Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Value of a Running 2L Engine?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GregAmy
Coulda SWORN I saw a thread on this recently, but my Google-Fu isn't helping me...

I'm pulling out a running 2L (GA) engine this weekend, in anticipation of a FAT-built 2056 arriving by truck later this week.

I have no history on this engine other than my ownership, only its S/N. Don't even know if it's the original engine. I know it runs, as I've been driving it for several years. I've seen eivdence to indicate it has been rebuilt in its past (balancing marks, missing clips and stuff) but no clue about what's inside. It was running on D-Jet when I got it, so I'm presuming it still has the D-Jet camshaft. It has been running pretty decently, thought it tends to run on the high side for oil temperature.

I'm debating if I want to sell this engine, or find a place to store it to have it available in the future (though I can't see going through this again in my lifetime.) I also have a 2L race car but I'm not seeing a real problem getting parts if I have to rebuild either one (like the crankshaft I broke on the race car in 2019).

If this thing is worth some spending money, I'll sell it. If not, I'll find a hole somewhere to let it gather dust.

Thoughts?

GA

Click to view attachment
JOEPROPER
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Feb 21 2021, 02:48 PM) *

Coulda SWORN I saw a thread on this recently, but my Google-Fu isn't helping me...

I'm pulling out a running 2L (GA) engine this weekend, in anticipation of a FAT-built 2056 arriving by truck later this week.

I have no history on this engine other than my ownership, only its S/N. Don't even know if it's the original engine. I know it runs, as I've been driving it for several years. I've seen eivdence to indicate it has been rebuilt in its past (balancing marks, missing clips and stuff) but no clue about what's inside. It was running on D-Jet when I got it, so I'm presuming it still has the D-Jet camshaft. It has been running pretty decently, thought it tends to run on the high side for oil temperature.

I'm debating if I want to sell this engine, or find a place to store it to have it available in the future (though I can't see going through this again in my lifetime.) I also have a 2L race car but I'm not seeing a real problem getting parts if I have to rebuild either one (like the crankshaft I broke on the race car in 2019).

If this thing is worth some spending money, I'll sell it. If not, I'll find a hole somewhere to let it gather dust.

Thoughts?

GA

Click to view attachment

I remember a recent add like this too... I think it brought decent $$. Not easy to find a good 2.0L to just swap in and go... I have one too that I was going to do a video add for probably this summer. Mine is still in the car thats getting a 6 conversion. Good luck.
mepstein
Off the top of my head, I'd say $3K +/-
Core 2.0 engines are bringing a grand.
A complete 2.0 injection is probably worth a grand
Running means it's plug and play and easily worth a grand

Plus it's probably been well maintained. Not just pulled out of a car that's been sitting for 20 years and made running with starter fluid.

beerchug.gif
sfrenck
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 21 2021, 03:51 PM) *

Off the top of my head, I'd say $3K +/-
Core 2.0 engines are bringing a grand.
A complete 2.0 injection is probably worth a grand
Running means it's plug and play and easily worth a grand

Plus it's probably been well maintained. Not just pulled out of a car that's been sitting for 20 years and made running with starter fluid.

beerchug.gif

agree.gif Especially if the leak down numbers are good.
GregAmy
Wow. Yeah at that price I'd let it go versus letting it sit.

But, in my case, it's just a long block, since I sold off the D-Jet stuff last winter when I went Microsquirt.

Given I don't know the underlying history of this engine so I'd represent it as a core to be rebuilt, just to ensure a buyer's expection are reasonable. But at least a buyer would have confidence it runs without banging noises. I shoulda recorded driving it into the garage yesterday...lol
mepstein
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Feb 21 2021, 04:14 PM) *

Wow. Yeah at that price I'd let it go versus letting it sit.

But, in my case, it's just a long block, since I sold off the D-Jet stuff last winter when I went Microsquirt.

Given I don't know the underlying history of this engine so I'd represent it as a core to be rebuilt, just to ensure a buyer's expection are reasonable. But at least a buyer would have confidence it runs without banging noises. I shoulda recorded driving it into the garage yesterday...lol

I didn't read carefully enough that it was on d-jet but not anymore. Still should bring decent money of cores are getting a grand. Especially, as Scott says, if the numbers are good.
justme
Hi Greg,

emailed you
adolimpio
See My classified

Had 3 serious buyers in 3 hours, 2 committed to buy. I have a deposit but weather has prevented the buyer from picking it up.

I'm convinced I left a fair amount of money on the table at $3,200. Probably could have gotten $500 more easily. Note that it did not include MPS or injectors.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.