Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Possible Text Scam?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Crudbud
Maybe I'm a bit suspicious, but I received a text from a local number early this morning and it had an attachment to download which I shouldn't of downloaded from an unknown number but I have excuses on hand!
Not important, but it was a text reading ... "I saw this in one of my magazines." It was an article about the rising cost of 914's and better hurry or something similar. I tried searching the number and got odd foreign names, to weed affiliated jibberish. It was a 707 number I blocked and reported as spam. Has anyone else received such a text? Probably nothing but worth noting.
Cairo94507
The world is full of idiots - some of them target our World members.
fixer34
NEVER download/open a file that was sent to your phone or computer UNLESS you absolutely KNOW who sent it to you and WHY.

Sorry for all the caps, but I don't know another way to impress the point. Downloading a file is like opening your front door when someone knocks without looking to see who it is. (and you have little/no way to stop them from coming in)

And do not text/email them back asking what it was...
mepstein
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Feb 19 2021, 06:21 PM) *

NEVER download/open a file that was sent to your phone or computer UNLESS you absolutely KNOW who sent it to you and WHY.

Sorry for all the caps, but I don't know another way to impress the point. Downloading a file is like opening your front door when someone knocks without looking to see who it is. (and you have little/no way to stop them from coming in)

And do not text/email them back asking what it was...

agree.gif 100% just assume it’s a scam unless you know it’s not.
SKL1
Interesting as I just a email saying I had a personal message here. Opened it and it said "I'm a scammer." I immediately deleted it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.