Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wanted To Borrow: Rear Sway Bar Setup
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
I'd like to do some testing now that I have an LSD and ridiculous spring rates with a rear bar. Does anyone have one I could borrow? Happy to put new bushings in/on it and a good beer or 6. I'd need everything as I sold mine off ages ago.

Happy to discuss trades for parts or setup help too in the event you would want to sell one.

Thanks.

-Aaron
Montreal914
Hey Aaron, mine is off my car at the moment since I am preparing my car for paint. Thinking about using Denis too.

I could lend it to you. Do you have the shock bolts?

I could probably meet you in Pasadena as I go on lab ~twice per week.
yeahmag
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Feb 25 2021, 06:08 PM) *

Hey Aaron, mine is off my car at the moment since I am preparing my car for paint. Thinking about using Denis too.

I could lend it to you. Do you have the shock bolts?

I could probably meet you in Pasadena as I go on lab ~twice per week.

That would be amazing! I do not have the shock bolts.
Montreal914
I will pm you beerchug.gif
infraredcalvin
Let me know, I have 2 that aren’t going on cars anytime soon, so you’re welcome to one for any extended period. As for rear springs, using coil overs? I’ve got several sets from 200-400+ lbs, again on the shelf you’re welcome to use/swap around for testing.
yeahmag
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Feb 25 2021, 09:03 PM) *

Let me know, I have 2 that aren’t going on cars anytime soon, so you’re welcome to one for any extended period. As for rear springs, using coil overs? I’ve got several sets from 200-400+ lbs, again on the shelf you’re welcome to use/swap around for testing.

Thanks! I’m at 550 and looks like I’m going up again. Want to try a bar first...
914andy
Not doubting you at all just trying to learn
I have to ask.... what do you have in the back? a big block?
What size bars do you have in the front?

Andy
PlaysWithCars
QUOTE(914andy @ Feb 25 2021, 09:49 PM) *

Not doubting you at all just trying to learn
I have to ask.... what do you have in the back? a big block?
What size bars do you have in the front?
agree.gif

Curious minds want to know. I thought I was pretty stiff at 375lb rear springs and don't think I can go stiffer and keep the balance with the largest available torsion bars and sway bar that I have on the front. Do you have coil overs up front? Only way I can see you making this work.
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Feb 25 2021, 09:05 PM) *

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Feb 25 2021, 09:03 PM) *

Thanks! I’m at 550 and looks like I’m going up again. Want to try a bar first...

Wow 550! Im surprised your chassis isn’t tearing apart! I’ll let you know if I’ve got any higher on the shelf just in case. Let me know about the rear bar, might be easier than trying to work in between someone’s paint/assembly schedule...
Tdskip
I have one you can borrow if nothing else shows up.
yeahmag
Thanks for all the support guys!

As far as the spring rate, the problem is the quick transitions and the Hoosier A7's. The Hoosiers produce a ton of grip. I'm seeing over 1.5G and climbing as I tame the rear. I'm using tattletales on the shocks to see how far I'm moving the shocks. Even with the 550's they are stuffed all the way in the top hats. A small bar may be just enough to limit that and give some better feel between the front and rear. As the spring rate comes up, they feel more connected, but I think there's more to be gained. I think with road race I'd probably be down around 450-500 as the transitions aren't as violent. I do have large torsion bars and a fairly large front sway bar. The car runs a all Rebel Racing bushings and is aggressively set up. I believe running the car as low as I do, which is necessary to get rear camber, screws with the roll center, so I need more spring to combat that.

As far as tearing the chassis apart, it's got the Mad Dog Motorsport inner long kit and the inner ear is scabbed with Tangerine Racings kit and seam welded. I have come to believe a lot of the rear shock tower failures we see are aggravated by the cars bottoming out on the shock. So far, so good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.