Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Lid bracket advise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanpaulmc
Seeking advice from the World...

Newbie questions coming up.

Weld up these existing Engine Lid Brackets or just replace with new from RD?
Is there guidance on repositioning them if replacing?

Driver's side -

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Passenger's side -
Someone has been here before.
It doesn't look level and my guess is that it will need to be cut and repositioned.

Click to view attachment

My car is far from an 'as-shipped' condition after 50 years and who knows how many DAPO's. it's rough to say the least. Furthermore, there are few, if any, cars around my area to go look at to get an answer.

I assume the hinges coming off of the engine lid mount on the underside of these fixed angle brackets welded to the firewall and not to the top portion where the welded nut is. When I took the engine lid off they were sitting on top of these brackets and that seems incorrect to me with the shape of the design. Would someone confirm this for me?

Thanks in advance!
Sean
tygaboy
The lid mounts to the underside of those brackets, as you suspected.

I just did this very same repair on @buddyV Robert's car. It was a bit awkward as I ended up standing on the passenger seat, hanging over into the engine compartment to TIG those cracks closed.

If it were me, I'd just bend them back into position and weld them up. That's faster/easier as you don't have to pull the interior out and spot/plug weld on the fire wall. But that's me.

Also, cut slots in the hinges on the engine lid so you can just loosen the bolts and slide the lid off. WAAAAAAAY easier to remove/install the lid. It makes it a simple one person job.

Hope this helps.
Mikey914
Weld up as you will not to have a worry about positioning correctly
seanpaulmc
Ok. Thanks for the replies and advise.
dangrouche
I had a similar break at that angle bracket; I ground and welded, but it fatigued, so on the second time around, I added a small triangle piece of metal to the left and right sides of the angle bracket. tiny Gussets were the key, tiny as they might be you have to be careful on the size as the lid needs clearance in the area to pivot. let me find a picture..
seanpaulmc
I’ve been thinking about the same - how to do a reinforcement.
Would love to see some pictures.

Thanks

QUOTE(dangrouche @ Feb 22 2021, 09:14 PM) *

I had a similar break at that angle bracket; I ground and welded, but it fatigued, so on the second time around, I added a small triangle piece of metal to the left and right sides of the angle bracket. tiny Gussets were the key, tiny as they might be you have to be careful on the size as the lid needs clearance in the area to pivot. let me find a picture..

seanpaulmc
With the advise given I proceeded with welding it up as-is. I did have to chase the cracks so it has some weld globs, but it is strong.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Still needs primer and paint but I'm happy with the outcome.

If anyone has pictures of how to reinforce these brackets, then please post them. Thanks!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.