Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Testing a four MPS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
Hi All!

Ethan just tested four MPS on a '74 2.0 we have here and it seems one holds pressure but it runs erratic.
We tested the three other MPS and they tested good. I know that even if an MPS tests good, old MPS's the diaphragm's often fail once pressed back into service.

Would the Tangerine MPS diaphragm kit help this, or is there something else likely going on?

JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 18 2021, 11:56 AM) *

Hi All!

Ethan just tested four MPS on a '74 2.0 we have here and it seems one holds pressure but it runs erratic.
We tested the three other MPS and they tested good. I know that even if an MPS tests good, old MPS's the diaphragm's often fail once pressed back into service.

Would the Tangerine MPS diaphragm kit help this, or is there something else likely going on?

Open it up and see. Bet the diaphragm is ruptured, or at least the case is not vacuum tight.

Another issue may be corrosion on the coil shaft, or a distorted plate spring. When vacuum is pulled is it a smooth transition or is there any point where there is a pinging sound or sudden jerk of the increasing/decreasing vacuum signal? If so, that is not good and could be cause of the erratic behavior. That MPS could be unrepairable if this is what is happening.
Mark Henry
Thanks Jeff, I see Chris' kit also has a couple of O-rings and a gasket.
I'll dig into it but I'll just order a kit.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 18 2021, 04:23 PM) *

Thanks Jeff, I see Chris' kit also has a couple of O-rings and a gasket.
I'll dig into it but I'll just order a kit.

more than likely its torn, it might just be a small tear, so will run but not well. even hold vac fine . someone recently had this happen, had a couple they opened up, both had diaphragms torn but held vaccuum. I would order 2 kits, rebuild 2 so you have a spare. the paper gasket and the o-rings will make sure you have a good seal once rebuilt with new diaphragm.

i have 3 operating MPS right now for my 75 2.o d-jet. One was rebuilt by Jeff B for me and tuned then tested i believe on his car. In comparison to my one that i now have dialed in, that one still runs a bit lean. in fact every one i have ahd in my car or that was tuned to factory spec was too lean and had to be adjusted. but every car is different.

Phil
Mark Henry
Thanks
MikeM
Mark...I have one that has failed electrically. There is always that possibility.
Mike
Mark Henry
Thanks, yes I figured as much.
The one that's erratic is believed to be the original one on the car, numbers are correct so I'm hoping to repair it.
One of my good ones has a Tangerine kit in it and worst case I could use it, but it's part of a complete system I have.

mgphoto
I’ve rebuilt about a half dozen using Racer Chris’ kits. Very simple, you will need an induction meter to set up the basics with fine tuning done using an o2 meter.
Factory manual gives the values for the two coils resistance, if the coils are bad dump it. FYI 1.7 and 2.0 difference is a spacer ring in the 2.0. Also if you radius the edge of the ring the where it contacts diaphragm it will flex better and last much longer.
914_teener
I had one that was partially cracked.

Would operate and run fine...and then not.

warpig
Had a similar prob. Rebuilt MPS and would run erratically. Put the old one back in that won't hold vac., runs good with a slight hiccup around 3k. Been driving it whenever the sun is out for a couple years now and no issues? Not sure what the prob w/ the rebuilt one was or remember what rebuild kit went into it.
@cary
r_towle
Order kit (s)
Wait for arrival
Then open MPs
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.