Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil tank connections for a 2.4 /6 conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
From the research and discussions here (thank you) it looks like a 2.4L does not need a front mounted oil tank cooler, which should simplify then oil tank plumbing since I don’t need to to run front lines. That also means I can simplify by not needing a thermostat as well I would suppose.

So with this set up it would be basically be lines to/from the engine to the oil tank and that is it, correct?

Thanks!
Luke M
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Feb 27 2021, 06:49 AM) *

From the research and discussions here (thank you) it looks like a 2.4L does not need a front mounted oil tank, which should simplify then oil tank plumbing since I don’t need to to run front lines. That also means I can simplify but not needing a thermostat as well I would suppose.

So with this set up it would be basically be lines to/from the engine to the oil tank and that is it, correct?

Thanks!

You say oil tank up front.. Do you mean oil cooler?
With a 2.4 you can get away with just running a factory setup.
If you have a stock oil tank (or aftermarket) in the factory 6 location then all you need is to run oil lines from and to the engine. No need for a t stat. Simple as you can get. Ben has most if not all the parts that you may need.
Tdskip
Oops -yes, front oil cooler Luke. Sorry, need more coffee.
mepstein
Yea, all stock setup.
Tdskip
Thanks @mepstein
Mark Henry
SoCal, hot summer days, heavy stop and go freeway traffic then you might still want a cooler.
If you can keep the car moving then you might be okay.

Another cooler solution is a modified RX7 (or MB) cooler in the engine decklid.
Tdskip
I was wondering about that, and I have seen some very nicely down under the rear trunk coolers too.

I’m (obviously) a 911 oil system newbie and still working it all out. I know having a provision to easily drain the oil is a good idea, not sure about putting a provision for a thermostat in the loop now makes sense as a hedge against future needs.
mepstein
I would get everything running really well before you do a front cooler. Some engines run hotter than others and sometimes it’s other reasons (ask Ben/mb911). Hint - an engine side sound pad restricted air flow. If the engine runs hot, then add a cooler.

On my 3.2 conversion, I removed the engine side oil cooler so I’m locked into front cooling.
Superhawk996
Agree that 2.4L is the sweet spot without need for external oil cooler unless you build to S-Spec IIRC S did run an external cooler up in front wheel house.

This is a huge chunk of the decision I made to stay period correct with a 2.4L. Straight forward and easy. No cooler. Doesn't over tax the 901 trans.

Even the early 2.7L cooler was nothing more than a simple trombone cooler.

Most of the cooling on that early 2.7 setup is done just running the oil to and from the trombone. You could get substantial cooling just by running aluminum hard lines though the driver side longitudinal triangle gussets where the /4 evaporative emission lines run. Probably wouldn't even need to enter the wheel well if you put a few inconspicous louvers in the external rocker panel to move a little air though it.
Tdskip
Thanks for the helpful responses gentlemen, will run it as-is and see where that gets me first.
ClayPerrine
I had a 2.4 ST with MFI in my car. It would get too hot during a Texas summer, so I put a Carrera cooler in the right rear corner of the car. I mounted vertically it between the pinch weld and the trans mount. With the Bursch 911 MFI muffler, it had no clearance issues. And it dropped the oil temp substantially.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.