Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who is restoring center caps these days?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
I need this set restored. In pretty good condition already, just need some detail work.
TonyA
I need to get some refinished and repaired also. Thanks,
Jeff let us know how you make out if you send yours in .
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Feb 15 2021, 12:43 PM) *

I dunno if its the photo or what, but that upper left cap in particular loses all original definition of the profile. Am I misreading the image?
Mueller
I agree with you Jeff, the cap looks like he removed the step and made it convex instead of 2 separate planes.
914_7T3
QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 15 2021, 02:55 PM) *

I agree with you Jeff, the cap looks like he removed the step and made it convex instead of 2 separate planes.

If you look at the before photo, the lip was damaged and could not be brought back without the proper dye. I since used two better center cap donors to get the desired result for a perfect set.

If the lip is intact going into the process, it will come out looking great!
Craigers17
Although I think the overall restoration of those caps looks great, you'd think the Trim King would be a little better at massaging the lips in order to get a better overall rim-job.
914Sixer
Some one here had a die made and was restoring them but it has been several years ago.
Mikey914
We had actually made a die and were moving forward on doing restorations on these. The problem was the finish. mostly where they came into contact with the steel. You get galvanic corrosion and this is the primary reason they are so hard to remove. It took about 2 hours to do a set that were ok, but short of re plating them they were still damaged where they inset into the wheels on the flange. It would be almost certain that they would do the same thing again so we abandoned that venture as shipping back and forth, and variation on the quality of the cores would make some even more difficult to do, we figured we could make a better version.

I'd be happy to open up a GB on the new polished ones that are very difficult to tell the difference. They are made from billet aluminum and highly polished.

Say $99 a set if I can get 10 takers? Would that help?

TonyA
I have both the original and the reproduction. The only difference that I see is the flange that rest against the wheel is slightly narrow compared to the original.
Rrrockhound
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 16 2021, 01:56 PM) *

We had actually made a die and were moving forward on doing restorations on these. The problem was the finish. mostly where they came into contact with the steel. You get galvanic corrosion and this is the primary reason they are so hard to remove. It took about 2 hours to do a set that were ok, but short of re plating them they were still damaged where they inset into the wheels on the flange. It would be almost certain that they would do the same thing again so we abandoned that venture as shipping back and forth, and variation on the quality of the cores would make some even more difficult to do, we figured we could make a better version.

I'd be happy to open up a GB on the new polished ones that are very difficult to tell the difference. They are made from billet aluminum and highly polished.

Say $99 a set if I can get 10 takers? Would that help?

Count me in at that price.

My car came to me with a decent set but I naively dropped the wheels off at a tire shop to get the tires changed and when I picked them up the stupid ape who worked on them had beat the sh*t out of the center caps like he was working on a clapped-out Kia. mad.gif Never again.
mb911
King of trim is super expensive. I got a quote on roll bar trim they wanted $150-175 per side um I passed. I am sure they do a great job though.
Mikey914
It does take a lot of work to finish aluminum. Even with the right equipment.
sixnotfour
I have a die set also. Did a set for you.,,Its about what you want . oem or repo,,esp when it comes to the flange dia...... those look repressible, with a heat shrink and polish..

The other set done by ?? the one is a throw away,,they did what they could..
JeffBowlsby
Do I hear an offer to restore the set in the first photo of this thread? If so PM me with details please.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.