Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7 driver for sale on eBay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
pastormacman
UPDATED THE PRICE 4/25

For sale on eBay:
http://ebay.us/MfzbWU?cmpnId=5338273189

This 1973 Porsche 914 is in running condition and is tagged, insured, and street legal.

VIN# 4732917099

IPB Image

It has a rebuilt 1.7L engine with dual Weber 40s, carb cam, 009 distributor, electronic points, and new fuel pump and filters. Fuel tank has been removed and flushed with new fuel lines front and back. New brake lines all around, new 19mm brake master cylinder and new 195/50/15 tires. New battery, new ignition switch, new turn signal stalk, new relays, and a new engine wiring harness. Brand new CV joints on each side of the transaxle. Over $3500 of parts and labor have been put into this car in the last 18 months to make it drivable and street legal. The odometer says 30156, but is only five digits and I don’t know if it has rolled over at some point in it’s 47 years.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

View all photos on Flickr here

This is a wonderful car and runs pretty smoothly, and would be a great weekend car to drive to the park or take out on date night for someone who likes a car with a little patina and enjoys tinkering. Or it’s a great car to do a rebuild, as most major parts have been replaced already and you could put them right back on after body and paint was done. This is a strip down, a paint job, and a rebuild away from being a $20k 914. I just don’t have those resources or time anymore. I need to move on to my next stage of life that includes a reliable daily driver that can take me to work 30 miles each day.

I'll take cash, cashiers/certified check, Apple Pay, Pay Pal

I'll post a little history in the next comment if you want to read through that.
pastormacman
A little history…

I bought this car around 2002 to fix it up. It was drivable but lightly wrecked on the front right quarter (not salvaged). We straightened the front trunk area, replaced the hood and bumper, and cut off the front right fender and replaced it with a front quarter from a parts car (from door to bumper, including the headlight bucket) The car was originally red, the replacement front quarter was from a white car, and it was painted 2004 Ford Mustang yellow in 2004. It was my daily driver for about a year and a half.

In 2005 I purchased a new daily driver (Scion xB) and this car sat unused for a few months. During a short drive the engine slowly died on the road. It was determined that a field mouse had made a new home of dirt and leaves around one of my cylinders while it was siting and it overheated and seized up the first time I drove it. When we removed the engine, we discovered the block was cracked. I decided to replace the engine and change it over from fuel injection to carbs.

I purchased a rebuilt 1.7 engine from a 914 enthusiast I found on these forums who lived in the Los Angeles area who had rebuilt his wife’s engine for carbs but ended up putting in a 2.0L and had this rebuilt 1.7 engine to sell. He had an extra dual exhaust that he threw in as well. I bought a set of used, rebuilt webers and brought the engine and carbs to a friends shop where he would work on it periodically over a year or so. Unfortunately, while it was part way finished, one of his dogs chewed up and destroyed the engine wiring harness. At that point life just kind of happened for both of us and it sat at his garage, unfinished for over 10 years.

In 2017 I brought the car home, bought a new wiring harness and proceeded to finish the car to get it running. In that process, I was thwarted at each turn with new problems that kept the car from running and it sat on jack stands in my garage for another two years. But after installing the new wiring harness, flushing the fuel tank, replacing the ignition switch and fuel pump, it finally started last year.

So it’s a rebuilt engine with rebuilt weber carbs that have been sitting unused for over ten years. The engine oil still looks good. A VW friend of mine did the valve timing, and distributor timing and now it runs pretty smooth.

It has developed some surface rust under the paint on the hood and one of the lights, and there’s some bubbling under the paint at the lower corners of the front windshield. But the “hell hole” under the battery is clean and it still has the original battery tray in good condition. And the B-pillars are clear of rust as well. The worst rust area is the rear trunk which has some Swiss cheese spots. Plus I had to drill a few of my own holes back there in order to remove the welds that held the heat shield under the car so the aftermarket dual exhaust would fit. (The original exhaust, along with the original fuel injection parts and brain were lost at my friends garage over those ten years).

The interior was tore up when I got it and I covered the front seats with my best attempt at doing my own upholstery 15 years ago. I have since removed my old work so you could see the original upholstery. The drivers seat back and sides are pretty bad, but the drivers cushion is nice. Most of the back panel and center cushion are cracked, as is the dash. But it has the original carpet, pedal board, and carpeted open center console (not shown). The doors and door panels were cutout for speakers before I got it. I had an aftermarket stereo and speakers in there at one time but they are long since removed. The parking brake handle lifts up and down, but the brakes don’t seem to engage. The heat exchangers under the car are in good condition, but the ducting to feed the interior heating vents is gone. And I have no idea if the fan works or any of the levers on the dash.

