Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lowered 914's How low can you go and still have 2" of up travel left?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Curbandgutter
Lowered 914's.........how low can you go and how much uptravel do you have left?

This is mine with 1" of uptravel left. and 4" of ground clearance Let's see your pics.

Click to view attachment
brant
stock suspension points in the chassis ?

lowering a car too far will blow out your shocks when you hit a bump or pot hole
I found around 5 inches to be the best ride height... but I have custom length shocks for a lowered race car.... stock shocks would need more
Mark Henry
Bottom of the page "Raised Rear Pickup Points kit."

http://www.tangerineracing.com/chassis.htm
johnhora
To keep travel

Front...Raised front spindles
Rear....Tangerine Racing raised rear shock tower
brant
QUOTE(johnhora @ Mar 3 2021, 04:33 PM) *

To keep travel

Front...Raised front spindles
Rear....Tangerine Racing raised rear shock tower

Neither are legal in my vintage club under 1972 scca rules
But there are other legal ways to accomplish the same goals.

Just harder and more expensive
Curbandgutter
Hey guys, good information, but I wanted to see how low you guys are going and how much shock travel you have left.
yeahmag
I'm VERY low to get enough negative camber in the rear. Here are my measurements:

8.0" free spring length
6.5” static spring height
17.5” top of perch to centerline of shock bolt.
13.75” shock bottomed out. Top of perch to centerline of shock bolt.
3.75” total travel from static
5.25 total spring travel (static compression + total travel)
1” clearance to frame
1” bump stop height (may not be actually doing anything)

I do run relatively high rear spring rate to try and keep from bottoming out though.
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Mar 4 2021, 09:21 AM) *

I'm VERY low to get enough negative camber in the rear. Here are my measurements:

8.0" free spring length
6.5” static spring height
17.5” top of perch to centerline of shock bolt.
13.75” shock bottomed out. Top of perch to centerline of shock bolt.
3.75” total travel from static
5.25 total spring travel (static compression + total travel)
1” clearance to frame
1” bump stop height (may not be actually doing anything)

I do run relatively high rear spring rate to try and keep from bottoming out though.

That's what I'm looking for. smile.gif So you have 3.75 of up travel? And you have 1" clearance in the static before it hits the frame? In the static position, what is the distance from ground to the pinch welds along the front and back of the longs? Thanks for your input. I'm trying to understand something on my build and this information really helps.

yeahmag
Right now with the 550lb springs I'm at 4.5" at the pinch weld.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Mar 4 2021, 03:00 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Thank you @yeamag
campbellcj
I'll measure mine this weekend. Has raised/decambered spindles in front and stock geometry in back; similarly I run 300-350lb rear springs and don't have issues with bottoming (often), custom valved bilsteins.
slivel
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Mar 4 2021, 03:00 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

What tool are you using to measure ground clearance?
yeahmag
Longacre 52-78318 Mini Chassis Height Checker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005S0YP2Q/ref=cm...=UTF8&psc=1
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Mar 5 2021, 08:53 AM) *

Longacre 52-78318 Mini Chassis Height Checker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005S0YP2Q/ref=cm...=UTF8&psc=1

Damn it......why did you have to show me this tool........my hands are shaking......must buy lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
Stltri
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Mar 5 2021, 08:53 AM) *

Cool tool!! But wouldn’t a regular tape measure give me the same measurements?
yeahmag
Try it. You'll see. It's not easy...
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Mar 5 2021, 06:48 AM) *

I'll measure mine this weekend. Has raised/decambered spindles in front and stock geometry in back; similarly I run 300-350lb rear springs and don't have issues with bottoming (often), custom valved bilsteins.

Thank you!!
Shivers
QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Mar 3 2021, 02:14 PM) *

Lowered 914's.........how low can you go and how much uptravel do you have left?

This is mine with 1" of uptravel left. and 4" of ground clearance Let's see your pics.

Click to view attachment

Wow, that looks tough. Might want to leave room for snails and such. Great build.
Curbandgutter
QUOTE(Shivers @ Mar 5 2021, 11:10 AM) *

QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Mar 3 2021, 02:14 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Wow, that looks tough. Might want to leave room for snails and such. Great build.

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif DAMN THE SNAILS!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.