
iiibdsiil
The bushing is definitely in the thing. I will tinker with the shifter when I get a chance, and then if not, I will sawzall-smiley.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.