Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Filter Removal Tool
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
9ONE4_JIM
Hi Members. Apologies for my very first post being a Porsche "Newbie" one, but I had a bear of a time yesterday trying to remove the oil filter on my just-acquired '73 914 2.0.

My trusty clamp style removal tool wouldn't expand wide enough to grab the old, in-place filter.The OD of original filter case is about 4" (101.6 mm) Side handle tools just would not fit in the limited space as well.

After a good hour I did manage to finally get it out! I did the oil sump/strainer clean-up and regasketing as well – which also required some patience and coaxing.

So my question is, is there a recommended wrench, socket or clamp tool for the oil filter removal?

Thanks in-advance for your help.
Jim
ndfrigi
no special tool and does not need to tight. Especially for the strainer bolt, don’t over tighten it or else you will end up opening the engine case.
ClayPerrine
I just use a pair of humongous channel locks.

happy11.gif
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(9ONE4_JIM @ Feb 22 2021, 05:30 PM) *

Hi Members. Apologies for my very first post being a Porsche "Newbie" one, but I had a bear of a time yesterday trying to remove the oil filter on my just-acquired '73 914 2.0.

My trusty clamp style removal tool wouldn't expand wide enough to grab the old, in-place filter.The OD of original filter case is about 4" (101.6 mm) Side handle tools just would not fit in the limited space as well.

After a good hour I did manage to finally get it out! I did the oil sump/strainer clean-up and regasketing as well – which also required some patience and coaxing.

So my question is, is there a recommended wrench, socket or clamp tool for the oil filter removal?

Thanks in-advance for your help.
Jim

Just use an oil filter end cap wrench like this one.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7769123?...gKTivD_BwE&
914_7T3
I thought it was hand tighten and remove as same.

confused24.gif
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 22 2021, 05:52 PM) *

happy11.gif

I second the motion. agree.gif
iankarr
I like these...one tool, many cars...

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-03421A-Auto-Ad...4678&sr=8-2
Mark Henry
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Feb 22 2021, 11:22 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 22 2021, 05:52 PM) *

happy11.gif

I second the motion. agree.gif

3rd agree.gif
roblav1
You can always hammer a screwdriver right through the thing and twist. Makes nice puddles on the pavement and turns shirts into new rags!
Mark Henry
QUOTE(roblav1 @ Feb 23 2021, 01:23 PM) *

You can always hammer a screwdriver right through the thing and twist. Makes nice puddles on the pavement and turns shirts into new rags!

BTDT it wasn't pretty.
9ONE4_JIM
Thanks for all the suggestions and specific ideas to remove the oil filter.

So yes, these are supposed to be just hand tightened but rarely will you be able to simply twist oil filters off by hand (speaking generically).

And yes, on some clunkers I've owned I've used the 'stab it with a screwdriver' technique! Not for this 914 though.

The "End Cap" tool seems the easiest but I'm having trouble finding one wide-enough to fit. (Filter OD by the flutes is approximately 4" or 101.6 mm)

The universal, expandable clamp style seems to be the way to go here – be it a two-clamp or three-clamp style – as long as it opens wide enough. Thanks Ian Karr.

And thanks for the idea of a simply using a humongous channel lock tool or vice grip.

BTW: I did watch Ian Karr's great oil change video before attempting my first 914 oil change. Excellent guidance!
jd74914
QUOTE(iankarr @ Feb 22 2021, 11:32 PM) *

agree.gif Those are great, especially on newer cars with filters way up above driveline shields.
914forme
I have used this one since the 80s, works on 99% of my older car filters, and not odd clearance issues.

New stuff has all sort of tools from 34mm sockets, to fitted cup wrenches because of the plastic filter housings used by multiple OEMs since the early 2000s. This has made the Lisle tool be used less and less.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(9ONE4_JIM @ Feb 24 2021, 12:14 PM) *

And thanks for the idea of a simply using a humongous channel lock tool or vice grip.

Giant Channel Lock Pliers
JamesM
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Feb 22 2021, 09:17 PM) *

I thought it was hand tighten and remove as same.

confused24.gif

That is usually what i do. confused24.gif

It is a lot easier to get your hands on it with headers or at least the heater branch pipe removed.

If you find your grip inadequate then some sort of strap wrench can help
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.