Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seat Belt Recoilers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ctc911ctc
All,

I rebuilt the '74 2.0 over the past few years and did not do anything with the seatbelts...........I tried and the coils jumped out - took me a day to get that back together......

The seatbelts do not recoil properly nor are they easy to pull into place.....draggy and catching.......

Is there a thread in the forum with a solution to this aggravation?

Thank you Teeners!

CTC911CTC
flag.gif
driving.gif
GregAmy
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Mar 3 2021, 09:27 AM) *
Is there...a solution to this aggravation?

Yup:

https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/ag-1781689.1...orsche-914.html
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Mar 3 2021, 08:34 AM) *

Yup:

agree.gif

I bought a brand new set of seat belts from them. I have one installed in my car. Love it. It works great, and I am not depending on a 50 year old seat belt to keep me in the car in the even of an accident.

Or you can get a set of new belts for a 944. They are the same assemblies as a 914, and will bolt in. The only mod is you have to make the hole for the pin bigger.

Clay
jaredmcginness
I temporarily un stuck (and cleaned) both belts by soaking them in hot soapy water. Placed in a home depot bucket or similar.

Work well and the smelled much better.

I say temporarily because I switched to 944 belts a week later.

Edit: I suppose the soapy fix only helps if they are gummed from dried up grease. Not a recoil issue.
dcheek
I sent a passenger side seat belt to this company. The previous owner tried to fix and gave up and left a box of parts.

I sent it to Safety Restore and the turned it around in one day! Works perfectly.

https://www.safetyrestore.com/content/81-se...ASAAEgJRIPD_BwE

Dave
Jamie
QUOTE(jaredmcginness @ Mar 3 2021, 08:33 AM) *

I temporarily un stuck (and cleaned) both belts by soaking them in hot soapy water. Placed in a home depot bucket or similar.

Work well and the smelled much better.

Edit: I suppose the soapy fix only helps if they are gummed from dried up grease. Not a recoil issue.

So what is a ballpark price for the 944 belts, I assume sourced from a dealer? confused24.gif
DavidSweden

Are the 944 belts plug and play?

jaredmcginness
QUOTE(Jamie @ Mar 3 2021, 01:16 PM) *

So what is a ballpark price for the 944 belts, I assume sourced from a dealer? confused24.gif

I bought my belts on Ebay for $48 shipped. Great condition. I've actually never bought anything from a dealer.

QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Mar 3 2021, 02:47 PM) *

More or less, as someone said above, if you are mounting the retractors on the B pillar you need to drill an extra hole. I believe there are a few DIYs.
I mounted my retractors on the longitudinal, so I wouldn't lose any rear window. Some guys may not go that route though.

Jared
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Mar 3 2021, 01:47 PM) *

The only difference is the size of the locating pin on the back of the retractor. The 944 belts have a slightly larger pin. Just drill out the hole to enlarge it to accept the 944 retractor. The rest is plug and play.

Clay
DavidSweden
Stupid question perhaps....does the 944 belt buckle fit the 914 floor seat belt receptor
marked in yellow?

Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(DavidSweden @ Mar 3 2021, 03:39 PM) *

Stupid question perhaps....does the 944 belt buckle fit the 914 floor seat belt receptor
marked in yellow?

Click to view attachment

Yes. It is the identical part as the 914 seat belt. Porsche reused the 914 belts on the 924, which later became the 944. The only difference, like I said, was the pin size on the retractor.

Clay
Morph914
Here’s mine soaking in bucket, I left them in overnight and agitated them several times. The water was black, so I changed out with fresh water to do a final rinse and then hung them up for a day to air dry.
They seem to work much better. I believe a clean belt has less friction so it retracts better. I have not installed them yet, so that will be the true test.

Cheers,
John

Click to view attachment

Also did some maintenance on the receivers.

Click to view attachment
FlacaProductions
While you have them extended, hold the axle while you push the belt back thru. slide out the retaining pin from the pocket sewn in the belt and then remove the belt pulling it back through.

Don't let go of the axle or it'll spin to full-loose. I use a small screwdriver thru the slot where the belt goes to keep it from getting away.

Then just add more tension by spinning the axle against the tension for as far as you can - re-thread the belt and install the pin. that should really help the retraction tension.
jcschuf1
My car is in storage right now, so I can't check, but don't the belts have a switch for a light on the dash? If so, do the belts from seat belt planet have the same switch? The pics on their site don't seem show a switch.
Olympic 914
Or you could just do this...

Have them and they work perfectly. and look good.

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Mar 3 2021, 09:34 AM) *

Yup:

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.