Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 Porsche 914 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stickyfingers
Hi all, I just received my '73 914 1.7. I'm trying to determine what the (G) light means on the attached gauge. If someone can provide some insight that would fantastic.

Also, does anyone know how to get the heat/cool working? Is there something I'm missing?

Finally, what do these 2 switches do?

Thank you kindly. Sorry I'm a noob with this classic.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Bleyseng
The ā€œGā€ is for the generator (altenator) which means that either the key is on or if the engine is running the belt is off or a dead alt or regulator. Those 2 switches could be seat heaters confused24.gif
To turn the heat on pull the red knob by the shifter back towards the rear of the car. The red knob on the dash to the right for defrost
stickyfingers
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Feb 21 2021, 11:40 AM) *

The ā€œGā€ is for the generator (altenator) which means that either the key is on or if the engine is running the belt is off or a dead alt or regulator. Those 2 switches could be seat heaters confused24.gif
To turn the heat on pull the red knob by the shifter back towards the rear of the car. The red knob on the dash to the right for defrost

Thank you good sir. Hmm, have to figure out why that light is on - hopefully the alternator is ok. The car runs well.
Shivers
If you can borrow a volt /ohm meter, I'm sure you tube has check alternator tutorials
stickyfingers
QUOTE(Shivers @ Feb 21 2021, 12:42 PM) *

If you can borrow a volt /ohm meter, I'm sure you tube has check alternator tutorials

I'll check it out. Thank you!
Jett
IIRC those two switches were for power windows smile.gif
Racer
The switches are not OEM/Factory. Someone has added something.. could be heaters, or power windows, or even ejector seats!

Sometimes, at low idle, the G light can come on. Check belt tension. If it comes on under use, then looks for electrical issues or failing alternator / Voltage regulator.
914Sixer
You have an AMCO center console and a 72 heater lever. Switches unknown.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.