Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electrical Challenges
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stickyfingers
Hi guys. 1 more thing to run by everyone. Can someone identify the following wires? What do they do? They are just sitting exposed.

The black wire comes from the left side of the rear lights (when you are looking from the back of the car). The other white/red wire is from the right side.

I am trying to fix another issue. One of the license plate lights is not working. The other one is fine. I've checked with the voltmeter and there is no juice coming to the light. I even inserted a new bulb just to be sure.

I guess I need to have a beer and start tracing the wires back to see but hoping someone has seen this issue before.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Thank you!
Tom_T
Look at the link I gave you to Jeff Bowlsby's 914 wiring harness website on your knob post - he has wiring diagrams linked at the bottom.

The trunk one looks like it may be added in by a PO - & maybe for a rear trunk remote release used when they add a center reflector between the taillights.

The cabin one may be for an additional speaker, but that's just a SWAG based on being by the speaker.

I just saw that they're both in the rear trunk - so my guess is trunk lock solenoid or maybe a 3rd brake light, or rear fog light, or ???? confused24.gif

You'll need to trace them both back to the splices to see what they're hooked up with, then figure out what add-on use may apply.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
stickyfingers
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 25 2021, 04:02 PM) *

Look at the link I gave you to Jeff Bowlsby's 914 wiring harness website on your knob post - he has wiring diagrams linked at the bottom.

The trunk one looks like it may be added in by a PO - & maybe for a rear trunk remote release used when they add a center reflector between the taillights.

The cabin one may be for an additional speaker, but that's just a SWAG based on being by the speaker.

I just saw that they're both in the rear trunk - so my guess is trunk lock solenoid or maybe a 3rd brake light, or rear fog light, or ???? confused24.gif

You'll need to trace them both back to the splices to see what they're hooked up with, then figure out what add-on use may apply.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Thanks Tom. The red/white wire has 12v coming to it. The black wire does not have any voltage so it may be a ground wire or something. You could be right that the PO ma have used it for something.

As for the license plate lights I figured it out. The PO had the wires all wrong. Corrected them and both lights are operational now. Last thing to figure out is the (G) Generator light on the dash. Ordered a new voltage regulator so hopefully that fixes it but going to take this to a mechanic to get it safety'd and maybe he can run some diagnostics on it to make sure the alternator is fine. Fingers crossed.

Thank you for your help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.