Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: break in oil again
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
I know there are several threads on this but are at least a few years old and there are more options now I think. I need to order break in oil for first start but not sure what I should get. Top choices are Brad Penn/PennGrade or Driven Racing. Any thoughts among Brad Penn 30w, Driven 5w-30, or Driven 15w-50? All are ZDDP fortified. Driven is better priced so could save a little beer money to either celebrate or drown sorrows depending on how thinks go blink.gif .

Thanks.
Al Meredith
Driven has a straight 30 "brake in " oil for DYNO use only . I thing the bottle says 300 miles of driving.
bbrock
Got on the Driven Oil web site and it looks like the straight 30w has been replaced by the 15w-50 (BR) oil. It's the only one they list as recommended for air cooled engines anyway.

Got another question though. I see recommendations to change the oil after the 15-20 minute cam break in period. Seems like good advice. Do you use break in oil during the cam break in, dump it and replace with fresh break in, or what? confused24.gif
mlindner
Valvoline VR!, 20-50. high zinc.
jaredmcginness
I used High Zinc Valvoline VR 3 times. It was available at my Pep Boys.

1. For initial cam break in. 20 minutes.
2. Fill the oil for second break in. 2 minutes.
3. Fill oil again for second break in because I forgot the drain plug in "step 2". idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.