Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear bumper top puzzle Baffled or stupid?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dt4
I bought one of the new rear rubber tops from 914rubber and the weather warmed up enough this week to venture out to the garage to fit it
The trouble is that it doesnt align with the rear bumper I have fited
Are there more than one shape of bumper?
914rubber only shows the one type of top so would that fit all steel / chrome rear bumpers?
I took a few photos to illustrate my problem, there is a locating bolt in the middle of the rubber top but there isnt a corresponding one in the bumper itself
thanks for any pointers
David
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
bbrock
That middle bolt attaches to a tab welded to the chassis. Take a look at the tail of your car and you should see it. It should make sense then.
76-914
The ends don't align either. They tend to stick out. I needed to shoot two #6 x 1" screws thru the bumper and into the rubber while holding it in place. beerchug.gif
dt4
do I need to bend the middle section to follow the profile of the bumper?
burlybryan
QUOTE(dt4 @ Feb 20 2021, 10:14 AM) *

No, it spans across the indentation of the bumper. The middle is supported by a screw into the little sheetmetal bracket on the car. The license plate lights mounted in the bumper top illuminate the bumper below.
dt4
QUOTE(burlybryan @ Feb 20 2021, 04:17 PM) *

QUOTE(dt4 @ Feb 20 2021, 10:14 AM) *

No, it spans across the indentation of the bumper. The middle is supported by a screw into the little sheetmetal bracket on the car. The license plate lights mounted in the bumper top illuminate the bumper below.

am I mounting it incorrectly then?
if you look at the photos the rubber top is no where near the same shape as the steel bumper
Cairo94507
Here is how it should look on that bumper.
Click to view attachment
dt4
thanks for the photo
same colour car as well beerchug.gif
I'll take another look, I dont think I have the metal tab for the middle locating bolt
dt4
my number plate / license plate lights are the wrong shape also
JeffBowlsby
Your signature block indicates a 75 car, so if this is the same car the bumper has been backdated and you don’t have the chassis mounted bracket. Which also explains having the wrong license plate lights.

But the rubber trim should otherwise fit the bumper shape identically.
dt4
Yes, it’s backdated so that would stack up
Cairo94507
Nice looking car - I like the European emblem. beerchug.gif
dt4
I will make a bracket to fit to the bumper and the middle bolt on the rubber top to lift it up and remove the sag in the middle
Cairo94507
Very nice. beerchug.gif
dt4
Made a bracket and it fitted just fine
Thanks for the help
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.