Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is BHCC a scam?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ace Le Count
This was in my email this morning.
Looks nice, and priced decently... What's the catch?

https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1967-po...upe-c-12180.htm
Tom_T
QUOTE(Ace Le Count @ Feb 18 2021, 02:19 PM) *

Ace -

Most of what I've seen from them are junk cars for high great condition prices, but no direct experience myself.

Others on here have commented on them too in the past.

Hopefully others will chime in.

As with any seller - check them out closely, get a Pro PPI if you can, and check comparables.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
drem914
QUOTE(Ace Le Count @ Feb 18 2021, 02:19 PM) *

How handy are you with a cutting wheel and a grinder? welder.gif
A lot of rust-through on that one, but based on past cars and even current cars that BHCC lists this is on the low side.

mountainroads
What Tom says. NO personal experience myself either, but I can tell you those pictures suggest an extensive (and VERY expensive) restoration will be needed to make this car roadworthy again, which will quickly dwarf the initial purchase outlay. The tin worm has been very busy on this one and missing parts may be difficult and/or expensive to source. Restoring a 912 is just about as expensive as restoring a similar vintage 911, with the exception of the engine, and you end up with a less-desirable car (IMO).

- MR
siverson
Sort of looks like the seats were spray painted red. But am not sure...

-Steve
Mueller
Someone on the board did a video on this place, I'd say legit for sure.

You know their name from them posting total wrecks with goofy prices.
Sounds like a decent advertising strategy for them.

If they only posted perfect cars at cheap prices chances are you wouldn't remember them.
JamesM
QUOTE(Ace Le Count @ Feb 18 2021, 03:19 PM) *

The catch with them is usually the massive amount of rust or damage to some of the cars they are selling.

Just from the pictures they provided it looks like 20% of the chassis of that car has evaporated. If you are fine with the work needed for that price you should be good to go.

Just be sure to have someone very familiar with the needed repairs take a look, as that one looks pretty significant.
Jonathan Livesay
That looks like a $9000 car to me. It needs new floor pan, front suspension pan, all new sheet metal around the gas tank (probably a new gas tank) outer longs, probably inner longs. I'm betting you also wind up replacing the area under the rear window and the rear seat buckets. Then you can start on the engine, and the interior, suspension, transmission, body work and paint. By the time you've sunk 40K into it you will have a $45K car, $50K if it was a 3 gauge, $60 if it was a painted dash car.
mepstein
QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Feb 18 2021, 08:29 PM) *

That looks like a $9000 car to me. It needs new floor pan, front suspension pan, all new sheet metal around the gas tank (probably a new gas tank) outer longs, probably inner longs. I'm betting you also wind up replacing the area under the rear window and the rear seat buckets. Then you can start on the engine, and the interior, suspension, transmission, body work and paint. By the time you've sunk 40K into it you will have a $45K car, $50K if it was a 3 gauge, $60 if it was a painted dash car.

agree.gif Would have been a parts car a couple years ago.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 18 2021, 07:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Feb 18 2021, 08:29 PM) *

agree.gif Would have been a parts car a couple years ago.

Rarely can you call a 356/911/912 a parts car these days, they are all too valuable, or at least are perceived as such. The closest thing you see these days is guys taking SWB 912's and using them to rebody an early 911, but even those guys are mad at what 912's are going for. I recently had a guy looking for one, I just got in a 65, but when I told him it would be over $20,000 he didn't like it.
It's a new world for anything early these days.
Tdskip
No, not a scam. Lots of prior discussions here, most from people that have never actually dealt with or bought from them.

Frankly - most people don't understand their business model and try to force their expectations on them which doesn't reflect where the current day buying/selling isn't really at.

There are some very well priced and solid buys to be had if you can get there in person. If you can't get there in person, or have a trusted delegate get there in person, don't buy from them.
Tdskip
QUOTE(mountainroads @ Feb 18 2021, 05:40 PM) *

Restoring a 912 is just about as expensive as restoring a similar vintage 911, with the exception of the engine, and you end up with a less-desirable car (IMO).

It is dollar for dollar the same except for the engine because everything else is the same. Some of us find our 912s to be more usable for daily use, certainly true compared to high strung 911s (which is thing these days).
Tdskip
QUOTE(Ace Le Count @ Feb 18 2021, 05:19 PM) *

Looks nice...

This is the rub with BHCC - people who buy without knowing what they are actually looking at and actually buying.
iankarr
The place isn't a scam. It's real. Check out the video I shot there below.

BUT...they kind of specialize in high turnover sales of cars needing a lot of work. Some other marques may hold up better, but 914s at BHCC are generally rust buckets.

https://youtu.be/4VkhsAIWav8
mepstein
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Feb 19 2021, 11:25 AM) *

QUOTE(mountainroads @ Feb 18 2021, 05:40 PM) *

Restoring a 912 is just about as expensive as restoring a similar vintage 911, with the exception of the engine, and you end up with a less-desirable car (IMO).

It is dollar for dollar the same except for the engine because everything else is the same. Some of us find our 912s to be more usable for daily use, certainly true compared to high strung 911s (which is thing these days).

Early 912 engines are not cheap to rebuild.
Tdskip
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 19 2021, 12:38 PM) *

Early 912 engines are not cheap to rebuild.

Yep, I got a ballpark of between $15-18k on mine. Cheaper than a full on 911 rebuild, but not by much (depending on which 911 engine specifically, mag vs aluminum etc).
Andyrew
Pretty sure this pic tells you everything you need to know. Its going to be a full sheetmetal project, I suspect 20k in rust repair if not more..

IPB Image
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 19 2021, 09:47 AM) *

Pretty sure this pic tells you everything you need to know. Its going to be a full sheetmetal project, I suspect 20k in rust repair if not more..

IPB Image

They better get that thing down from the lift before it comes down by it's self. At least it would be easy to access everything that runs through the tunnel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.