Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tangerine Carb Linkage - Any Pics Out there
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NS914
Hey Guys,

I am slowly getting this car done...very slowly. Having just finished cleaning out my Throttle Cable tube and finally getting that sorted my next project is getting the Tangerine Carb Linkage assembled and on the car.

Can any of you that have assembled this linkage provide any pictures etc. I made the mistake of putting the engine back in the car and really should have waited to finish this work but oh well.

Next up will be finishing off my Centre Mount Park Brake...and a whole bunch of other stuff. Once I remember how to post pictures that are not upside down I will restart my build thread which for the life of me I cannot find....LOL!

Much thanks as always, Grant
rfinegan
I configured 2 ways here is a pic of the cables in the front of the carbs. The others had the cams facing the back. both work about the same...

Click to view attachment
rfinegan
duplicate
Al Meredith
I installed this linkage about 2 years ago on an engine I built for someone else. The instructions are complete and I had the engine on a stand in my garage. I would thing if I installed the linkage in the car it would have taken twice as long. It took me 4 hours to drill the holes ,insert the roll pin, align everything. I'm sure someone else could have done it quicker but I don't work that fast anymore and I don't charge that much either.
SKL1
Put the linkage in my '73 a couple years ago, in the car. Don't remember it being a major PITA but maybe my memory isn't as good as it was smile.gif

One pic is from over a year ago before I had the engine out for a transaxle rebuild and sheet metal powdercoating etc... Other one more recent.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
jitty
QUOTE(NS914 @ Feb 15 2021, 11:04 AM) *

Hey Guys,

I am slowly getting this car done...very slowly. Having just finished cleaning out my Throttle Cable tube and finally getting that sorted my next project is getting the Tangerine Carb Linkage assembled and on the car.

Can any of you that have assembled this linkage provide any pictures etc. I made the mistake of putting the engine back in the car and really should have waited to finish this work but oh well.

Next up will be finishing off my Centre Mount Park Brake...and a whole bunch of other stuff. Once I remember how to post pictures that are not upside down I will restart my build thread which for the life of me I cannot find....LOL!

Much thanks as always, Grant

Just put this on recently actually, The install is straight forward and the instructions are good. I had to modify it a bit since the crossover cable was a bit too short in the kit so I cut my own from a shimano brake cable. I am not entirely sure I've got this correct though, since now I've got runaway throttle after it gets warmed up and when I get heavy footed. I'm looking at adding an additional return spring on the master carb.
Maybe my cable loop is too tight, but I dont see how else to make it work.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jitty @ Feb 15 2021, 04:48 PM) *

I think if you moved the throttle cable out of the grommet and ran it up the front past the tin, or cut a new hole in a better location in the tin, the throttle would close more easily.
jitty
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Feb 15 2021, 03:24 PM) *

QUOTE(jitty @ Feb 15 2021, 04:48 PM) *

I think if you moved the throttle cable out of the grommet and ran it up the front past the tin, or cut a new hole in a better location in the tin, the throttle would close more easily.

Yeh, thanks, I was thinking about exploring that also, --need to get under it and look for a better route for the cable. Low stress on the cable is good, I had one snap on me and that is no fun poke.gif
rfinegan
I did as Chris was saying on mine too. Basically routed the cable right over the timing port on the blower housing. No problems
NS914
Guys, these images are really helpful....I will get going on this over the weekend if not sooner and take pics. Chris, thanks for jumping in a as well....I will be mindful of how I route the cable.

As always, thanks so much for your help. Grant
NS914
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Feb 15 2021, 04:05 PM) *

I installed this linkage about 2 years ago on an engine I built for someone else. The instructions are complete and I had the engine on a stand in my garage. I would thing if I installed the linkage in the car it would have taken twice as long. It took me 4 hours to drill the holes ,insert the roll pin, align everything. I'm sure someone else could have done it quicker but I don't work that fast anymore and I don't charge that much either.

This was the part that was stumping me....and yes, I almost want to take the motor out again to do it...LOL!
rfinegan
The 2 engine swaps I did were without intakes. This reduced the Car height required to get the motor clear of the bumper valance . It also keeps the carbs from getting bumped/broken...So to each there own. NO WRONG way of doing a swap, just some are better
NS914
QUOTE(NS914 @ Feb 16 2021, 02:45 PM) *

Guys, these images are really helpful....I will get going on this over the weekend if not sooner and take pics. Chris, thanks for jumping in a as well....I will be mindful of how I route the cable.

As always, thanks so much for your help. Grant

Hi Guys,

Your pics were really helpful and really if I am honest...taking the carbs out of the car made the whole process much easier...what was I thinking...so here is a few pics just to add to this process. I might add once I had easy access to the carbs all was really quite simple. Chris' instructions were really good and I followed them to a T!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

oh and here is a pic of the car to date....more questions to come for sure!

Click to view attachment

Again, thanks so much for responding to my questions over the ages.

Grant
rhodyguy
Put the linkage on engine out of car. Simply remove the 8 nuts and lift the carbs and linkage assem off in one piece. The rear of the car needs to be lifted pretty high for the carbs/filters to clear the body. Leave the intakes in place and undisturbed. Put the engine in and install the package.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.