Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Restoring the Front Cross-member & A-arms
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
Hey guys, I'm restoring the front suspension's cross-member and A-arm and have it broken down, and the old rubber bushings removed. Couple questions though... there are metal cylinder shaped sleeves w/a lip at each end of the cross member that fit snuggly inside large tubes on the ends. These sleeves are complete separate from the cross member or the a-arms - they seem pressed into the cross-member, but can be removed with some effort (Hammer, Pry, etc).

My question is: can they just be left in and painted with the entire cross-member (most of it would receive no paint obviously)? My concern is that painting them would make it harder to re-install and would most likely just get scraped off during re-installation any way.

Also - on the A-arms, my assumption is that the end sections (that fits into rubber bushings) do not get painted - correct or not? Thanks.

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Mar 3 2021, 02:26 PM) *

Hey guys, I'm restoring the front suspension's cross-member and A-arm and have it broken down, and the old rubber bushings removed. Couple questions though... there are metal cylinder shaped sleeves w/a lip at each end of the cross member that fit snuggly inside large tubes on the ends. These sleeves are complete separate from the cross member or the a-arms - they seem pressed into the cross-member, but can be removed with some effort (Hammer, Pry, etc).

My question is: can they just be left in and painted with the entire cross-member (most of it would receive no paint obviously)? My concern is that painting them would make it harder to re-install and would most likely just get scraped off during re-installation any way.

Also - on the A-arms, my assumption is that the end sections (that fits into rubber bushings) do not get painted - correct or not? Thanks.

A picture would help.....

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Literati914
In the pic below, where the screw-driver is pointing... it will come out with a little persuasion, but is it necessary? ..and if so, should I bother to paint the main body of this sleeve?

IPB Image
BK911
I think that sleeve is part of the old bushing.
Mikey914
Might look familiar as well as the how to -
Thanks @iankarr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AysZlHr2lM
Literati914
Ok, thanks for the video, super helpful!

So, yes it needs to come out and it does get completely painted, as do the ends of the A-arms.

Ian's video didn't include installing the A-arms back into the CrossMember (I'll go see if there's a video covering that idea.gif ), probably not usually an issue (mine are really TIGHT though).

Thanks Guys!

bdstone914
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Mar 3 2021, 04:51 PM) *

So, yes it needs to come out and it does get completely painted, as do the ends of the A-arms.

Ian's video didn't include installing the A-arms back into the CrossMember (I'll go see if there's a video covering that idea.gif ), probably not usually an issue (mine are really TIGHT though).

Thanks Guys!

It is a tight fit into the cross member. I zinc plate them as they did on 911's. Powder coating can bee too thick. You may need to spread to opening as the bolt thst attaches the cross member to the body pinches it. Note the orientation with the big end of the loop up and towards the outside of the car. You will need to know that when you install the bushings.
Literati914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 3 2021, 05:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Mar 3 2021, 04:51 PM) *

Thanks Guys!

It is a tight fit into the cross member. I zinc plate them as they did on 911's. Powder coating can bee too thick. You may need to spread to opening as the bolt thst attaches the cross member to the body pinches it. Note the orientation with the big end of the loop up and towards the outside of the car. You will need to know that when you install the bushings.

All good points Bruce, I will definitely try spreading the opening, now that you mention it - honestly didn't even occur to me.

iankarr
Will be shooting the A arm installation on the bumblebee soon smile.gif. I was in a rush to get the green car on the road so...
gord
QUOTE(iankarr @ Mar 3 2021, 08:51 PM) *

Will be shooting the A arm installation on the bumblebee soon smile.gif. I was in a rush to get the green car on the road so...

I'm about to go through this, so looking for any guidance.
@iankarr , did you ever shoot this video?

rhodyguy
ZERO Rust paint, loaded in a aerosol can, is a good rust inhibitor and wears like iron. I used it when I did my front suspension. Easy touch up, unlike PCing.
iankarr
QUOTE(gord @ Sep 18 2021, 10:21 AM) *

QUOTE(iankarr @ Mar 3 2021, 08:51 PM) *

I'm about to go through this, so looking for any guidance.
@iankarr , did you ever shoot this video?

I did! Editing is unfortunately another story. Should be done in a few weeks smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.