Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: front wheel bearings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EJP914
Putting my old bearings and races in new rotors. I know I need to pack the heck out of the bearings themselves with new grease. How about the stub axle the rotor goes on? Heavy or light application of wheel bearings grease? I dug out gobs of grease from the old rotor in the space between the front and rear bearings. Does this cavity need to be heavily greased too? Thanks for the advice.
EJP914
Mark Henry
QUOTE(EJP914 @ Feb 18 2021, 01:20 PM) *

Putting my old bearings and races in new rotors. I know I need to pack the heck out of the bearings themselves with new grease. How about the stub axle the rotor goes on? Heavy or light application of wheel bearings grease? I dug out gobs of grease from the old rotor in the space between the front and rear bearings. Does this cavity need to be heavily greased too? Thanks for the advice.
EJP914

Hand pack the bearings, then enough in the hub to give it a good even coat but not too much, a dollop wiped on each race and I put a light coat of grease on the inside of the cap. Also a light coat on the spindle for corrosion protection.
The spindle nut and washer facing outwards shouldn't have grease on it when you're done. If it does you likely used too much grease.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.