The turn signal stalk is brand new and the turn signals and hazard lights work. The headlight motors work great but the headlights only light up when high brights are selected. And the windshield wipers are new, but the windshield wiper motor is very slow and the wipers barely move. The speedometer recently began to make a loud wirring noise above 30mph so I disconnected the cable. I discovered that a previous owner had simply used a hose clamp to tighten down the speedometer cable to the back of the gauge after the locking nut had cracked and broken.

Also included, but not pictured is the front valance, the open center console, and the water catch for the engine lid (a couple of the attachment points have broken off so it's not installed)

I’ve always loved the 914 and have owned two of them in my life (my dad also owned two different ones as well) I owned a ’71 before this and my dad had a ’74 and ’75 over the years. I consider the 914 to be one of the greatest Porsches of all time. It’s small, nimble, fun, and looks amazing. I know that I will probably never have another chance to own one as their value keeps going up. But at this time, it just no longer fits in my life and I hope it can be a blessing to a new owner.

On the Flickr page I included a few pics of what the car looked like when I got it before I replaced the right front quarter and had it painted. These are the pics of the car when it was red with the grey hood, before we replaced the right front quarter and painted it yellow.
PaulFV8
Scott, is it reliable enough to drive to San Diego ? I have a 6 engine being built there and I’m looking for a clean tub for. 6 clone

Thanks and stay safe
pastormacman
QUOTE(PaulFV8 @ Feb 21 2021, 04:31 AM) *

Scott, is it reliable enough to drive to San Diego ? I have a 6 engine being built there and I’m looking for a clean tub for. 6 clone

Thanks and stay safe

I drove it around town today and yesterday and it seems to be handling great. I've never taken it on a long road trip before, even when I was driving it years ago, but I might be wiling to try if you are serious about buying it. I wouldn't want to drive it 4 hours and through LA traffic only to have to drive it back. I don't really think anything will go wrong with it mechanically, but it's just not a great car to drive several hours in traffic.
pastormacman
BUMP and price lowered.

$7500 OBO
flat4guy
Is there a link to the flikr page?
pastormacman
QUOTE(flat4guy @ Feb 28 2021, 07:48 PM) *

Is there a link to the flikr page?

I put it in the original post (under the last pic of the interior) but here it is again:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/192214386@N03/

pastormacman
Bump, price drop and updated condition.

I was driving this short distances every weekend just to keep it up. A few weekends ago I lost 4th & 5th gear while driving. I took the center carpet out and made some adjustments to the shifter and was able to get it to get into 4th & 5th with a bit of finagling but I’ve decided not to continue driving it as it appears that there may be an issue with the shift bushings and I don’t want to make it worse. But I will keep starting it each week to keep it running.

I’ve lowered the price to sell it as it is but am looking into the costs of repair. It being in a condition that prevents it from being taken on a proper test drive means that I’ll probably have to make the repair in order to sell it to anyone except to someone who is familiar with these issues and is willing to work with it. My lack of ability to get it high enough off the ground to work on it myself means I will probably have to take it to a professional, but after that I may have the raise the price again to cover the repair. If you were waiting for the time to make an offer, I’m weak. After I make the repair I’ll be a little more firm on the price as it will have sucked more money out of me and away from the car I’m saving up for.
PaulFV8
Is the price now $7000?
pastormacman
Getting desperate to sell. I just listed it on eBay motors. Make a bid and it's yours.

http://ebay.us/MfzbWU?cmpnId=5338273189

pastormacman
One update to condition from previous. Car pops out of first gear, have to start in second gear.
BENBRO02
QUOTE(pastormacman @ Aug 21 2021, 01:08 PM) *

One update to condition from previous. Car pops out of first gear, have to start in second gear.

I had the same problem and thought I needed to rebuild the transmission but it ended up being maladjusted shift linkage.
pastormacman
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Aug 22 2021, 09:31 AM) *

QUOTE(pastormacman @ Aug 21 2021, 01:08 PM) *

I had the same problem and thought I needed to rebuild the transmission but it ended up being maladjusted shift linkage.

I was actually driving the car to my mechanic to fix the shift linkage and bushings when the problem first showed up. I thought that them fixing the linkage might fix it as well, but he let me know that it was something with the transaxle itself. I researched it and found that it does seem to be a common problem that develops over the years. The solution is to pop open the back of the transaxle and replace the first gear parts. Not too difficult of a job if you have the right facilities (lift, proper tools) which I don’t.
Tdskip
I fixed mine by replacing the first gear cluster, not that hard but I have access to a lift. You obviously need to track down a know to be good cluster.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.