Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust splatter is a sign of:
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flipb
I just fired up my 914 after about 8 weeks of sitting -- just to make sure the engine runs and the battery gets charged during the winter. Ran it for about 10 minutes at various RPM (up to about 3500).

The first few throttle blips produced a lot of spray from the tailpipes. Photos below (see next post too).

Is this a sign of:

A. Just moisture (maybe some oxidation mixed in) that had accumulated in the exhaust system from sitting for a while

B. Oil blow-by

C. Running too rich

D. Other

2056cc carbureted motor with 2.0 HEs
flipb
Click to view attachment
mgphoto
Valve guides, most probably. Oil mixing with moisture, check compression that would eliminate rings.
Rich mixture heavy smell of fuel.
Mark Henry
If the engine runs good it's likely just water and a bit of carbon.
forrestkhaag
I occasionally see this if started cold in the morning in the winter here where it gets down into the 60's on a cold January night before. The engine comes in hot, condensation forms in the muffler and the droplets collect exhaust carbon crumbs (from not leaning out the damned triple throat Webers correctly............. Not to worry I think..

Sidebar - not related: I just received my fully rebuilt 40IDA's from the Carb Guru in SoCal.....
all new everything including shafts, brass floats, and all the other innards.... no to the tuning bench and car..

beerchug.gif
PlaysWithCars
Normal. A byproduct of combustion is H2O. At start up the vapor condenses in the cold exhaust system and "spits" out like you're seeing. Once warm it will stay vapor all the way through. If you see videos of cars in traffic in a cold region you will see steam exiting the tail pipe as the vapor comes out the exhaust and condenses in the cold air.

Nothing to be concern with. Now, if you had a water pumper and saw this after everything was warm....
914_teener
Chemtrails......

Nothing to worry about.
JmuRiz
A:
My stuff does that too.
falcor75
Yup, condensation and soot. No big deal.
mlindner
Solution....don't let it sit for 8 weeks. smile.gif
Front yard mechanic
Just a bit of rust nothing to worry about
r_towle
A,C
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.