Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LED headlight conversion needed load?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wyvern
Hi.
Installed the 914Rubber LED headlight bulds and love them.
I do have foglights and they are now "confused"
On the site I read
"If you have fog lights put enough load on the circuit to trip the switch between high and low beams while the fog lights are on."

Say what?

What do I need to buy/ how to install?

Thanks
Shivers
I'd say that they want you to add a load resistor. Check manufacturer s website for the specs on the correct one, and where they want it. P.S. Resistors can get hot
Spoke
Check out this thread about LED headlights and interaction with foglights. The OEM 914 has the foglight relay powered in series with the high beam filament. This works for incandescent bulbs but fails with LED headlights.

The simple solution is to parallel a high power ballast resistor across the high beam or modify the wiring to the foglight relay as detailed in the thread. I don't like adding ballast resistors as they burn a lot of power (that you saved going to LED lights) and they can get very hot.

914 LED Headlights + Foglights
GregAmy
Or, rewire your foglight circuit so that it is independent of the low beams:

https://members.rennlist.com/demick/fogrewire.html
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 17 2021, 06:52 AM) *

Check out this thread about LED headlights and interaction with foglights. The OEM 914 has the foglight relay powered in series with the high beam filament. This works for incandescent bulbs but fails with LED headlights.

The simple solution is to parallel a high power ballast resistor across the high beam or modify the wiring to the foglight relay as detailed in the thread. I don't like adding ballast resistors as they burn a lot of power (that you saved going to LED lights) and they can get very hot.

914 LED Headlights + Foglights
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Feb 17 2021, 08:39 AM) *

Or, rewire your foglight circuit so that it is independent of the low beams:

https://members.rennlist.com/demick/fogrewire.html

either of these should work, i did what SPOKE suggested, as i have his LED fog light conversions and i have LED hi/low headlight too and now both work fine and i can have my fog lights on iwht or without the headlamps on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.