Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finally getting started
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Planeswalker33
I've finally made some progress on my 914 (1975 1.8) I picked up early last summer. Pulled the old gas tank and just received the new SS fuel lines from Tangerine. Spent last weekend making some cribbing blocks and lifting the car so I had easier/better access to underneath. I'm really happy with the condition of the car now that I'm able to get a better look. Very limited on rust and in really good working condition from what I can tell.

All that being said I pretty much have no clue what I'm doing so this has been a pretty fun adventure. The car was my Mother-in-law's and has been sitting in her garage for over a decade. She says said she was going to store it for a year or two in the garage and then bring it out once it was grandfathered into some emissions standards or something. I'm going to try and get started on the fuel lines this weekend and hopefully get the tank and fuel pump done as well.

Next steps for the next week:
1. Fuel Lines
2. Fuel Pump
3. Tank

After that I wanted to get the vacuum hoses replaced. I have not had that much fun trying to figure what I need on this so it will take a little more research. It seems like people are happy with the kits from AutoAtlanta. It doesn't look like that comes with clamps or the 19mm hose so I'll make sure to get those as well. Is there better or different hoses I should be looking at?

I also got some Marvel Mystery Oil as recommended. I'm going to research that and try and figure out how to turn it over to make sure things are free before I move forward on a whole lot else. Again being new to this I'm open to any guides or instructions/videos as I have no clue where to start.

I'll keep digging through the threads! I'm totally blown away by the amount of info tucked away everywhere. Adding some pics I've taken so far.
Planeswalker33
Here's some pictures so far. I've got all four wheels up finally now as well.
ndfrigi
Welcome to 914world!
Looks like you have Ljet fuel injection since it is a 75 1.8.
Lots of 914 owners here in SoCal.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Feb 19 2021, 01:27 PM) *

Welcome to 914world!

agree.gif but Southern California is rather large @ 56,000 Square miles. huh.gif

Where about are you?

O
Big Len
Nice car and best of luck !!
Your mother-in-laws??? You married the right girl.
Cairo94507
Nice looking car. I would definitely replace all fluids, engine, transaxle, brake and fuel. I would have the brake calipers rebuilt by PMB in Utah. Replace the tires. I would clean and check all of the electrical grounds on the car- there are quite a few. I would replace the fuel filter. Pull the plugs and squirt a couple shots of Marvel into the cylinders and let it sit overnight. Do that a couple of times. Then put the car in 5th gear and rock it a bit to see if the engine is turning over. If it is, put it in neutral and turn it over with the key. With fresh fuel, put plugs back in and see if it starts. Have a fire extinguisher handy and do this outside-not in the garage. Good luck and have fun. beerchug.gif
930cabman
java script:emoticon(':wttc:','smid_64')

Great project and great helpers.
Root_Werks
Nice! What a great start into the 914 world.
Planeswalker33
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Feb 19 2021, 02:00 PM) *

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Feb 19 2021, 01:27 PM) *

Welcome to 914world!

agree.gif but Southern California is rather large @ 56,000 Square miles. huh.gif

Where about are you?

O

Yorba Linda just off the 91
Planeswalker33
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 19 2021, 02:35 PM) *

Nice looking car. I would definitely replace all fluids, engine, transaxle, brake and fuel. I would have the brake calipers rebuilt by PMB in Utah. Replace the tires. I would clean and check all of the electrical grounds on the car- there are quite a few. I would replace the fuel filter. Pull the plugs and squirt a couple shots of Marvel into the cylinders and let it sit overnight. Do that a couple of times. Then put the car in 5th gear and rock it a bit to see if the engine is turning over. If it is, put it in neutral and turn it over with the key. With fresh fuel, put plugs back in and see if it starts. Have a fire extinguisher handy and do this outside-not in the garage. Good luck and have fun. beerchug.gif

Well this makes me feel good. This is pretty much what I was thinking. Thanks for the reply it definitely makes me feel a bit better about diving in on this.
914Sixer
Do the NEW HOSES before start up, the 1.8 engine is vacuum sensitive. Check the seal on the oil filler neck too. Suggest you get DR 914 book of 700 tips.
jhynesrockmtn
Having just gone through this on a 1970 that had been sitting for a long time but did run, barely, here is my two cents. I'll try not to repeat too much;

I agree with the PMB suggestion for rebuilt calipers. I'd add do the soft lines. Mine were completely plugged in the rear when I removed them. I only had front brakes. I'd also buy the pressure regulator from PMB and do the MC as well. Check the rotors for thickness and make sure they are true. Might as well be safe and have all new brakes.

Do the rubber fuel hoses in addition to the vacuum lines. The rubber may look fine but after all these years it won't be.

Trans shifter bushings. You need to be in the tunnel and remove some of this stuff anyway, might as well do those. Mine were literally dust.

Have fun, looks like a great project!
Planeswalker33
QUOTE(jhynesrockmtn @ Feb 20 2021, 11:24 AM) *

Having just gone through this on a 1970 that had been sitting for a long time but did run, barely, here is my two cents. I'll try not to repeat too much;

I agree with the PMB suggestion for rebuilt calipers. I'd add do the soft lines. Mine were completely plugged in the rear when I removed them. I only had front brakes. I'd also buy the pressure regulator from PMB and do the MC as well. Check the rotors for thickness and make sure they are true. Might as well be safe and have all new brakes.

Do the rubber fuel hoses in addition to the vacuum lines. The rubber may look fine but after all these years it won't be.

Trans shifter bushings. You need to be in the tunnel and remove some of this stuff anyway, might as well do those. Mine were literally dust.

Have fun, looks like a great project!

Good idea on the shifter bearings. I’m going to a pretty solid overhaul of the break system once I get it running. I’ve got the fuel lines all pulled and am hoping to get the stainless lines installed tonight along with all new hoses.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.