Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about fuel level sensor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
maj75
Just removed the fuel level sensor from the gas tank I just bought. When I removed it, the outer metal housing slid off the sensor assembly and the bottom plastic cap fell off. It is extremely clean. I was able to carefully peen the tube and bottom cap together, but I’m wondering if the tube is supposed to be secured at the top where it attaches to the level sensor.

If it is supposed to be tightly secured to the level sensor, what would be the best way? JB weld? It doesn’t seem like I can peen the tube, but it is a possibility.

Thanks
fixer34
QUOTE(maj75 @ Feb 28 2021, 10:08 AM) *

Just removed the fuel level sensor from the gas tank I just bought. When I removed it, the outer metal housing slid off the sensor assembly and the bottom plastic cap fell off. It is extremely clean. I was able to carefully peen the tube and bottom cap together, but I’m wondering if the tube is supposed to be secured at the top where it attaches to the level sensor.

If it is supposed to be tightly secured to the level sensor, what would be the best way? JB weld? It doesn’t seem like I can peen the tube, but it is a possibility.

Thanks

Been a little while since I had mine out, but if I recall, the aluminum housing/tube that covers the sensor is held on by a small nut at the very bottom of the assembly. It just fits snugly at the top. Maybe shake the tank and see if you hear something rattle, the nut may have loosened and come off.
maj75
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Feb 28 2021, 11:48 AM) *

Thanks

Been a little while since I had mine out, but if I recall, the aluminum housing/tube that covers the sensor is held on by a small nut at the very bottom of the assembly. It just fits snugly at the top. Maybe shake the tank and see if you hear something rattle, the nut may have loosened and come off.

You are right. There is a threaded stud that goes through the cap in the bottom. Guess I’ll have to rattle the tank around some more.
Thanks!
Spoke
The nut is tiny so lay out a bed sheet or other to make sure you don't lose it.
fixer34
QUOTE(maj75 @ Feb 28 2021, 01:39 PM) *

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Feb 28 2021, 11:48 AM) *

Thanks

You are right. There is a threaded stud that goes through the cap in the bottom. Guess I’ll have to rattle the tank around some more.
Thanks!

And in the 'ask me how I know..' category, since you have the assembly out and the cover off, check the float/slide movement and the resistance wires. There is at least one other thread on here that gives resistance measurements. Also, make sure the 'low fuel' contact at the bottom that turns on the gauge light is working. That is your last line of defense from running out of gas. When that light comes on, no matter what the gauge says, head to the gas station. Again, AMHIK...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.